Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>9 1/2 Late on Some Physical Milestones
MarinaVanessa 01:00 PM 09-12-2018
Ok, ladies, I need some advice.
I have a 9 1/2 month old who for the most part meets every milestone. The only two things she's having a problem with is rolling from tummy to back (can roll from back to tummy just fine) and has not started to attempt sitting up yet.
EDIT: 3 things, she's not crawling yet either.
Normally I wouldn't be bothered but she started rolling from back to tummy at 5 months and has not progressed at to rolling from tummy to back since then. She attempts but there's no progress, she doesn't tuck her arm in at all. Ever.

Here is what I have been doing with her so far since around 6 months:
- She's on the floor the majority of the time, I mean it. She spends about 80% of her time on the floor.
- When she rolls from back to tummy and then gets stuck I encourage her to try to get her to roll over on her own (smiling, "come on", toys, snacks etc) until she starts to cry from not wanting to be on her tummy anymore, I stretch her arm either over her head or tuck it on her side, nudge her slightly to try to get herself to roll, and end up rolling her over. Rinse and repeat.
- I use 0 baby equipment, not even a swing, other than a highchair when she's eating.
- I don't strap her shoulders into the highchair, just the lap belt and I don't put anything around her lap to support her (like a towel blanket or something) and she always ends up leaning to one side or another after a few minutes. She can't support her upper body.
- I sit with her between my outstretched legs using them as lower support only so that she does not fall over and she has terrible balance. The longest that I've clocked her at sitting without falling over while I'm not touching her is 30 seconds.
- I set her down and pick her up using a rolling motion so that she gets used to the motion. I do this about 4-5 times a day for 10-15 minutes.
- I tuck her in into a rounded position (tuck her thighs/knees up towards her chest so her spine curves up) a few times a day and carry her tucked like that every time I need to carry her.

I don't know what else to try. I wasn't concerned before and thought I'd work with her and figured she was just a late developer but after 4 months of the same routine and no improvement at all now I'm starting to really monitor it. She also just recently stopped having the bobble-head effect as of like 6 weeks ago. I thought the rolling and sitting up were close behind but nothing so far.

Ideas, thoughts? Mom has noticed but Dr said to wait it out.
Homebody 02:48 PM 09-12-2018
This reminds me a lot of my nephew when he was a baby. His parents finally had him evaluated and found out he had low muscle tone, and they had to start doing physical therapy with him.
jenboo 03:57 PM 09-12-2018
Most babies who aren't propped up dont sit until after they can they crawl. They kinda have to get in that crawling position in order to get in a sitting position.

No advice on the rolling though.
284878 06:12 AM 09-13-2018
Do you have a developmental screening assessment tool like ages and stages questionnaire?
Cat Herder 06:38 AM 09-13-2018
Was she full term?
MarinaVanessa 09:11 AM 09-13-2018
Originally Posted by Homebody:
This reminds me a lot of my nephew when he was a baby. His parents finally had him evaluated and found out he had low muscle tone, and they had to start doing physical therapy with him.
This is what I'm thinking. I've been keeping an eye on it but I haven't seen any major improvements since about 5-6 months and she's almost 9 months now.

Originally Posted by jenboo:
Most babies who aren't propped up dont sit until after they can they crawl. They kinda have to get in that crawling position in order to get in a sitting position.

No advice on the rolling though.
Yeah and she doesn't even attempt to get anything except her chest and shoulder off of the floor when she's on her belly yet. Usually, by this age, they're starting to crawl or at least are in crawling position and rocking.

Originally Posted by 284878:
Do you have a developmental screening assessment tool like ages and stages questionnaire?
I was able to get my hands on a ASQ-3 form for her and even used the calculator to make sure I used the right form and spent yesterday assessing her. She only scored a 10 in gross motor ... 1 out of 6 benchmarks got marked off.

Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
Was she full term?
Yes full term.
Tags:9 month old, 9 year old, marinavanessa, milestones, milestones - physical, rett syndrome
Reply Up