Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
1 2
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>2018 Hot Car Deaths
LysesKids 11:40 AM 07-16-2018
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
Another child was left in a car about 2 hours north of me. Dad went into the courthouse to pay a fine and forgot child was in the back of the car.

Thankfully a passerbyer saw the child and broke out the window. When dad came out he was furious with the person till he saw them holding the baby.

So I'm wondering, the people that leave babies in the car that are rescued, will they be held accountable? I haven't read anything with these parents being arrested or anything. So it sounds as if they are able to leave with the child.

Another child died in CA today or yesterday. Got out of the house, and was able to get into the car and couldn't get out. Found hours later deceased. Mother blamed the locks on the door of the house wasn't safe enough to keep child in.
And my daycare families always ask why I have alarms on my doors... so if a toddler gets it open it sounds off & lets me know a door opened that shouldn't; it's also Why I have locked gated deck doors, so if a child does get out the screen, they can't get to the steps or off the porch
Josiegirl 02:27 AM 07-17-2018
Originally Posted by LysesKids:
And my daycare families always ask why I have alarms on my doors... so if a toddler gets it open it sounds off & lets me know a door opened that shouldn't; it's also Why I have locked gated deck doors, so if a child does get out the screen, they can't get to the steps or off the porch
It's scary what little ones can get themselves into, and how quickly. Even when we think we've got our eyes on everyone.
Annalee 05:57 AM 07-17-2018
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
It's scary what little ones can get themselves into, and how quickly. Even when we think we've got our eyes on everyone.
Kids can quickly get into things but I still can't fathom leaving my child in a car especially for all day! Just can't grasp that!
Blackcat31 09:14 AM 07-20-2018
3 yr old boy dies after being forgotten in a daycare van for hours after field trip....

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime...cid=spartanntp
happymom 09:15 AM 07-20-2018
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
3 yr old boy dies after being forgotten in a daycare van for hours after field trip....

so heartbreaking
Cat Herder 09:29 AM 07-20-2018

A simple walkthrough.

Following standard procedures and completing one final walkthrough is all it would have taken to prevent this.

If employees won't keep up with headcounts and attendance, a walkthrough will still save lives.

We know this stuff. Have for decades.
Cat Herder 09:36 AM 07-20-2018
2 boys died yesterday. We are up to 26. http://www.courant.com/breaking-news...720-story.html 2 year old boy recovering.

26 7/19/2018 Houston, TX 93° Boy 3 yr
25 7/19/2018 West Haven, CT 79° Boy 4 yr
Blackcat31 09:49 AM 07-20-2018
A happy ending....

https://abcnews.go.com/US/avoided-di...ry?id=56686808
Annalee 09:52 AM 07-20-2018
A happy ending....

https://abcnews.go.com/US/avoided-di...ry?id=56686808
Saw this on the news yesterday and she had dropped other kids off beforehand and forgot this one.....just how does this happen?
Blackcat31 09:56 AM 07-20-2018
Originally Posted by Annalee:
Saw this on the news yesterday and she had dropped other kids off beforehand and forgot this one.....just how does this happen?
24 minutes between the time the EMT's/police arrived and mom exited the store to see what was going on near her car.
24 minutes.......
Annalee 09:58 AM 07-20-2018
24 minutes between the time the EMT's/police arrived and mom exited the store to see what was going on near her car.
24 minutes.......
And I think this mom was a nurse, correct? she said she saw this on the news alot but never thought it could happen to her. I wondered if she thought it would just be a few minutes and she intentionally left the kid in the car?????
Country Kids 12:28 PM 07-20-2018
Yes, she is an emergency room nurse.

He was ok thankfully!!!
Meeko 07:47 AM 07-25-2018
All so tragic.

What really gets me worked up is comments like:

"They should put something important like their phone or purse in the back seat, so that way they can't forget..."

You DO have something important in the back seat! YOUR CHILD!!!!!!
Blackcat31 08:09 AM 07-25-2018
Originally Posted by Meeko:
All so tragic.

What really gets me worked up is comments like:

"They should put something important like their phone or purse in the back seat, so that way they can't forget..."

You DO have something important in the back seat! YOUR CHILD!!!!!!
It's absolutely puzzling that society even accepts that statement.....

Like we all understand how important our purses or cell phones are but not a child.
Cat Herder 08:11 AM 07-25-2018
28, now.

28 7/19/2018 Houston, TX 93° Raymond Pryer 3 yr
27 7/19/2018 West Haven, CT 79° Dusan Jenkins 4 yr
26 7/14/2018 Medina, OH 93° Girl 6 mo
25 7/13/2018 Pembroke Pines, FL 93° Eli Douglas Bird 17 mo
24 7/9/2018 Sweetwater, TN 87° Greg Puckett 3 yr
23 7/7/2018 South Sacramento, CA 95° Alejandro Lopez Jr. 2 yr
22 7/4/2018 Moniteau County, MO 95° Girl 5 yr
21 6/29/2018 Frankfort, KY 91° Calvin Hedges 3 yr
20 6/21/2018 Roseburg, OR 81° Remington Engler 21 mo
19 6/20/2018 Willits, CA 80° Chergery Teywoh Lew Mays 18 mo
18 6/19/2018 Kingsland, GA 92° Slade Edison Horne 7 mo
17 6/15/2018 Spartanburg, SC 91° King Trammel 18 mo
16 6/14/2018 Vancleave, MS 89° Kash Barhonovich 10 mo
15 6/9/2018 Crittenden, KY 95° Lillian Danielle Kerr 2 yr
14 6/8/2018 Raleigh, NC 87° Hakeem Mussa 7 mo
13 6/4/2018 Baytown, TX 91° Maria Solorio 9 mo
12 6/3/2018 Anderson, IN 90° Hannah Grace Miller 3 yr
11 5/31/2018 Pelzer, SC 85° Joe Avery James Lockaby 18 mo
10 5/23/2018 East Nashville, TN 90° Katera Barker 1 yr
9 5/18/2018 Andalusia, AL 91° Laila Marie Dees 4 yr
8 5/16/2018 Eagle Pass, TX 99° Girl 7 mo
7 5/15/2018 Shreveport, LA 91° Addyson Blackburn 6 mo
6 5/10/2018 Chesterfield, VA 83° Girl 5 mo
5 5/10/2018 Chesterfield, VA 83° Boy 5 mo
4 4/3/2018 North Charleston, SC 84° Jack Duggan 10 mo
3 3/26/2018 Superior, AZ 71° Lorenzo Michael Velasquez 2 yr
2 3/262018 Superior, AZ 71° Brooklyn Velasquez 9 mo
1 2/28/2018 Miami, FL 81° Damon Cruz 1 yr
Cat Herder 12:32 PM 07-26-2018
29, now.

29 7/24/2018 New Albany, IN 90° Aiden Miller 3 mo

http://www.kfvs12.com/story/38730862...ce-investigate

Aaron Turner is the father of the infant, Aiden Miller, and says his son was with his mother and his sister. Aiden was supposed to go to day care, but he never made it.

Aiden's mother was supposed to drop their two children off at different daycares, according to Turner. After one was dropped off, Aiden was left in the car in the parking lot of his mother's work.
Josiegirl 03:55 PM 07-26-2018
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
29, now.

Aaron Turner is the father of the infant, Aiden Miller, and says his son was with his mother and his sister. Aiden was supposed to go to day care, but he never made it.

Aiden's mother was supposed to drop their two children off at different daycares, according to Turner. After one was dropped off, Aiden was left in the car in the parking lot of his mother's work.
Cannot begin to imagine. I just can't.
Country Kids 01:21 PM 07-28-2018
The oldest child on this list was FIVE YEARS OLD!!!! Does anyone know the story behind that story? A five year old should be able to open the door, yell, scream, get out somehow.

Why does no one hearing these babies and children crying and screaming in these cars?????
Mike 02:05 PM 07-28-2018
29, now.

Now that's crazy remembering one but forgetting another.

The oldest child on this list was FIVE YEARS OLD!!!! Does anyone know the story behind that story? A five year old should be able to open the door, yell, scream, get out somehow.

Why does no one hearing these babies and children crying and screaming in these cars?????
You would think a 5 yo would get people's attention somehow. I wonder if people just didn't want to get involved. It's possible the car was somewhere where nobody sees it.
Cat Herder 06:07 AM 07-29-2018
Originally Posted by Mike:
Now that's crazy remembering one but forgetting another.
If she was lucky enough to have had a maternity leave, she would have only been transporting the three month old for six weeks. Maybe even less if she had FMLA, too or Dad did some drops. Two different daycares and a new baby would be a big change in routine and a greater risk, IMHO.

