Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Technology Which Helps to Prevent Hot Car Deaths
Michael 11:15 PM 05-22-2019
4 technologies designed to prevent Hot Car Deaths: https://abcnews.go.com/US/technologi...ry?id=47991074

https://www.evenflo.com/sensorsafe/sensorsafe.html is a technology found in some car seats from the brand Evenflo. There is a receiver that goes into your car’s diagnostics port, a socket located inside a vehicle that accesses various vehicle subsystems where small receivers can be installed to tap into a car's computer system. That receiver communicates with the car seat's smart chest clip – letting the driver know through a series of chimes whether a child is still in the seat after the car is turned off.

Waze, a popular traffic app, has a setting that will remind a driver to check his or her back seat when a destination entered into the app is reached. But it won’t alert a driver during an impromptu stop. As Faris pulled into the driveway for her Waze destination, she received an alert before she turned off the car: "Check your car before you leave."

Driver’s Little Helper Sensor System is a sensor system sold at several major retailers that can be put in a car seat. The sensor goes under the car seat padding where the child sits. The sensor is then attached to a battery pack and synced with an app. You can set when you want the app to send you notifications after you stop the car. You can set the interval for when you receive the notification -- the fastest being a minute.

General Motor's Rear Seat Reminder System: This feature in some GM cars uses back door sensors that become activated when either the rear door is opened or closed within 10 minutes of the vehicle being started, or while the vehicle is running. Under these circumstances, when you reach your destination a reminder appears on the dashboard as well as an audible chime notification. When Faris opened the rear door before starting the car and then turned off the car, this reminder popped up on the dashboard: "Rear Seat Reminder. Look In Rear Seat."
Josiegirl 02:14 AM 05-23-2019
Pretty sad when we need to be reminded by gadgets that our beloved child is with us. Yet evidently so very much needed!
Now how to get them out there to every single parent??!!
Blackcat31 06:32 AM 05-23-2019
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
Pretty sad when we need to be reminded by gadgets that our beloved child is with us. Yet evidently so very much needed!
Now how to get them out there to every single parent??!!
Yes these are really cool devices and I totally understand that technology drives our lives now days but I am sure that there will be stories where someone has a child die and they will say they couldn't afford any of the devices available.

It's maddening that it happens at all.
Mike 10:55 AM 05-23-2019
It's sad that ideas like that are even needed, but they are. Just need to get parents, and anyone else who drives children around, to know about the risk of hot car deaths so they will do something to be on the safe side.
happymom 10:59 AM 05-23-2019
I use the waze app, but it only works if you use it for directions everywhere you go.

I set it up to remember that I go to work every day and it tells me when I need to leave the house, but unless I click on it to "get directions" it doesn't tell me to check my car seats.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say MOST people don't use waze to get them to and from work/home because they already know how to get there.
Ariana 11:04 AM 05-23-2019
This will likely be tax funded soon. I can imagine a lot of lawsuits when these apps, technologies fail.
Tags:car safety, hot car death prevention, hot car deaths
Reply Up