Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Two Babies
momofboys 04:43 AM 09-04-2012
Who manages two babies? Is it as hard as I think it will be? I don't have 2 babies in care now - in fact neither have even been born but a current client is due around Christmas & will bring new baby in late Feb/early March & a new client is due in November & plans to begin with their baby right after Christmas while the other family is on maternity leave. I would have about 6-8 weeks of time with the one baby before baby #2 would start - but still baby #1 will be about 3-4months old when baby #2 begin at 2-months. The kiddos are both so young that I am not certain if I can handle it although the one family will only be here 3 days/week. I am still uncertain. Anyone care for babies close in age? What requirements do you ask parents to abide by?
SilverSabre25 04:54 AM 09-04-2012
DS was born last June; DCB was born late August. When dcb started with me in January, I was very nervous but it has all been just fine.
momofboys 05:12 AM 09-04-2012
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
DS was born last June; DCB was born late August. When dcb started with me in January, I was very nervous but it has all been just fine.
Thanks for the words of advice - makes me more comfortable! These are my only families in care too so even when I have 2 babies & one toddler (will be @ 23 months old by the time both babies are here) & my own PK-age child (4 1/2) who attends preschool half a day I would think it should be manageable - still a tad bit nervous.
MyAngels 05:42 AM 09-04-2012
I've done two babies quite often. My two youngest right now are four months apart. I've done twins as infants three times so far. It's not too difficult if you can just get their sleeping/eating patterns figured out quickly.
queenbee 06:11 AM 09-04-2012
Definitely get a good, solid schedule going for the babies regarding feedings and naptimes. It's important to get them both on the same schedule so that you have breaks during the day.

I currently have a 6mo in care, and next month I'll be getting two- 2mo, and a 4mo. It is more than manageable if you have everything planned out and if possible, have bottles premade. I've already planned out a schedule for them and I have a 1.5 hour break when all 4 are napping in the afternoon with my older kids.

I've been known to get grumpy when I don't get an afternoon break
Lyss 06:28 AM 09-04-2012
Originally Posted by queenbee:
Definitely get a good, solid schedule going for the babies regarding feedings and naptimes. It's important to get them both on the same schedule so that you have breaks during the day.
Agreed!!

I currently have two 9month olds, my DD and DCG. I started DCG at 3 1/2mos so at the time i had two 3 1/2 month olds (they are a week apart). Getting onto a schedule was a challenge for DCG and parents because their drop off was so inconsistent (one day its 8am the next 10:30, occasionally a 12:30pm drop off...) but I had a talk with mom and dad about the importance of a schedule and that really helped!
Willow 06:54 AM 09-04-2012
I currently have an 8 week old and a 10 week old. Even if they both happen to wake and want to eat at the same time it's a bit of a juggling act but we mange just fine. I don't push schedules because I'm more of an AP/on demand type parent/provider although I could see if one has a larger group how that would make things easier.

Hubby and I are also TTC

I fostered premie twin girls when my kids were 1 and 2 respectively. Coming out the other side of that alive proved to me from that point on that with the right perspective I could do anything LOL!
Blackcat31 08:05 AM 09-04-2012
I have a 6 week old and a 6 month old right now. I also have 4 two year olds in my mix...so we get a bit crazy but everyone is pretty laid back and understands how to "wait a minute". It isn't tough, just get a routine going and pretty soon it is all second nature.

It does start off a little chaotic when you are first getting to know the babies' schedules and routines but after a day or two it is all a walk in the park.
cheerfuldom 08:39 AM 09-04-2012
totally doable provided both are on good routines.
MN Day Mom 08:54 AM 09-04-2012
I often have two infants. It does make the day a bit more challenging, but it is doable. Getting them both on schedules will help a lot and getting the other kids to learn that sometimes they will just have to wait a bit longer than they are used too. I think my biggest challenge was getting outside time to work well... that is always a work in progress for me LOL.
Jessie 10:26 AM 09-04-2012
Well - my response is a little different, but I am sort of a newbie at this. Until recently I had two babies here, and I found it to be really, really hard. They were about 4 months apart, but the younger one was super colicky, and we just never seemed to hit a good rythym. She cried (and I mean SCREAMED) all the time, so I was always trying to soothe her, while the other baby spent a lot of time hanging around by himself, and the two toddlers got into a lot of fights. I ended up having to let the family go, which I felt really bad about, but I'm glad I did it because I'm enjoying my work much more now.

I know it can be done, but pace yourself, and don't feel bad if you find it overwhelming!
SunflowerMama 10:45 AM 09-04-2012
It's totally doable and I definitely agree with everyone else about getting them on a schedule. I actually have 3 infants right now (7months, 8 months and 9 months). Getting them on the same eating/sleeping schedule has been a huge lifesaver. They do everything together and some days can be a little chaotic at times but for the most part totally fine!
Angelsj 11:13 AM 09-04-2012
Originally Posted by queenbee:

I currently have a 6mo in care, and next month I'll be getting two- 2mo, and a 4mo. It is more than manageable if you have everything planned out and if possible, have bottles premade. I've already planned out a schedule for them and I have a 1.5 hour break when all 4 are napping in the afternoon with my older kids.

I've been known to get grumpy when I don't get an afternoon break
Is it legal in your state to care for four infant under age one? Here we are only allowed 2 max.
queenbee 11:49 AM 09-04-2012
Originally Posted by Angelsj:
Is it legal in your state to care for four infant under age one? Here we are only allowed 2 max.
Our Infants are from birth - 2 years. I have a permanent assistant and a part-time assistant which allows me to have more infants
Angelsj 03:55 PM 09-04-2012
Ah, I see. I wish. I have a young assistant that helps but can't up my count at all. Here I am struggling to find a substitute, much less any permanent help. Sigh.
Reply Up