If Dad would have taken one child, if child care provider would have called, if she had been pulled over for speeding, if she had taken youngest first, if baby had cried, if, if, if.

So many of these have the same predictable pattern. It is so frustrating watching it play out year after year.
Country Kids 02:20 PM 07-31-2018
A three month old little boy was left in the back seat of a car yesterday in Ohio and passed because of the heat.

Authorities have stated they will not file charges because she made a mistake and did not intentionally commit a crime.

Looks like it is a case by case incident if the parent will be charged or not.
Blackcat31 03:09 PM 07-31-2018
A three month old little boy was left in the back seat of a car yesterday in Ohio and passed because of the heat.

Authorities have stated they will not file charges because she made a mistake and did not intentionally commit a crime.

Looks like it is a case by case incident if the parent will be charged or not.
Imagine for a second that this story was exactly the same (outcome and everything) but instead of forgetting baby in car the baby was forgotten at home.

I bet the parent would be charged with neglect and all sorts of things. But for some reason "in the car" changes things.

This topic is so sad and infuriating.

I totally understand the parent's stories and how it happened to them but yet I don't. Maybe IF the penalties were consistent and stiff.....the thoughtless autopilot like process that happens wouldn't happen. I don't know.

A child dying is just so awful. They didn't even get a chance...

The sloughing off of responsibility though stuns me. Not only in this type of situation but alot of parent situations.
Take Bode Miller for example....his 19 month old DD drowned recently. The headline yesterday? Bode Miller wants to know why he wasn't informed about the dangers of drowning by his child's pediatrician. Really?
Country Kids 03:27 PM 07-31-2018
Imagine for a second that this story was exactly the same (outcome and everything) but instead of forgetting baby in car the baby was forgotten at home.

I bet the parent would be charged with neglect and all sorts of things. But for some reason "in the car" changes things.

This topic is so sad and infuriating.

I totally understand the parent's stories and how it happened to them but yet I don't. Maybe IF the penalties were consistent and stiff.....the thoughtless autopilot like process that happens wouldn't happen. I don't know.

A child dying is just so awful. They didn't even get a chance...

The sloughing off of responsibility though stuns me. Not only in this type of situation but alot of parent situations.
Take Bode Miller for example....his 19 month old DD drowned recently. The headline yesterday? Bode Miller wants to know why he wasn't informed about the dangers of drowning by his child's pediatrician. Really?
I so get the auto pilot thing-has happened twice to me in the last month. With in 30 seconds of getting in my car I totally spaced where I needed to be going and went the way I usually went. Thankfully I didn't have a child in the car but it shows even someone like me who doesn't have little ones can go auto pilot forgetting where they should be going.

I think even with stiff penalties, the auto pilot would kick in, especially with a change in scheduling.

I had to do a paper last term on how to educate parents more on the dangers of smoking and drinking while pregnant and where to post the information. These kind of warnings have been happening forever! If parents don't want to listen or think it can't happen to them, they won't take the information in.

If an Olympic athlete does not know the dangers of a pool around a child, how much more can one be educated.
Josiegirl 02:25 AM 08-01-2018
I so get the auto pilot thing-has happened twice to me in the last month. With in 30 seconds of getting in my car I totally spaced where I needed to be going and went the way I usually went. Thankfully I didn't have a child in the car but it shows even someone like me who doesn't have little ones can go auto pilot forgetting where they should be going.

I think even with stiff penalties, the auto pilot would kick in, especially with a change in scheduling.

I had to do a paper last term on how to educate parents more on the dangers of smoking and drinking while pregnant and where to post the information. These kind of warnings have been happening forever! If parents don't want to listen or think it can't happen to them, they won't take the information in.

If an Olympic athlete does not know the dangers of a pool around a child, how much more can one be educated.
I get auto-pilot too. I used to leave cupcakes sitting on the top of my car while driving my kids around, or even still pass the turn to the bank when my mind is elsewhere. But come on, kids????? Leaving them in the car?? It's incomprehensible to me how something can be so much more important than that sweet dear little life sitting snug and safe in a carseat, needing our complete care and protection.
And reading about not knowing the dangers of water and children???? WTF It says way more about the dad than the pedi.
Has our country gotten so bad about passing the blame or being so totally self-involved that our own children have become the sad victims in our selfishness?? Aren't we the ones who have been given a precious gift of a baby to protect, love and take care of throughout their lives, until they can care for themselves??

There has got to be something done to the parents or whoever is responsible. Yes, I feel terribly sad and bad for what they're going through and unless it was done intentionally(I shudder at the thought) they will live with that guilt forever. BUT it does not absolve them from what they're responsible for. Prison time, no. But it needs to cost them somehow. Maybe in terms of speaking engagements to teach, community service, or money to fund programs....something.
amberrose3dg 05:14 AM 08-01-2018
I get auto-pilot too. I used to leave cupcakes sitting on the top of my car while driving my kids around, or even still pass the turn to the bank when my mind is elsewhere. But come on, kids????? Leaving them in the car?? It's incomprehensible to me how something can be so much more important than that sweet dear little life sitting snug and safe in a carseat, needing our complete care and protection.
And reading about not knowing the dangers of water and children???? WTF It says way more about the dad than the pedi.
Has our country gotten so bad about passing the blame or being so totally self-involved that our own children have become the sad victims in our selfishness?? Aren't we the ones who have been given a precious gift of a baby to protect, love and take care of throughout their lives, until they can care for themselves??

There has got to be something done to the parents or whoever is responsible. Yes, I feel terribly sad and bad for what they're going through and unless it was done intentionally(I shudder at the thought) they will live with that guilt forever. BUT it does not absolve them from what they're responsible for. Prison time, no. But it needs to cost them somehow. Maybe in terms of speaking engagements to teach, community service, or money to fund programs....something.
This topic is such a hot button for me. I honestly do not get how you forget your kid(s) in the car. You go into autopilot mode and do not drive to the school,daycare etc... I mean come on.You probably shouldn't be driving in that state if you do not know where you are even going!.Every parent now knows the dangers yet here we are in 2018 with over 50+ cases of this?Something has to be done about it.How is this not neglect at the minimum but like blackcat said if they left the child at home it would be? I cannot help to also think some of these "accidents" are awful ways for parents to be rid of their kids. It happens way too often for it not to be a sinister act every now and then. Parents that forget their kids and cause their death should be held accountable. Sorry but whether you had brain fog or intentionally did it you are responsible. Maybe you stop being so self involved to forget your most precious possession in life in the back seat!!
amberrose3dg 05:18 AM 08-01-2018
Cannot begin to imagine. I just can't.
I call some bull**** on this one!
You drop one off and you forget your baby.
Blackcat31 06:11 AM 08-01-2018
I think if the penalties were super stiff/harsh, that it would be something we constantly keep at the front of our brains.

Take liability in child care.... I know that because liability has the power to literally ruin me....it's something I think about every single day within every single activity and interaction with a DCK and their family. I think "liability" when browsing toys or materials for daycare, I think "liability" when creating, enforcing or eliminating policies. I think "liability" when transitioning from one activity to another, when serving lunch, when the kids are being dropped off and picked up. I never stop thinking about liability.

Has our country gotten so bad about passing the blame or being so totally self-involved that our own children have become the sad victims in our selfishness??
This made me think of some stupid challenge going around called the "kiki challenge". Hadn't heard of it until this morning on the news. Apparently some girl got seriously injured participating in this challenge. After listening to the entire story, I immediately thought "People ARE getting stupid" I'm sorry the girl got hurt but it's her own fault.

We've discussed numerous times on this board the differences in punishment for the same acts when it comes to a child care provider doing X and a parent doing X.

Maybe it's time we stop holding providers MORE responsible because these are NOT OUR KIDS and start holding parents MORE responsible because these ARE THEIR KIDS!

In my honest opinion, that makes them (parents) have a higher level of responsibility because they the parent.
Country Kids 07:19 AM 08-01-2018
Doing some quick research, it looks like hot car deaths "started" or at least being recorded in 1994. There have been 804 since then which averages 34 a year-almost 1 a state. Ages range from very tiny to 5/6 year olds.

