Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Parents and Guardians Forum>GA Law's on Contacting Parents When Children are Sick
jessijones09 10:48 AM 03-22-2010
Ok, so I am furious!! I have a 16 month old little boy who is allergic to milk and soy and anytime he eats even a small trace of either he has an allergic reaction: vomitting and diarrhea. To the point: his father and I are divorced and his maw maw feed him chicken nuggets (which are breaded with milk) and so this morning he woke up throwing up. He only did it one time so I went ahead and brought him to daycare, as i was the only person going to be in the office today. I told his daycare workers to call me if he got sick again or just to let me know how he was doing. About 30 min later I get a phone call that he is still throwing up and has diarrhea so bad it went in the floor and splattered on the wall!!! The sticky situation is that my EX sister-in-law is the director. I tried to call his dad to come get him but of course he wont answer my calls so i call his sister (the director) to see if she can watch him until I got off. She was on her way out of town and once she found out that daycare had called and told me she was livid. Aren't there laws as to calling parents when their children are sick? Now she has the workers scared to call me and if my child is sick and no one calls me there will be hell to pay when I find out. Does anyone know the laws?
jen 03:04 PM 03-22-2010
To be completely honest with you there is no way in the world I would have taken your child had you told me he had throw up regardless of the milk situation.

I don't understand why she is upset that you were called?

If I were you I would contact your local daycare licesning agency and find out specifically what the laws are.

Also, perhaps mixing family with daycare isn't such a great idea.
momofboys 08:38 PM 03-22-2010
Originally Posted by jessijones09:
Ok, so I am furious!! I have a 16 month old little boy who is allergic to milk and soy and anytime he eats even a small trace of either he has an allergic reaction: vomitting and diarrhea. To the point: his father and I are divorced and his maw maw feed him chicken nuggets (which are breaded with milk) and so this morning he woke up throwing up. He only did it one time so I went ahead and brought him to daycare, as i was the only person going to be in the office today. I told his daycare workers to call me if he got sick again or just to let me know how he was doing. About 30 min later I get a phone call that he is still throwing up and has diarrhea so bad it went in the floor and splattered on the wall!!! The sticky situation is that my EX sister-in-law is the director. I tried to call his dad to come get him but of course he wont answer my calls so i call his sister (the director) to see if she can watch him until I got off. She was on her way out of town and once she found out that daycare had called and told me she was livid. Aren't there laws as to calling parents when their children are sick? Now she has the workers scared to call me and if my child is sick and no one calls me there will be hell to pay when I find out. Does anyone know the laws?
I am not familiar with the laws but I would not have accepted your child into care if I had known he had just thrown up regardless of the circumstance. Why did your SIL get angry about you being called? I would want to know if my child was getting ill & you have every right to know. I would strongly consider switching childcare.
Former Teacher 06:51 AM 03-23-2010
Originally Posted by janarae:
I am not familiar with the laws but I would not have accepted your child into care if I had known he had just thrown up regardless of the circumstance. Why did your SIL get angry about you being called? I would want to know if my child was getting ill & you have every right to know. I would strongly consider switching childcare.
Wow, I am kinda torn between the 2 sides. I agree with the providers end because you never know when a child throws up if its because one thing or another.

On the flip side parents will give ANY excuse just to allow their child to go to school/daycare etc so the parents can work.

While I do not doubt the OP's reasoning why the little one threw up, I have had MANY experiences of when it was something more serious and a parent would use an excuse of something else.

For example: we once had a little girl who was 9 months old. We also had 1 year old boy and another 2 year old boy. All were sent home one day due high fever. The 1 year old took the child to the dr and said it was an ear infection. The 9 month old was brought back the next day early morning and said they she ran a fever because they changed the formula () The kicker was the 2 year old. His dad said the reason why he had over 101 temp was because when I took the temp, the boy was sweating () So everytime after that when we took his temp I would say "sweat Cody sweat!"

Long story short I see both sides. I see the parents side because it could very well be something that could trigger the vomiting.

However I see the providers side (and I agree more to that end) that you never know and its better to be safe than sorry.

I hope I made sense
nannyde 07:02 AM 03-23-2010
It doesn't matter why a child is vomiting. A vomiting child FOR ANY REASON needs to have one to one care. It's a safety issue.

The primary issue here is that this child was left in the care of someone who would feed him something he is allergic to. It's the parents responsibility to make sure that whoever cares for him NEVER EVER gives him something that he is allergic to.

This has NOTHING to do with child care. Taking your child to child care knowing he had been exposed to an allergen that makes him vomit and have diarrhea is what turned this into a day care issue. You did this. It's not something that happened "to" you... it's something YOU did.

