Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Have You Ever Had...
melilley 11:02 AM 02-24-2014
an awesome day because one child wasn't present?

Today, I had :
NO arguing
NO screaming (fun screaming only)
NO toy stealing
NO fits
NO hitting or kicking of my floors/walls
NO constantly having to talk to a certain child
NO frustration (the kids and myself)

And the list goes on and on.....

All because one child is not present today...makes me think...
Onetiredmom 11:06 AM 02-24-2014
Yes! I recently termed a DCB. DCB was 3 and was the child who was always arguing, fighting, whining, and making things difficult. Since he's been gone, the rest of the DCK play so much nicer; there is so much less fighting and arguing. My days are much less stressful. Definitely confirms I made the right decision in letting that particular family go. It's amazing the difference one child can make in group dynamics!
melilley 11:11 AM 02-24-2014
Originally Posted by Onetiredmom:
Yes! I recently termed a DCB. DCB was 3 and was the child who was always arguing, fighting, whining, and making things difficult. Since he's been gone, the rest of the DCK play so much nicer; there is so much less fighting and arguing. My days are much less stressful. Definitely confirms I made the right decision in letting that particular family go. It's amazing the difference one child can make in group dynamics!
Yes, mine is 2.5 and I've had problems with him for about a year now, but I keep thinking I don't want to give up on him. Mom, dad, and I had a talk and we are all trying to do the same things here-in terms of how what to do when he acts out (which is all the time) and at both of their homes, but it just doesn't seem to be working. Plus mom and dad are going through a divorce so I know it's hard on dcb, but he was like this before that.
daycarediva 11:20 AM 02-24-2014
Yup, and once I realize the impact that one child is making on 5 (and myself) I do everything I can to move forward with either correcting the behavior or ending the contract.

I have learned the hard way that what parents are SAYING they are doing and what they actually ARE doing are two different things. If everyone is consistent, every time, you would be seeing progress in a YEARs time frame, or there is something more going on with that particular child.

It's not fair to you or the kids to continue to deal with it on a day to day basis.
Blackcat31 11:23 AM 02-24-2014
For me, it wasn't a particular child but a particular age group.

Once I eliminated that age, it because a much more enjoyable job!

In cases like yours, I think that what you are feeling speaks volumes about the absent child and the role he/she plays within your program.

If he/she really can't get alone well with others and really does cause that much stress amongst the masses, it might be time for a replacement.
melilley 11:25 AM 02-24-2014
A parent even walked in today and mentioned how quiet and calm it was!
melilley 11:31 AM 02-24-2014
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
Yup, and once I realize the impact that one child is making on 5 (and myself) I do everything I can to move forward with either correcting the behavior or ending the contract.

I have learned the hard way that what parents are SAYING they are doing and what they actually ARE doing are two different things. If everyone is consistent, every time, you would be seeing progress in a YEARs time frame, or there is something more going on with that particular child.

It's not fair to you or the kids to continue to deal with it on a day to day basis.
Mom has mentioned that she has let things slide, even after our talk so I know she isn't consistent in doing what we talked about. I think she does do it, but not all the time. I also think this child needs some type of intervention because his behavior is over the top. I think mom knows this deep down, but keeps making excuses that she'll wait 6 more months (or however long at the time) to see if things change or blames it on the fact that he can't really talk yet. No, it's deeper than that.

I agree and I have known this for a long time, I'm just having a hard time letting him go, but after today I know that that's what I want to do, at least for my sanity!
melilley 11:36 AM 02-24-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
For me, it wasn't a particular child but a particular age group.

Once I eliminated that age, it because a much more enjoyable job!

In cases like yours, I think that what you are feeling speaks volumes about the absent child and the role he/she plays within your program.

If he/she really can't get alone well with others and really does cause that much stress amongst the masses, it might be time for a replacement.
So true!
He will go in spurts as far as getting along with the other kids, but it's a daily battle with him over everything and that causes stress for everyone.

I know what I have to do, dh has been telling me this for a long time too. I'm going to get out of my "too nice, feeling bad" mode and do what I know deep down that I have to do. I love mom though so it's going to be hard!
LadyPearl 11:50 AM 02-24-2014
I have one of those! My own kids prefer "no daycare" days primarily because of this child. I am just beginning the whole daycare process so I'm hoping that by the end of summer I will have more kids and know if I want him to stay or go. He is such an instigator of all the other kids so we'll see what he's like when more are around. I'm not that hopeful.....
taylorw1210 11:54 AM 02-24-2014
I had a DCG I wish I would have term'd after her mother pulled her because things changes so drastically when she left. I spent weeks thinking to myself, "How did I not realize her behavior was making our days so difficult?" I had more time to work with the kids individually because I wasn't on her case all the time, the other kids got along better, rules were followed more often, etc.
mema 11:54 AM 02-24-2014
Yes! Every Monday. As soon as I can get a replacement, I will. Unfortunately, the age group is almost impossible to fill.
2 young 2 feel this old 12:12 PM 02-24-2014
I am having one of those days. Funny thing, the DCB out today is not the one I usually have to shadow. Do you ever have DCK's with personalities that individually are great but when together make you want to pull your hair out? Counting the days until kindergarten.
Leigh 12:29 PM 02-24-2014
Today is that day! My first day without the 2 that I termed last week. Today there has been no yelling, no fighting, no punching, no biting, no defiance, no damages to my home, no chaos whatsoever, just a few little boys playing happily together and having fun. BEST DAY EVER.
TwinKristi 12:32 PM 02-24-2014
Yes! This DCB comes on a drop-in basis only now and it's like night and day!
Oss_cc 12:52 PM 02-24-2014
Yes! Mine was a part timer, 2-3 days a week. I just termed her because of it and my days are going so much more smoothly. It's amazing the amount of chaos/stress one kid can add.
Reply Up