Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Fitted PNP sheets. Help?
preschoolteacher 12:47 PM 06-22-2014
I have a Graco PNP bought new in 2012 and Graco PNP sheets made just for it.

My licensor said the sheets aren't fitted "enough." She suggested putting velcro strips on the bottom of the pad and on the sheet where it pulls over around the pad so I can velcro is down super tight. This isn't a rule or regulation. Just something she likes people to do.

Is this reasonable? Do you modify sheets to make them even more fitted? Seriously, nothing is bunching up here. A child could not suffocate on this fitted sheet.
BumbleBee 01:31 PM 06-22-2014
She can like people to do it as much as she wants. If it's not a rule or regulation and I felt there wasn't a danger with the way it was I'd just leave it how it is.

I'm not making more work for myself because of what a licensor "likes people to do"
craftymissbeth 01:38 PM 06-22-2014
imo, modifying a child's sleeping space in a way that wasn't intended by the manufacturer could be dangerous.

If you're going to be dinged for it she needs to provide the specific regulation that shows just how fitted the sheet needs to be. Also, is she willing to accept liability for if something were to go awry because of the modifications? I'd guess that the answer would be no.

I would speak to someone at the state level and see if this is something that is a) normally recommended and b) safe.
craftymissbeth 01:39 PM 06-22-2014
Actually, I'd even go as far as emailing or writing the manufacturers of both the PNP and the sheets and see what they recommend as far as modifying their products.
Angelsj 01:39 PM 06-22-2014
I love these. They fit on the pack and play mattress like a pillowcase.
I cut a tiny slit for each of the velcro strips to come through and attach the mattress to the base.
Heidi 04:10 PM 06-22-2014
Originally Posted by craftymissbeth:
imo, modifying a child's sleeping space in a way that wasn't intended by the manufacturer could be dangerous.

If you're going to be dinged for it she needs to provide the specific regulation that shows just how fitted the sheet needs to be. Also, is she willing to accept liability for if something were to go awry because of the modifications? I'd guess that the answer would be no.

I would speak to someone at the state level and see if this is something that is a) normally recommended and b) safe.
A small piece of Velcro could be pulled off and be a chocking hazard. A bigger likelihood, I think than a slightly loose sheet.

I have the same problem, and I worry I'll get cited (because I know others in my state have). The first set of sheets I bought were ok, but not great. They were "hard" cotton. Then, I bought some stretch cotton ones, which were better. I needed more, so I ordered the same ones, and they're kind of loose after a couple washings.

All my babies are 10 months or older. If they wanted to, they could pull ANY sheet out.
Blackcat31 04:51 PM 06-22-2014
Originally Posted by preschoolteacher:
I have a Graco PNP bought new in 2012 and Graco PNP sheets made just for it.

My licensor said the sheets aren't fitted "enough." She suggested putting velcro strips on the bottom of the pad and on the sheet where it pulls over around the pad so I can velcro is down super tight. This isn't a rule or regulation. Just something she likes people to do.

Is this reasonable? Do you modify sheets to make them even more fitted? Seriously, nothing is bunching up here. A child could not suffocate on this fitted sheet.
Wow! Your licensor is going to put velcro strips on the bottoms of your PNP pad and sheets?!?! That is awesome!

Kidding... but seriously, I would explain to her that you do not feel comfortable modifying something when there is no guarantee it would be any safer than the manufacturer suggests and could possibly create a liability to YOU if something did happen...kwim?

Like PP said, she can "like", "prefer" and/or "suggest" anything she wants but unless it is a written regulation from the state that she can back up with proof, I will follow the state rules ONLY.

Even if it meant she cited me for it because I would fight it kicking and screaming the whole way.
Laurel 05:51 AM 06-23-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Wow! Your licensor is going to put velcro strips on the bottoms of your PNP pad and sheets?!?! That is awesome!

Kidding... but seriously, I would explain to her that you do not feel comfortable modifying something when there is no guarantee it would be any safer than the manufacturer suggests and could possibly create a liability to YOU if something did happen...kwim?

Like PP said, she can "like", "prefer" and/or "suggest" anything she wants but unless it is a written regulation from the state that she can back up with proof, I will follow the state rules ONLY.

Even if it meant she cited me for it because I would fight it kicking and screaming the whole way.

This plus a seasoned provider told me (when I was just starting) that anytime an inspector wanted something to ask her nicely to show it to you in the regulations. If she cannot then ask her to put it in writing that you must do it and both of you sign it. That alone, should make her back off especially if you write on the paper that you feel it might be a safety hazard from choking and a danger to the child and you don't feel comfortable doing it.

You can also nicely go over their head. Provider's here have had success with that. It should all be done as nicely and professional as possible. An "I feel uncomfortable about doing this so I would like to run this by a supervisor, could you give me their name?" Big smile.

Laurel
Unregistered 08:59 AM 06-23-2014
I got a postcard for an etsy site called fit2sleep that got good reviews on pnp sheets.
crazydaycarelady 02:13 PM 06-23-2014
Um.....NO!
TwinKristi 02:23 PM 06-23-2014
The fitted sheets I have are quite snug and fit well. It doesn't cover the Velcro used to affix the bed to the bottom either.
mema 11:52 AM 06-24-2014
Our licensors pull hard on the corners. Any lifting and we get a $200 fine per pnp that lifts the sheet slightly. I made pillow case ones before my last visit just to make sure. I used flat sheets (ds hates them, so I have a bunch of unsed ones). In 30 minutes I can make 2 sheets (assuming my stupid machine doesn't go haywire).
Tags:fitted play yard sheets, pack n play sheets
Reply Up