What has changed since 1994. Is it the placement of car seats in the back, turned around but some of the children are older not very little. Is it more moms working, parents working and stressed? Could it be are brains are "rewiring" due to technology, and our thought process/rememberance isn't the way it used to be? The clue is the year this started happening and what began or started that year of why this is happening ( I believe). What about that year can we go back and figure out and change, to save a children's lives?
Blackcat31 07:53 AM 08-01-2018
What has changed since 1994.
Parents no longer held their child responsible.
(It is always someone else's fault)
Children no longer had to the pain of losing.
(Everyone is a winner)
Parents based their "performance" on appearances (social media) verses results (responsible adults that ARE adults, not just pretending to adult for a day)

The list goes on.......

That is the same time period in which "those" children became parents themselves. Sadly though, they were never taught to be an adult so instead are raising kids as kids themselves.

(ETA: I am not speaking about ALL kids/parents of that generation.)
Cat Herder 08:01 AM 08-01-2018
What has changed since 1994.
Some could also be longer work hours with both parents working full time.

40 hours per week used to be common. Now 50+ and mandatory overtime for salaried positions is more common.

It takes two minimum wage jobs to afford an apartment and utilities these days. Starting out is virtually impossible without help anymore.

Those hours leave little time for bonding.
Country Kids 08:44 AM 08-01-2018
(Everyone is a winner)
Parents based their "performance" on appearances (social media) verses results (responsible adults that ARE adults, not just pretending to adult for a day)

The list goes on.......

That is the same time period in which "those" children became parents themselves. Sadly though, they were never taught to be an adult so instead are raising kids as kids themselves.

I'm of the generation that started becoming parents in 1994. I don't think any of the things you mentioned really started being a "problem" till 10 years ago.

We had no computer till the 1997 and rarely was on it. There was really no social media at that time and if there was it was very limited and I'm sure not well known of.

The children that were raised during the 1990's are just now becoming parents so we can't say it was social media and the trophy child. This has been happening for 25 years!

We now have several that are in the medical field that have forgotten their child, it isn't just young parents, parents of all ages are forgetting their children.

I think its long, long hours we do, trying to squeeze 3 days of work into 1, instead of keeping up with the Jones's know it is trying to keep up with the best parents that you know, trying to keep it all together when your falling apart inside, etc.

I honestly think instead of so much emphasis on birthing classes maybe there needs to be a much bigger emphasis on parenting classes on parenting while your pregnant. Covering safety, child development, finding a peditrician, childcare and the list could go on.
Josiegirl 09:20 AM 08-01-2018
I wonder if we know international statistics of hot car deaths? Are people in other countries as negligent or 'forgetful' as this? Would they have repercussions in place for something like this?

Just curious.
Cat Herder 09:25 AM 08-01-2018
I wonder if we know international statistics of hot car deaths? Are people in other countries as negligent or 'forgetful' as this? Would they have repercussions in place for something like this?

Just curious.
http://www.worldlifeexpectancy.com/w...s-total-deaths

I don't have time to go through it now, but plan to this afternoon. Maybe you can get a head start? New enrollees. Paperwork, paperwork and more paperwork, gah...
Blackcat31 09:29 AM 08-01-2018
I'm of the generation that started becoming parents in 1994. I don't think any of the things you mentioned really started being a "problem" till 10 years ago.

We had no computer till the 1997 and rarely was on it. There was really no social media at that time and if there was it was very limited and I'm sure not well known of.

The children that were raised during the 1990's are just now becoming parents so we can't say it was social media and the trophy child. This has been happening for 25 years!

We now have several that are in the medical field that have forgotten their child, it isn't just young parents, parents of all ages are forgetting their children.

I think its long, long hours we do, trying to squeeze 3 days of work into 1, instead of keeping up with the Jones's know it is trying to keep up with the best parents that you know, trying to keep it all together when your falling apart inside, etc.

I honestly think instead of so much emphasis on birthing classes maybe there needs to be a much bigger emphasis on parenting classes on parenting while your pregnant. Covering safety, child development, finding a peditrician, childcare and the list could go on.
There was "social media" long before Facebook or what we view social media as today so I disagree. The last 10 yrs only amplify the issue but I think that type of thinking DID exist prior to FB (or current social media) becoming super popular.

The issues I mentioned started LONG before just the last 10 years (read any old venting posts about parenting and how it's changed over the last few decades)

Also I'm not understanding what you mean by "We now have several that are in the medical field that have forgotten their child, it isn't just young parents, parents of all ages are forgetting their children."
Parents in the medical field aren't the same as others having children today? What does the medical field have to do with forgetting your child?

I don't think you can pin point the root of this issue to any one thing but instead a change in societal beliefs, actions and behaviors. A change that started so small that it was unnoticed or at the very least not even recognized until we see the outcome.
nannyde 09:37 AM 08-01-2018

Just curious.
I think we could only compare to countries that had the same car seat laws and weather.
Blackcat31 09:40 AM 08-01-2018

Just curious.
This is from 2014...

"There have been high-profile cases in other parts of the world too, notably in Australia and in Israel, where three deaths last summer made headlines.

The numbers in northern Europe appear to be proportionally lower than in the US, but that's hardly surprising given the cooler climate than the southern US states. Between 2007-2009, there were 26 cases of heatstroke in France and Belgium, including seven fatalities, according to Child Safety Europe. The Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents could recall no cases in the UK.

"I've seen numbers out of Europe and the total is not as high as in the US but there are not as many drivers or cars so it is very difficult to compare," says Null.

Cases in the US began to rise in the late 1990s, as children's car seats moved from the front to the back due to the dangers posed by airbags."

https://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-28214266
Josiegirl 09:42 AM 08-01-2018
Thank you for the information and the links too. Very interesting. I agree there are many variables at work and it makes it hard to compare. But I have a sad feeling the US is up there in numbers.
Blackcat31 09:47 AM 08-01-2018
Between 2007 and 2009, there were 26 such cases of hyperthermia in France and Belgium, including 7 fatalities. 54% of the parents had intentionally left the child in the car, 46% had simply forgotten to drop the child off.

In Israel between 2004 and 2008 there were four fatal cases, and in 2008 alone, 19 non-fatal cases.
Netherlands, Iceland and Hungary have all reported recent fatal cases.
In the United States an average of 36 children die from hyperthermia each year, for a total of 468 deaths over the last 12 years.

http://www.childsafetyeurope.org/pub...en-in-cars.pdf
Blackcat31 09:58 AM 08-01-2018
Companies are using various technologies in an effort to lower the number of hot car deaths that occur every year.

Waze, a navigational application available on Android and iOS, has a child reminder notification which alerts a driver to check the back seat once the vehicle reaches its destination. The alert can be customized to receive reminders for more than one child, as well as pets.
mommyneedsadayoff 11:44 AM 08-01-2018
Ok, so I am going to throw this in here, even if it has nothing to do with it. In the 90's there was a huge push for childcare reform, help for working parents and low income parents and I think the Childcare and Development Fund (CCDF) was enacted. I am not saying that low income or subsidized care means people forgot their babies. What I mean is that the normalcy and expectation that daycare would be included in a child's first five years became VERY acceptable (and subsidized by the government). It progressed the movement that once a child was expected, the parents started looking for care, or other people to watch their baby while they worked. If you were low income, you would get help with that cost, making it more accessible, and if you had money, you could pay for the finest "preschool" in the neighborhood. You could probably afford a nanny, but as Nannyde has pointed out, a nanny is in your home and the kid is still around and it cost a lot more, so I think it was the 90's when people realized they could outsource their parenting to daycare or head start. I think early headstart was in the mid 90s as well. Anyway, I am sure it happened before and was just not reported, but but I DO feel that lack of parental involvement must be in the equation. It certainly cannot be a one size fits all scenario, but I have found that many cases involve a parent not normally having the child, so they forget they are there. For example, if you only have your child on on the weekend, you become trained to having them on the weekend(waking early for pancakes on saturday), and during the week, you allow them out of your mind much more often. They don't factor into your dinner plans or if you need to run errands, you can just go and not think about their needs. (didn't divorce peak in the 90s?) Absence does not make the heart grow fonder, imo. It makes you more comfortable in your solitude. It is also important to note that the internet took hold in the 90's. Chat rooms, video games, ect. And now we have screen ADDICTION. Can you imagine an alcoholic parent giving their child a drink to calm down? But they hand over their smart phone with no issue. Maybe we are seeing the symptoms of a highly addicted screen populace. Anyone watch the movie trainspotting? They get so high out of their minds, they forget the baby in the crib and it is dead when they come back into reality. A recent survey in 2017 said Parents (with kids 8-18) spend an average of 9 hours and 22 minutes a day on a screen (tv, computer, phone). If you factor in 7 hours for sleep, that means that over two thirds of their life (if not more) is spent in a fantasy world. Facebook is fantasy, instagram is fantasy, ect. It is addicting and while I cannot put this all together exactly, I feel there is a pretty large contribution between technology and screen addiction, as well as the normalcy of having kids in daycare 10+hours a day. I mean, we are setting them up to be forgotten.
Silly Songs 12:18 PM 08-01-2018
I don’t have young children. ( my youngest is a teen), and I still check the back seat when I get out of the car. I KNOW no one is back there, but I look just in case some random child is sitting in my back seat ! 🙄
Josiegirl 03:26 PM 08-01-2018
Mommyneedsadayoff, you make some very valid points but I still have a hard time believing it is that easy to disconnect our brains from another living human being in the car. The one that keeps us awake during the night for feedings, the one we bring to the dr. for immunizations, and take for walks in strollers, we sing to them and cuddle them, we fantasize for months about what it will be like to be a parent and buy cute little baby clothes and fancy equipment. How can we so easily forget they're in the backseat? I will never ever understand it. Never.

