Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Thanksgiving Ideas...
kendallina 12:21 PM 11-18-2010
Hi, do you all have special activities regarding Thanksgiving? I don't do worksheets or coloring pages, but do you do any crafts or, like friendship soups or anything? And if you do a friendship soup, how do you do it??
DCMomOf3 12:28 PM 11-18-2010
Yesterday we made placemats with pics of food from magazines that we are thankful for, then laminated for wear and tear. I am also trying to find a cute table-topper to make. I was hoping to use these gourds and make them into some kind of turkeys.
kendallina 12:45 PM 11-18-2010
Originally Posted by DCMomOf3:
Yesterday we made placemats with pics of food from magazines that we are thankful for, then laminated for wear and tear. I am also trying to find a cute table-topper to make. I was hoping to use these gourds and make them into some kind of turkeys.
Oooh...the placemat's a good idea. I've never used gourds for anything, I wonder what people use them for usually...I'm heading to google to figure it out. Maybe someone here can help me with gourd ideas....
Lilbutterflie 01:54 PM 11-18-2010
Yesterday we painted paper plates by sponging red, yellow and orange. Let them dry over night.
Today we glued red, orange, yellow, brown felt squares around the edge of the paper plate to frame it. This was good b/c the older ones got to practice how to make a pattern.
Then I painted their palm and thumb with brown, and each of the other fingers with either red, yellow, green or blue. Placed their handprint in the center to be a turkey. Then you paint the beak, eyes and legs. Very cute and looks like a framed handprint turkey!
Here's a link:
http://crafts.kaboose.com/framed-handprint-turkey.html

Last year I made thankful turkeys that turned out amazing! They were on the expensive side to make, but were the most amazing table centerpieces! I attached a picture (my first time so I hope it worked).
Attached: IMG_0850.jpg (94.7 KB) 
nikia 03:20 PM 11-18-2010
Originally Posted by kendallina:
Oooh...the placemat's a good idea. I've never used gourds for anything, I wonder what people use them for usually...I'm heading to google to figure it out. Maybe someone here can help me with gourd ideas....
The really cool think about gourds IMO is that if you store them for a year they dry out and become shakers, so you have fun noise makers, not that many of us need more noise but my kids love them. But as far as ideas for the year before they dry out I have none
VTMom 04:24 PM 11-18-2010
We'll be making apple turkeys, using the apple as the body and tail feathers from orange peel, and the head and feet from heavy colored paper.
SandeeAR 05:22 PM 11-18-2010
Originally Posted by VTMom:
We'll be making apple turkeys, using the apple as the body and tail feathers from orange peel, and the head and feet from heavy colored paper.
You can also use toothpicks with 3 or 4 gumdrops on each toothpick for the tail feathers.
VTMom 05:51 PM 11-18-2010
Originally Posted by SandeeAR:
You can also use toothpicks with 3 or 4 gumdrops on each toothpick for the tail feathers.
I like that idea better!
SilverSabre25 06:29 PM 11-18-2010
My group is mostly too young for crafts, but I might feel brave enough to try handprint turkeys with them, or something. Any ideas for really simple crafts (for one 3 year old and a bunch of 1.5-2?)
kendallina 06:59 PM 11-18-2010
Originally Posted by nikia:
The really cool think about gourds IMO is that if you store them for a year they dry out and become shakers, so you have fun noise makers, not that many of us need more noise but my kids love them. But as far as ideas for the year before they dry out I have none
I love that idea...I might pick several up this year to store. Thanks!
momofsix 10:13 AM 11-19-2010
You can make a cornucopia by having a sugar cone for each child and having everyone bring something to make a "friendship mix" like raisins, cheerios...any small healthy snack to fill the "cornucopia" with.
DCMom 10:49 AM 11-19-2010
Originally Posted by momofsix:
You can make a cornucopia by having a sugar cone for each child and having everyone bring something to make a "friendship mix" like raisins, cheerios...any small healthy snack to fill the "cornucopia" with.
This is a really cute idea, mind if I borrow that?

We are working on a 'Thankful Tree' which is a construction paper trunk and everyones hands traced on construction paper as the leaves. On each hand I write who's hand and what they are thankful for. I'll get a photo when it is done. I have done a class turkey like that also.