Please don't make something that is a parental issue a day care issue. It causes conflict and is not in the best interest of the child. You know your child needs special medical care after he has been exposed yet you took him to group care. Your energy and focus needs to be on the parenting skills it takes to insure he is NEVER exposed while in your designated care and to provide the one to one care he needs AFTER he is exposed should it occur. It's all about YOU and your child. Has NOTHING to do with child care. If you would have kept this between you, your X, and Me Maw you wouldn't have had this happen.

Nan
misol 07:20 AM 03-23-2010
Originally Posted by nannyde:
It doesn't matter why a child is vomiting. A vomiting child FOR ANY REASON needs to have one to one care. It's a safety issue.

The primary issue here is that this child was left in the care of someone who would feed him something he is allergic to. It's the parents responsibility to make sure that whoever cares for him NEVER EVER gives him something that he is allergic to.

This has NOTHING to do with child care. Taking your child to child care knowing he had been exposed to an allergen that makes him vomit and have diarrhea is what turned this into a day care issue. You did this. It's not something that happened "to" you... it's something YOU did.

Please don't make something that is a parental issue a day care issue. It causes conflict and is not in the best interest of the child. You know your child needs special medical care after he has been exposed yet you took him to group care. Your energy and focus needs to be on the parenting skills it takes to insure he is NEVER exposed while in your designated care and to provide the one to one care he needs AFTER he is exposed should it occur. It's all about YOU and your child. Has NOTHING to do with child care. If you would have kept this between you, your X, and Me Maw you wouldn't have had this happen.

Nan
I agree. You need to have a sit down with maw maw and explain to here\ the severity of your son's allergies. Let her know that if she can't follow the eating guidelines, then she will not be asked to care for him - ever. To help her out, you may even provide her with a list of foods that are safe for him to eat or even pack food (like a certain brand of nuggets without soy) and send it with him. I would hate to ever forbid grandparents from seeing their grandchildren but she has to understand that there could be serious and possibly fatal consequences to her actions.
Former Teacher 07:45 AM 03-23-2010
Originally Posted by nannyde:

Nan
I agree and I couldn't have said it better!
Unregistered 06:04 PM 03-23-2010
I think what she was asking, though, was what are the laws concerning a daycare calling the parent when their child is sick. I've never heard of it being against the law for a daycare to call the parent. It makes no sense what the ex sister-in-law said. If there is any law concerning this, I would think it would be more like you HAVE to call the parent and have them come get their child if they're sick, because it could be contagious. And the diarrhea on the floor and wall isn't "sanitary", so I would think that would be all the more reason for a parent to be called to come get their child so it doesn't happen again.
Sounds to me like maybe your ex-sister-in-law is using her position to get back at you because you and her brother are no longer married?
MarinaVanessa 07:13 AM 03-24-2010
Contacting the licensing office is your best bet. See, regulations and laws change from state to state and the only way to find out is to call licensing and ask. Most states have a law that requires the provider to call the parent and absolutely have the child picked up. NO MATTER WHAT. Here by law a sick child cannot even attend childcare. If your SIL chose to keep your daughter in her daycare because of the family relationship well that's on her and totally her decision.

I agree that the situation could have been avoided on the parent side by simply not taking the child to daycare but it also could have been avoided by not accepting the child in care by the daycare as well. I don't think it;s fair to have the blame put on the parent entirely. As a provider it is up to me to say NO to a parent when they push (and you know they do). I live in CA and here it's law. Your baby sick? Baby can't be here. Sounds to me like SIL did this because the child in question is a niece of hers. Would she have accepted another child in the same situation that wasn't related to her? Probably not. It's great that the child in this case was sick because of an allergic reaction and not because of an infectious disease but the child is still sick to the point that child runs to the floor? Hmm, wouldn't want my child in care if my child was sick.
nannyde 09:15 AM 03-24-2010
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
It's great that the child in this case was sick because of an allergic reaction and not because of an infectious disease but the child is still sick to the point that child runs to the floor? Hmm, wouldn't want my child in care if my child was sick.
See that's the problem though. As providers you have parents who claim that their child is having the excludable illnesses based on non contagious diagnoisis. In this case we have a parent saying the vomiting and diahrrea is because of allergies... we have parents saying the copious amount of green snot drainage is allergies... the purlent drainage from the eyes seen in pink eye is allergies.

I think most providers would agree that 90 plus percent of the time a child presents with excludable illness it is attributed by the parents to be: ear infections (not contagious), allergies (not contagious), teething (not contagious). By the time the truth comes out you have a house full of sick kids.

We have to go by the symptoms not the parents delcaration of the cause. Have you EVER had a kid who had a milk allergy and had a very small amount of it the day before and then had mutliple vomitings at home and day care and BLOWING diarrhea? A provider could go her entire career and NEVER see that.

Regardless the parent shouldn't put the provider in a position to decide admitance. Vomiting and blowing diarrhea should be done at home for both children and adults. People with vomiting and blowing diarrhea should not be in public. It's very simple.

Nan
Tags:georgia, illness policy, notice, vomiting
Reply Up