Weren't they working on some kind of invention to use in a child safety seat that worked by feeling the weight of a child, or something? I thought they've been working on solving this problem for awhile now? You'd think with a country filled with smart inventive minds, something would be available for everyone.
amberrose3dg 03:33 AM 08-02-2018
Mommyneedsadayoff, you make some very valid points but I still have a hard time believing it is that easy to disconnect our brains from another living human being in the car. The one that keeps us awake during the night for feedings, the one we bring to the dr. for immunizations, and take for walks in strollers, we sing to them and cuddle them, we fantasize for months about what it will be like to be a parent and buy cute little baby clothes and fancy equipment. How can we so easily forget they're in the backseat? I will never ever understand it. Never.

Weren't they working on some kind of invention to use in a child safety seat that worked by feeling the weight of a child, or something? I thought they've been working on solving this problem for awhile now? You'd think with a country filled with smart inventive minds, something would be available for everyone.
I cannot believe this ie where we are. Needing a device to remind parents their children are there.
Cat Herder 10:24 AM 08-06-2018
30, now.

30 8/2/2018 El Reno. OK 90° Ryker Daniel Kolar 3 yr
Blackcat31 11:57 AM 08-06-2018
30, now.

30 8/2/2018 El Reno. OK 90° Ryker Daniel Kolar 3 yr
The Dad was arrested

http://www.news9.com/story/38809778/...-hot-car-death

https://kfor.com/2018/08/03/oklahoma...g-left-in-car/
Cat Herder 12:35 PM 08-06-2018
I am glad they are implementing the same policy I have been using for a decade. It does help. The mother is still under investigation.

"Baby's hot car death is reason behind policy change at day care, owner says

That facility is now implementing a new policy.

It requires children be dropped off by 9 a.m. each morning.

If the day care is not notified about the child being absent, an automated text will be sent to the family.

“It's keeping us accountable as a day care. It's also keeping families accountable. Where is your child at right now? Where is your child at? Making sure that the kiddos are being taken care whether it's at home or whether it's here in our care, but we want to be a facility and make sure that the kiddos, when they're here, they are being taken care of,” co-owner Paula Montalvo said." - https://www.wlky.com/article/babys-h...-says/22640492

http://www.wave3.com/story/38810120/...lbany-day-care
Cat Herder 12:56 PM 08-14-2018
33, now.

33 8/11/2018 Cape Girardeau, MO 91° Girl 10 wks
32 8/10/2018 Emporia, VA 90° Dameer Curry 6 mo
31 8/8/2018 Goochland County, VA 93° Riaan Gondesi 17 mo
Cat Herder 01:01 PM 08-14-2018
"The call came in just after 12:30 p.m. from the child's mother. The mother was contacted by her son's daycare after he was not dropped off. The mother called the boy's father who had left him in the car seat.

The dad arrived at work around 9:30 a.m. and apparently forgot to drop him off at daycare.

Goochland County Sheriff James Agnew said the father was cooperative and said he had simply forgotten to drop the child off at daycare.

Both the child's father and mother called 911 at nearly the same time to report the child in distress.

"The mom had been contacted about 10 minutes earlier by the daycare wondering where her son was and if she intended to drop him off," Agnew said." - http://www.nbc12.com/story/38843268/...eft-in-hot-car
Cat Herder 01:05 PM 08-14-2018
"said she was taking her children to stay with various family members Friday before work when she got a call that led to tragedy.

"My youngest daughter's father calls and he said his mother wasn't going to be able to watch [one of her daughters]. That's what I believe threw me off," the mother of four said.

Curry said she arranged for one relative to watch her three oldest children.

After she dropped them off, she said she drove to her job at Domino's Pizza on Market Drive in Emporia -- forgetting to drop off her baby at another relative's home.

"My friend called me on the way to work and asked me about my oldest daughter, checking on her, and I just forgot all about dropping the baby off," Curry admitted.

Police believe baby Dameer was left in his mother's car about five hours, between 4 p.m. and 9 p.m. Friday." - https://wtkr.com/2018/08/13/emporia-...hot-car-death/
Cat Herder 07:40 AM 08-21-2018
35, now.

35 8/17/2018 Spring Hill, FL 94° Keyton O'Callaghan 9 mo
34 8/11/2018 Cape Girardeau, MO 91° Girl 10 wks
33 8/10/2018 Emporia, VA 90° Dameer Curry 6 mo
32 8/8/2018 Goochland County, VA 93° Riaan Gondesi 17 mo
31 8/2/2018 El Reno. OK 90° Ryker Daniel Kolar 3 yr
30 7/23/2018 New Albany, IN 90° Aiden Miller 3 mo
29 7/19/2018 Houston, TX 93° Raymond Pryer 3 yr
28 7/19/2018 West Haven, CT 79° Dusan Jenkins 4 yr
27 7/14/2018 Medina, OH 93° Girl 6 mo
26 7/13/2018 Pembroke Pines, FL 93° Eli Douglas Bird 17 mo
25 7/9/2018 Sweetwater, TN 87° Greg Puckett 3 yr
24 7/7/2018 South Sacramento, CA 95° Alejandro Lopez Jr. 2 yr
23 7/4/2018 Moniteau County, MO 95° Girl 5 yr
22 6/29/2018 Frankfort, KY 91° Calvin Hedges 3 yr
21 6/26/2018 Glendive, MT 81° Caleb Hopkins 2 yr
20 6/21/2018 Roseburg, OR 81° Remington Engler 21 mo
19 6/20/2018 Willits, CA 80° Chergery Teywoh Lew Mays 18 mo
18 6/19/2018 Kingsland, GA 92° Slade Edison Horne 7 mo
17 6/15/2018 Spartanburg, SC 91° King Trammel 18 mo
16 6/14/2018 Vancleave, MS 89° Kash Barhonovich 10 mo
15 6/9/2018 Crittenden, KY 95° Lillian Danielle Kerr 2 yr
14 6/8/2018 Raleigh, NC 87° Hakeem Mussa 7 mo
13 6/4/2018 Baytown, TX 91° Maria Solorio 9 mo
12 6/3/2018 Anderson, IN 90° Hannah Grace Miller 3 yr
11 5/31/2018 Pelzer, SC 85° Joe Avery James Lockaby 18 mo
10 5/23/2018 East Nashville, TN 90° Katera Barker 1 yr
9 5/18/2018 Andalusia, AL 91° Laila Marie Dees 4 yr
8 5/16/2018 Eagle Pass, TX 99° Girl 7 mo
7 5/15/2018 Shreveport, LA 91° Addyson Blackburn 6 mo
6 5/10/2018 Chesterfield, VA 83° Girl 5 mo
5 5/10/2018 Chesterfield, VA 83° Boy 5 mo
Mike 09:00 AM 08-21-2018
35, now.