We also did handprint turkeys to take home this week
Attached: 101_2327.jpg (92.2 KB) 
momma2girls 11:26 AM 11-19-2010
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
My group is mostly too young for crafts, but I might feel brave enough to try handprint turkeys with them, or something. Any ideas for really simple crafts (for one 3 year old and a bunch of 1.5-2?)
I have 2- 2-3 yr. olds, we are doing hand prints, making them turkey like, then gluing them onto an empty toilet paper roll. That way they can stand up!! It's cute, easy and cheap!!!!!
Michael 11:29 AM 11-19-2010
Originally Posted by DCMom:
This is a really cute idea, mind if I borrow that?

We are working on a 'Thankful Tree' which is a construction paper trunk and everyones hands traced on construction paper as the leaves. On each hand I write who's hand and what they are thankful for. I'll get a photo when it is done. I have done a class turkey like that also.

We also did handprint turkeys to take home this week
Nice picture. Well done.
WImom 03:44 PM 11-21-2010
We are doing indian headbands with feathers, hand print turkey's, and a thanksgiving food collage on a printable cornucopia. We are also making mini pumpkin pies as a cooking activity.
MommyMuffin 04:16 AM 11-22-2010
Originally Posted by Iowa daycare:
I have 2- 2-3 yr. olds, we are doing hand prints, making them turkey like, then gluing them onto an empty toilet paper roll. That way they can stand up!! It's cute, easy and cheap!!!!!
I have 2 - 2 yos and the rest are all younger. I was thinking of doing a hand print chicken too...how do you do it though...paint, brown construction paper..goggle eyes...what do you use for the feathers? thanks
momma2girls 05:01 AM 11-22-2010
For some reason I cannot quote onto your question.
Oh well here it is- I trace on cardstock their right handprint. Then the color that, using all different colors. Then your fingers would be the wings. I place an eye and beard on the thumband glue onto the empty toilet paper holder. It is really simple, and cute, and it stands up.
Unregistered 05:06 AM 11-22-2010
The day before Thanksgiving we always do Turkey hands and I cook the kids a big lunch Turkey slices with gravy, mashed potatoes, corn, and biscuits and they have Thanksgiving cookies for snack we talk about what we are thankful for before we eat our meal.
momma2girls 05:17 AM 11-22-2010
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
The day before Thanksgiving we always do Turkey hands and I cook the kids a big lunch Turkey slices with gravy, mashed potatoes, corn, and biscuits and they have Thanksgiving cookies for snack we talk about what we are thankful for before we eat our meal.
I have a big feast as well, inc. pumpkin pie for everyone!! I can't wait!!!
QualiTcare 07:00 AM 11-22-2010
my little boy came home on friday with a turkey hat that was hiiil-arious and simple to make. i didn't make it, but i know it was simple!

it was a red plastic cup like everyone has at cookouts or keg parties

it was on top of his head with a hole punched on each side right above the rim of the cup and had a string tied through each hole so they tied under the chin. so, the bottom of the cup would be the top of the hat, and the open part/rim where you drink from would rest on their heads.

they just had the kids cut out a circle on brown paper and glue eyes and a beak and then staple that to the front of the cup, and then stapled turkey feathers to the back of the cup.

it was really simple and cheap, but it cracked me up.
laundrymom 09:01 AM 11-22-2010
we bake,.. apple bread banana bread, cookies, pies, candy, whatever we feel like. They learn more thru baking and decorating than doing a premade craft or typical idea,... and Ill be honest with you,.. I KNOW the project isnt ending up in the garbage. lol. Because one year I was not on my game,.. didnt do it,.. and I got complaints! lol.
newtodaycare22 10:04 AM 11-22-2010
My kids are loving this song today:

(to the tune of "If you're happy and you know it")

Hello Mr. Turkey, how are you? (clap clap)
With a wobble wobble wobble (shake)
And a gobble gobble gobble (make your hand open and close to 'talk')

WImom 11:51 AM 11-22-2010
cute song! Thanks!
Tags:thanksgiving
Reply Up