It'll never stop
happymom 01:53 PM 08-21-2018
https://abcnews.go.com/US/pure-hell-...ry?id=57307801

Another sad story. But wow!
amberrose3dg 03:47 AM 08-22-2018
Originally Posted by happymom:
https://abcnews.go.com/US/pure-hell-...ry?id=57307801

Another sad story. But wow!
That is really sad but glad to hear the kids made it.
Country Kids 08:12 AM 08-22-2018
The baby who was left in a car at INTEL in Portland Oregon and I believe the father was initially charged with the death, it has been determined the baby did not die from extreme heat.

The medically examiner said the baby died within the first hour of being in the car and has ruled the case as SIDS.

The baby had also gone in for a six month appt. that morning so it has to make you wonder if the baby had a reaction to shots possibly? I think the medical examiner said no but it still makes you wonder.
Cat Herder 06:53 AM 08-28-2018
36, now.

36 8/23/2018 Huntsville, AL 86° Girl 2 yr

A 2-year-old girl died in a hot car today in Huntsville, police said.

The child's parent pulled over at Fleetwood Homes business on South Memorial Parkway just north of Airport Road after realizing she was in the car, authorities said.
Blackcat31 07:27 AM 08-28-2018
I've been "watching" the language of these articles as they occur.

BOTH words above are very common when used in articles where parents or grandparents are the ones that left the child.

The words below appear most often in cases where anyone but the parent or grandparent left the child;

Cat Herder 07:32 AM 08-28-2018
I've been "watching" the language of these articles as they occur.
  • "Tragic accident"
  • "Accidental death"

BOTH words above are very common when used in articles where parents or grandparents are the ones that left the child.

The words below appear most often in cases where anyone but the parent or grandparent left the child;
  • "Reckless homicide"
  • "Aggravated manslaughter"
  • "Culpable negligence"
As always.

Full accountability rarely seems to extend to parents.
Mike 12:10 PM 08-28-2018
As always.

Full accountability rarely seems to extend to parents.
That's because parents have an excuse, all the hard work and pressure of being a parent. They have more allowance for mistakes.
happymom 02:38 PM 08-28-2018
Because of this tread, I now use the WAZE app every day to take me to work. I put it in my calendar so it automatically knows every day where I need to be at 8:30 and it asks me if that's where I am going when I get in the car and automatically pulls up directions for me.

When I arrive at my work it verbally reminds me to "check car seats"

It seems so silly sometimes, but today I forgot my son's backpack and lunch at home and didn't realize until we were in the school drop off line. Sometimes I am such a scatterhead.
Cat Herder 03:42 PM 08-28-2018
Because of this tread, I now use the WAZE app every day to take me to work. I put it in my calendar so it automatically knows every day where I need to be at 8:30 and it asks me if that's where I am going when I get in the car and automatically pulls up directions for me.

When I arrive at my work it verbally reminds me to "check car seats"

It seems so silly sometimes, but today I forgot my son's backpack and lunch at home and didn't realize until we were in the school drop off line. Sometimes I am such a scatterhead.
That's awesome
Aussiedaycare 03:54 PM 08-28-2018
After reading this thread I decided to do some googling for Australia
https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/pa...d6f300199856b8

https://www.kidsafevic.com.au/road-safety/hot-cars

Hopefully these links work. These were the only two that I could find in a quick 5 minute look - it kept wanting to direct me to road deaths rather than hot car deaths.

We are smaller than America so the numbers wouldn't be a realistic contrast but it is certainly an interesting point that we don't have the same level of numbers.
Cat Herder 05:23 AM 08-29-2018
Originally Posted by Aussiedaycare:
After reading this thread I decided to do some googling for Australia
These were the only two that I could find in a quick 5 minute look - it kept wanting to direct me to road deaths rather than hot car deaths.

We are smaller than America so the numbers wouldn't be a realistic contrast but it is certainly an interesting point that we don't have the same level of numbers.
Very interesting. It seems people are more likely to notice and get involved there, saving lives. "Between 1st September 2016 and 31st August 2017, Ambulance Victoria responded to 1,696 callouts for people locked in cars across Victoria, with the vast majority being cases involving toddlers and babies."

I did notice one commonality, though.

“We didn’t sleep through the night. It was a rough night and I went to drop off my kid at school,” the child’s father, Richard Ligault, said.

“He fell asleep in the car and I thought he was at school and I went straight to work. I was very confused.”

Glad he survived and is back home with his family.
Cat Herder 05:27 AM 08-29-2018
37, now.

37 8/28/2018 Coram, NY 91° Girl 11 y

“The mother and two other kids were running errands doing day-to-day things," he said. "They went into the house and at some point in time realized that the 11-year-old was still in the car.” Police did not release the girl's name."

Asked whether the girl had any disabilities, Beyrer replied, ”We’re speaking to the family right now about the child’s condition. I don’t have a definitive answer on that.” - https://www.newsday.com/long-island/...ead-1.20707220
Blackcat31 06:17 AM 08-29-2018
Originally Posted by Aussiedaycare:

I find that type of info fascinating on many levels.
Why is it so regional? What are the commonalities and the oddities that separate the differences....

37, now.

37 8/28/2018 Coram, NY 91° Girl 11 y

Asked whether the girl had any disabilities, Beyrer replied, ”We’re speaking to the family right now about the child’s condition. I don’t have a definitive answer on that.” - https://www.newsday.com/long-island/...ead-1.20707220
I heard on the news this morning that she was special needs. To what extent I don't know but I did hear that she was.
happymom 09:01 AM 08-29-2018
So tragic!

I can't imagine how this happens to an 11 year old unless there are special needs =(
amberrose3dg 09:17 AM 08-29-2018
So tragic!

I can't imagine how this happens to an 11 year old unless there are special needs =(
Yeah I'd like to know how she was forgotten especially if she has special needs. Wouldn't the mom be used to getting her in and out of the car? She had been running errands and had just helped her in and out of the car earlier?
Something does not add up.
happymom 09:29 AM 08-29-2018
https://nypost.com/2018/08/28/11-yea...-hot-car-cops/

“Sweetheart, absolute angel. Just the sweetest little baby girl,” neighbor Carmela Parlato said of the young victim.

Another neighbor, Dona Heester, said she can’t fathom how the little girl could have been left alone by parents who are the “nicest people you would ever want to know.”

“She was a very attentive mother. She was on her children like a hawk – you wouldn’t find a better set of parents,” Heester said.

“I’ve known them for 20 years and she never left her children alone. And if she couldn’t make it home and the bus came she’d call me up and ask me ‘Could the kids come over here?’ Sure.”

Heester added: “Her house is armed with cameras, she knows everything that goes on for her family, inside and outside.”
MarinaVanessa 09:37 AM 08-29-2018
I just screamed at my 13 year old last weekend because of something like this. We were at a birthday party at a park and she was tired and wanted to lay down in my van, I let her do it and told her to roll down the windows and she didn't. Half an hour later and I went to check on her and the windows were rolled up, she was hot and sweaty. I belted in on her and had her get out.

She was fine thank goodness but she's tanned skin and she looked RED. I thought I had possibly overreacted but now looking at how an 11 year old died I know I didn't
Cat Herder 04:51 AM 08-30-2018
38, now.

38 8/28/2018 Coram, NY 91° Girl 11 yr
37 8/26/2018 Rock Hill, SC 90° Lamartray Adams Jr. 2 yr

"Lamartray Adams Jr. was found by his father and neighbors at the Glens Apartments in the car Sunday afternoon around 4:40 p.m. The boy had walked out of the apartment, climbed into the family car, then locked himself inside, said Lt. Michael Chavis of the Rock Hill Police Department."

“a terrible accident,”

“no charges will be filed at this time pending the results of toxicology.”
Cat Herder 12:43 PM 09-04-2018
40, now.

# Date City Temp Name Age
40 8/28/2018 Coram, NY 91° Adrianna C. Celenza 11 yr
39 8/26/2018 Rock Hill, SC 90° Lamartray Adams Jr. 2 yr
38 8/23/2018 Huntsville, AL 86° Lexi 2 yr
37 8/17/2018 Spring Hill, FL 94° Keyton O'Callaghan 9 mo
36 8/12/2018 Goshen, KY 89° Nishchay Patel 3 yr
35 8/11/2018 Cape Girardeau, MO 91° Girl 10 wks
34 8/10/2018 Emporia, VA 90° Dameer Curry 6 mo
33 8/8/2018 Goochland County, VA 93° Riaan Gondesi 17 mo
32 8/2/2018 El Reno. OK 90° Ryker Daniel Kolar 3 yr
31 7/23/2018 New Albany, IN 90° Aiden Miller 3 mo
30 7/19/2018 Houston, TX 93° Raymond Pryer 3 yr
29 7/19/2018 West Haven, CT 79° Dusan Jenkins 4 yr
28 7/14/2018 Medina, OH 93° Girl 6 mo
27 7/13/2018 Pembroke Pines, FL 93° Eli Douglas Bird 17 mo
26 7/9/2018 Sweetwater, TN 87° Greg Puckett 3 yr
25 7/7/2018 South Sacramento, CA 95° Alejandro Lopez Jr. 2 yr
24 7/4/2018 Moniteau County, MO 95° Girl 5 yr
23 6/29/2018 Frankfort, KY 91° Calvin Hedges 3 yr
22 6/26/2018 Glendive, MT 81° Caleb Hopkins 2 yr
21 6/21/2018 Roseburg, OR 81° Remington Engler 21 mo
20 6/20/2018 Willits, CA 80° Chergery Teywoh Lew Mays 18 mo
19 6/19/2018 Kingsland, GA 92° Slade Edison Horne 7 mo
18 6/15/2018 Spartanburg, SC 91° King Trammel 18 mo
17 6/14/2018 Vancleave, MS 89° Kash Barhonovich 10 mo
16 6/9/2018 Crittenden, KY 95° Lillian Danielle Kerr 2 yr
15 6/8/2018 Raleigh, NC 87° Hakeem Mussa 7 mo
14 6/4/2018 Baytown, TX 91° Maria Solorio 9 mo
13 6/3/2018 Anderson, IN 90° Hannah Grace Miller 3 yr
12 5/31/2018 Pelzer, SC 85° Joe Avery James Lockaby 18 mo
11 5/23/2018 East Nashville, TN 90° Katera Barker 1 yr
10 5/18/2018 Andalusia, AL 91° Laila Marie Dees 4 yr
9 5/16/2018 Eagle Pass, TX 99° Girl 7 mo
8 5/15/2018 Shreveport, LA 91° Addyson Blackburn 6 mo
7 5/10/2018 Chesterfield, VA 83° Girl 5 mo
6 5/10/2018 Chesterfield, VA 83° Boy 5 mo
5 5/3/2018 Waterford, CT 87° Boy 5 yr
Mike 03:16 PM 09-04-2018
Tell all the adults out there that there has been enough for this year. Too bad it couldn't be that easy to stop.
Cat Herder 03:36 PM 09-04-2018
Tell all the adults out there that there has been enough for this year. Too bad it couldn't be that easy to stop.
I agree. That is why I keep updating to keep it current here. It is the biggest childcare forum and information site on the web. Lots of eyes, here.
Aussiedaycare 03:59 AM 09-05-2018
This article from 2016 has some interesting points in it.
https://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...23c4306fa7f3bc

This one from 2017
https://www.sunshinecoastdaily.com.a...-is-s/3279704/

This article from 2015 says parents can face a fine of $36,000 for leaving their children in a car (first I've heard of it )
https://www.smh.com.au/opinion/karal...13-glmdo4.html

2015 -
https://www.smh.com.au/opinion/karal...13-glmdo4.html

Also 2015 -
https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...f3115ae7df9998

Australia's Laws about leaving children in the car -
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-11-1...r-fuel/9144304

https://www.carsguide.com.au/family/...car-ever-58102
Aussiedaycare 04:06 AM 09-05-2018
Two different parents were charged for leaving their children intentionally in the car

https://honey.nine.com.au/2017/09/25...ild-in-hot-car
Cat Herder 07:57 AM 09-06-2018
42, now.

42 9/5/2018 Daleville, IN 93° Boy 2 yr
41 9/4/2018 Zanesville, OH 93° Boy 1 mo

"The child, later identified as Jaxon Stults, died before arriving at IU Health Ball Memorial Hospital in Muncie. A deputy coroner was called to the hospital. His death is believe to be heat related.

Police later arrested the child's mother, 28-year-old Britni Wihebrink.

Wihebrink faces a charge of neglect of a dependent and is being held in the Delaware County Jail on a $50,000 bond. - https://www.wishtv.com/news/local-ne...lle/1421474095 "

"The Muskingum County Sheriff’s Office is investigating the death of a one month old baby boy. Sheriff Matt Lutz says Tuesday night just before 6:30 his office received a call about a baby not breathing. Lutz says deputies and an ambulance responded to 80 Eagleview Drive Apartment F. The Sheriff says deputies found an unresponsive baby and cardio pulmonary resuscitation was started, but the baby was pronounced dead at the scene. Sheriff Lutz says this is an ongoing investigation, but it appears the baby was left in a vehicle outside of the home and died as a result of the high temperature. An autopsy has been ordered in the case. - https://www.whiznews.com/2018/09/she...-heat-related/ "

Attached: 2018-cases (600 x 424).jpg (39.9 KB) 
Cat Herder 09:09 AM 09-07-2018
44, now.

44 9/6/2018 Athens, TX 93° Girl 6 mo
43 9/6/2018 Florence, SC 96° Unknown 7 mo

"A 6-month-old East Texas girl has died after being left in a hot car and officers arrested her father on a charge of criminal negligent homicide.

The Henderson County Sheriff's Office says 25-year-old Jackson Tetrick of Brownsboro said he forgot to leave his daughter with a baby sitter Thursday. Tetrick was being held Friday on $100,000 bond, with no attorney immediately listed to represent him.

Authorities say Tetrick said he took his wife to work Thursday morning, dropped another child at school, then went home before driving to work in Athens. He returned Thursday afternoon to school to retrieve the older child, then remembered the baby was still in her car seat. Temperatures were in the 90s. - https://www.chron.com/news/texas/art...r-13212444.php

The Florence County Sheriff's Office and the Florence County Coroner's Office are continuing to investigate the death of a 7-month-old child that happened Thursday afternoon.

According to a press release from Florence County Coroner Keith von Lutcken, the initial 911 call was received at 5:38 p.m. and first responders went to a home on Via Ponticello Road in Florence.

The infant, identified as Dean Emerson Coward, was taken to a local hospital and pronounced dead, the release stated.

According to the coroner, the investigation is in its early stages, but it is being investigated as a "potential heat-related incident" from the child being left in a vehicle. " - http://www.wmbfnews.com/story/390431...eft-in-hot-car
Josiegirl 02:36 AM 09-08-2018
Please, God, make it stop.

There is no reason. None. No excuse. None. Put your child first. Rewire your brain. Or something. This dear sweet innocent child you have has no reason for being except for both parents, make it count. PLEASE. Nothing on earth is as important as that little breath of life in that car seat. Not your schedule. Your effin cell phone. Your work. If you're exhausted find someone to care for that child while you sleep. Stop working until you get your act together. Call each other to make sure your child, who depends upon you 100%, has been taken proper care of. And yes, even though it should NOT be our responsibility as providers or educators, if your day care child does not show up, follow up on them!!! It might be just enough to stop this terrible tragedy from happening. Even just once. So what if it takes you a minute?? One lousy minute is not enough to upset your whole day or routine. PLEASE change something within your life, to make your child/ren #1. Because it CAN happen to you. God forbid, it can happen to you. Don't let your own living breathing child become another hot car statistic. There will be no take backs. Don't be selfish. Don't be in denial. Plan, be proactive, concentrate and think.
Josiegirl 02:42 AM 09-08-2018
It makes you wonder how many of these could be planned. Have you ever thought about that?? It makes me cringe. But it'd certainly be a tough thing to prove if it's an accident or not. It makes me think there should be criminal charges of some kind. Jail maybe not. If it's truly an accident jail wouldn't take away the prison term they've already created for themselves. Community service for years, yes. To teach others to be aware, that it can happen to them. It needs to cost them, whether valuable time or money to invest in programs to make people aware or create more devices for car seats/cars that would become mandatory.
Mike 07:07 AM 09-08-2018
Please, God, make it stop.

There is no reason. None. No excuse. None. Put your child first. Rewire your brain. Or something. This dear sweet innocent child you have has no reason for being except for both parents, make it count. PLEASE. Nothing on earth is as important as that little breath of life in that car seat. Not your schedule. Your effin cell phone. Your work. If you're exhausted find someone to care for that child while you sleep. Stop working until you get your act together. Call each other to make sure your child, who depends upon you 100%, has been taken proper care of. And yes, even though it should NOT be our responsibility as providers or educators, if your day care child does not show up, follow up on them!!! It might be just enough to stop this terrible tragedy from happening. Even just once. So what if it takes you a minute?? One lousy minute is not enough to upset your whole day or routine. PLEASE change something within your life, to make your child/ren #1. Because it CAN happen to you. God forbid, it can happen to you. Don't let your own living breathing child become another hot car statistic. There will be no take backs. Don't be selfish. Don't be in denial. Plan, be proactive, concentrate and think.
I totally agree with you on this.

It makes you wonder how many of these could be planned. Have you ever thought about that?? It makes me cringe. But it'd certainly be a tough thing to prove if it's an accident or not. It makes me think there should be criminal charges of some kind. Jail maybe not. If it's truly an accident jail wouldn't take away the prison term they've already created for themselves. Community service for years, yes. To teach others to be aware, that it can happen to them. It needs to cost them, whether valuable time or money to invest in programs to make people aware or create more devices for car seats/cars that would become mandatory.
We need more awareness, and who better to help with that. And I'm sure some of them are intentional. Parents have murdered children before. They start reading about hot car deaths, almost never with charges, and hey, that's what I can do.

Accident or not, something should be done. Think about it this way. 2 people get in a fight. It goes out of control and one gets killed. The other person gets charged with manslaughter. It wasn't intentional. It was an accident. Most of the child deaths were also an accident. Why no manslaughter charges there?
Cat Herder 08:34 AM 09-10-2018
45, Now.

45 9/8/2018 Dillon, SC 91° Unk 3 yr

"DILLON COUNTY, SC (WMBF) — A child died Saturday after being left in a hot car in Dillon.

According to county coroner Donnie Grimsley, the 3-year-old was rushed to the hospital Saturday but did not survive. The an autopsy is expected to be performed Monday.

The City of Dillon Police continue to investigate the incident." - http://www.wmbfnews.com/story/390558...eft-in-hot-car
Cat Herder 03:10 PM 09-10-2018
Accident or not, something should be done. Think about it this way. 2 people get in a fight. It goes out of control and one gets killed. The other person gets charged with manslaughter. It wasn't intentional. It was an accident. Most of the child deaths were also an accident. Why no manslaughter charges there?
- 21 states have Unattended Child in Vehicle Laws that have specific language addressing leaving a child unattended in a vehicle. (Complete List)
However, many of these laws have significant exceptions and qualifiers in their language:
- Two states' (Alabama and Wisconsin) laws only apply to paid child care providers.
- Two states' (Kentucky and Missouri) laws only apply if a child is injured or dies.
- Four states allow a period of time a child may be left unattended before it becomes a crime. Florida allows 15-minutes, Illinois allows 10-minutes and both Hawaii and Texas 5-minutes each.
- Washington's law only applies to a running vehicle or one parked outside a tavern or similar establishment.
- Rhode Island's law only allows for a verbal warning and no record can be kept!

- The remaining 29 states do not have laws specifically against leaving a child unattended in a vehicle, but injuries and deaths can be prosecuted under child endangerment, manslaughter and homicide statutes.

- A total of 29 states have laws about leaving animals unattended in vehicles. Summary.

- There are 16 states with "Good Samaritan Laws" with specific language that protects persons who see a child in a car and take action to render assistance. - http://noheatstroke.org/legal.htm
Cat Herder 11:51 AM 09-14-2018
46, now.

46 9/11/2018 Moraga, CA 81° Lily Aracic 19 mo

"KRON4 News has confirmed that a 19-month-old child has been found dead inside of a vehicle in Moraga.

The child has been identified as Lily Aracic, of Oakland. She is the child of a teacher at Miramonte High School in Moraga.

Police tell KRON4 News that the child was inadvertently left inside of a vehicle for an extended amount of time on Tuesday.

The child was discovered by a family member just before 4 p.m., it was about 80 degrees at the time of the incident." - https://www.kron4.com/news/bay-area/...aga/1437625550
hwichlaz 04:45 PM 09-14-2018
Originally Posted by amberrose3dg:
I cannot believe this ie where we are. Needing a device to remind parents their children are there.
People used to say the same about baby monitors....
Blackcat31 06:23 PM 09-14-2018
- 21 states have Unattended Child in Vehicle Laws that have specific language addressing leaving a child unattended in a vehicle. (Complete List)
However, many of these laws have significant exceptions and qualifiers in their language:
- Two states' (Alabama and Wisconsin) laws only apply to paid child care providers.
- Two states' (Kentucky and Missouri) laws only apply if a child is injured or dies.
- Four states allow a period of time a child may be left unattended before it becomes a crime. Florida allows 15-minutes, Illinois allows 10-minutes and both Hawaii and Texas 5-minutes each.
- Washington's law only applies to a running vehicle or one parked outside a tavern or similar establishment.
- Rhode Island's law only allows for a verbal warning and no record can be kept!

- The remaining 29 states do not have laws specifically against leaving a child unattended in a vehicle, but injuries and deaths can be prosecuted under child endangerment, manslaughter and homicide statutes.

- A total of 29 states have laws about leaving animals unattended in vehicles. Summary.

- There are 16 states with "Good Samaritan Laws" with specific language that protects persons who see a child in a car and take action to render assistance. - http://noheatstroke.org/legal.htm
The states that have laws or guidelines in some form have the least occurrences overall....

The connection between “rules/consequences” and societal behavior is so obvious yet so disregarded....
Cat Herder 11:36 AM 10-09-2018
48, now.

48 9/28/2018 Sanford, FL 95° Kit Noelle Pollard 1 yr
47 9/28/2018 Oak Ridge, FL 93° Logan Starling 4 yr

1. "According to an arrest report, Pollard forgot to take her daughter to daycare Friday morning and left her in the vehicle for seven hours as temperatures climbed above 90 degrees.

A Florida woman has been charged with negligent manslaughter in the death of her 1-year-old daughter, who was left in a hot car all day. The mother drove to Olive Garden to pick up dinner and then stopped for gas when she realized her daughter was in the rear-facing car seat in the back, according to the arrest report. https://abc13.com/mother-charged-aft...t-car/4382102/ "

2. "Elite Preparatory Academy Principal Hong Steele said Logan Starling's stepmother quit her job at the school after receiving multiple death threats made by phone, by email and on social media.

She said threats have also been made against the school since the pre-K student's death Friday.

"We still are heartbroken," Steele said. "It feels like we're all in a dream."

>> On WFTV.com: Deputies: Boy, 4, dies after being found in SUV parked outside school

She said many of her staff members have sought counseling.

"He had unconditional love," Steele said. "It's hard for us to talk about this, because he was everything to us. This is a horrific accident, and we can't make sense of it."

She said Logan's teacher didn't question marking him absent Friday, because he had been out sick Thursday.

When Logan's teacher saw his stepmother at dismissal, she mentioned that she had missed having him in class.

Logan's stepmother panicked, ran to her SUV and collapsed, Steele said.

Teachers called 911 and the school's director grabbed Logan's body and ran him to a fire station across the street.

The Florida Department of Children and Families said it is still investigating how the boy was left in the vehicle in which he rode to school with two adults and five siblings.

The agency said it has a history with the family, but it wouldn't elaborate." - https://www.easy1029.com/news/nation...ZxgDgnVIzGzHP/
happymom 12:30 PM 10-09-2018
that second story

I can feel the emotions of the mom and the staff through that article and just can't handle it.
Cat Herder 07:29 AM 12-17-2018
A Texas judge has sentenced a mom to 40 years in prison for the hot car deaths of her two toddler daughters.

Amanda Hawkins, 20, was sentenced Wednesday, about three months after she pleaded guilty to child abandonment and endangerment charges in the June 2017 deaths of her daughters, Brynn Hawkins, 1, and Addyson Overgard-Eddy, 2, in Kerrville.

Authorities said Hawkins left the girls in the car outside a Kerrville home overnight as she socialized and smoked marijuana with friends June 6 to 7, 2017,

Prosecutors said the girls had been in the car about 15 hours when Hawkins retrieved them, bathing them and Googling heat stroke treatments before taking them to a hospital, the Daily Times reported.

Hawkins initially told hospital workers that the girls had collapsed while smelling flowers, but her story "wasn't quite adding up," physician Daniel Gebhard said.

Doctors pronounced the girls dead June 8. - https://www.wsbtv.com/news/trending-...nvv3Ewc2Uj9PQQ
happymom 08:53 AM 12-17-2018
Unfathomable.
How could someone do that to their precious daughters?
Josiegirl 10:17 AM 12-17-2018
That's such a sad story. Why oh why???? Left her 2 dds in the car overnight while she partied with friends. Hope she had a really good time because the next 40 years will be hell for her. I just cannot understand how and why in these situations.
Blackcat31 11:35 AM 04-17-2019
https://www.fox10tv.com/news/my-hear...6991a6d11.html

PERDIDO KEY, Fla. (WALA) - The father of a 2-year-old girl who police say died after her mother left her in a van for several hours spoke of his devastation Friday, as he works to understand his daughter's tragic death.

Joy Monell-Merritt died Wednesday afternoon after police say her mother, Jessica Monell, left her inside a van for several hours while Monell was inside her Perdido Key apartment sleeping. Joy, investigators say, was in the scorching hot van for several hours.

"My heart is broken," Joy's father, Donald Merritt said. "Something I'm really having a hard time trying to compute, it doesn't make any sense."

Merritt says he shared a special bond with his daughter - a bond built on friendship and love.

"I don't think anyone has ever taught me that much about life in such a short time; about what love is," Merritt said. "She had a huge heart."

Monell remains behind bars, charged with aggravated manslaughter, child neglect, and three counts of drug possession. Merritt, despite his disbelief with the circumstances surrounding his daughter's death, knows the tragedy was a horrible accident.

Merritt says Joy's family intends on having a private service to remember her life.
Mike 12:11 PM 04-17-2019
Here we go again. Now that summer is returning, there will probably be another 20 or 30 children dying slow horrible deaths.
Cat Herder 09:26 AM 04-23-2019
I just started the 2019 thread.

The total number of children lost in 2018 was 52. One of the highest numbers recorded.

# Date City Temp Name Age
52 9/28/2018 Sanford, FL 95° Kit Noelle Pollard 1 yr
51 9/28/2018 Oak Ridge, FL 93° Logan Starling 4 yr
50 9/16/2018 Humble, TX 90° Alicia Esquivel 2 yr
49 9/11/2018 Moraga, CA 81° Lily Aracic 19 mo
48 9/8/2018 Dillon, SC 91° Jonah Ayden Matthews 3 yr
47 9/6/2018 Athens, TX 93° Girl 6 mo
46 9/6/2018 Florence, SC 96° Dean Emerson Coward 7 mo
45 9/5/2018 Daleville, IN 93° Jaxon Stults 2 yr
44 9/4/2018 Zanesville, OH 93° Boy 1 mo
43 8/28/2018 Coram, NY 91° Adrianna C. Celenza 11 yr
42 8/26/2018 Rock Hill, SC 90° Lamartray Adams Jr. 2 yr
41 8/23/2018 Huntsville, AL 86° Lexi 2 yr
40 8/17/2018 Spring Hill, FL 94° Keyton O'Callaghan 9 mo
39 8/12/2018 Goshen, KY 89° Nishchay Patel 3 yr
38 8/11/2018 Cape Girardeau, MO 91° Girl 10 wks
37 8/10/2018 Emporia, VA 90° Dameer Curry 6 mo
36 8/8/2018 Goochland County, VA 93° Riaan Gondesi 17 mo
35 8/2/2018 El Reno. OK 90° Ryker Daniel Kolar 3 yr
34 7/23/2018 New Albany, IN 90° Aiden Miller 3 mo
33 7/19/2018 Houston, TX 93° Raymond Pryer 3 yr
32 7/19/2018 West Haven, CT 79° Dusan Jenkins 4 yr
31 7/14/2018 Medina, OH 93° Girl 6 mo
30 7/13/2018 Pembroke Pines, FL 93° Eli Douglas Bird 17 mo
29 7/9/2018 Sweetwater, TN 87° Greg Puckett 3 yr
28 7/7/2018 South Sacramento, CA 95° Alejandro Lopez Jr. 2 yr
27 7/4/2018 Clay County, MO 94° Ireland Ribano 2 yr
26 7/4/2018 Clay County, MO 94° Goodnight Ribano 7 wks
25 7/4/2018 Moniteau County, MO 95° Girl 5 yr
24 6/29/2018 Frankfort, KY 91° Calvin Hedges 3 yr
23 6/26/2018 Glendive, MT 81° Caleb Hopkins 2 yr
22 6/21/2018 Roseburg, OR 81° Remington Engler 21 mo
21 6/21/2018 Harrah, OK 91° Maddox Ryan Durbin 5 yr
20 6/20/2018 Willits, CA 80° Chergery Teywoh Lew Mays 18 mo
19 6/19/2018 Kingsland, GA 92° Slade Edison Horne 7 mo
18 6/15/2018 Spartanburg, SC 91° King Trammel 18 mo
17 6/14/2018 Vancleave, MS 89° Kash Barhonovich 10 mo
16 6/9/2018 Crittenden, KY 95° Lillian Danielle Kerr 2 yr
15 6/8/2018 Raleigh, NC 87° Hakeem Mussa 7 mo
14 6/4/2018 Baytown, TX 91° Maria Solorio 9 mo
13 6/3/2018 Anderson, IN 90° Hannah Grace Miller 3 yr
12 5/31/2018 Pelzer, SC 85° Joe Avery James Lockaby 18 mo
11 5/23/2018 East Nashville, TN 90° Katera Barker 1 yr
10 5/18/2018 Andalusia, AL 91° Laila Marie Dees 4 yr
9 5/16/2018 Eagle Pass, TX 99° Girl 7 mo
8 5/15/2018 Shreveport, LA 91° Addyson Blackburn 6 mo
7 5/10/2018 Chesterfield, VA 83° Girl 5 mo
6 5/10/2018 Chesterfield, VA 83° Boy 5 mo
5 5/3/2018 Waterford, CT 87° Christopher Kenneth Bosselman 5 yr
Blackcat31 02:19 PM 07-31-2020
42, now.

42 9/5/2018 Daleville, IN 93° Boy 2 yr

[i]"The child, later identified as Jaxon Stults, died before arriving at IU Health Ball Memorial Hospital in Muncie. A deputy coroner was called to the hospital. His death is believe to be heat related.

Police later arrested the child's mother, 28-year-old Britni Wihebrink.

Wihebrink faces a charge of neglect of a dependent and is being held in the Delaware County Jail on a $50,000 bond. - https://www.wishtv.com/news/local-ne...lle/1421474095 "
She was sentenced to 30 years

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime...?ocid=msedgdhp
Cat Herder 08:02 PM 07-31-2020

Wow. I really did not see that coming.
Ariana 11:04 PM 08-02-2020

Unregistered 08:37 PM 08-04-2020
(Everyone is a winner)

The list goes on.......

This!!!! What has happened, is that Society has changed to a more me-centric lifestyle. Everybody is entitled, not responsible for anything, punishments are considered inhumane and so people get a slap on the wrist when they do some seriously stupid crap, excuses are widely accepted and sometimes even encouraged inadvertently because everyone feels that they have to have some sort of sympathy , instead of holding people accountable for what they do, and life is not valued. Things are valued, appearances are valued, statuses are valued. Very little emphasis is placed on the importance of life, and preserving life. People just don't care. Sometimes, I think that the cases might even be murderous. If nothing else, they're extremely negligent. It will never ever ever make any sense to me, why people don't remember that they have a kid but they can remember their phone or their purse or their keys...

I remember every day was a chaotic and completely different schedule. I had twins to take care of, and another infant oh, so it was quite a bit like taking care of triplets. I also had preschoolers and a kindergartener that I was taking to and from different schools, picking them up at different times and taking them to other activities, all of my classes I had to take for both college and for continuing education for child care, parent meetings that I would have at random, grocery store trips, field trips, you name it I was doing it. Never once did I ever forget a kid. Forgotten to go pick up something at the grocery store, yes. Accidentally forgot to go to an appointment , yes. Left my phone at home, definitely! Hell I think I even left my purse at home. Never once, will one of those kids left behind. Why? I valued them too much to let something happen to them. Our job as parents and caregivers is to ensure their safety, well-being, Health to the best of our ability, and love. Loving these kids means not putting them in back of our mind. It is one thing for some sort of freak accident to happen, but forgetting a child is no accident.
Tags:a mothers job the history of daycare, bonding, death, disengagement, distracted parents, hot car death, hot car death prevention, hot car deaths, late arrivals, long hours in care, willful ignorance
1 2
Reply Up