Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Help Me Through This...Backbone/Late Payment
SilverSabre25 01:44 PM 11-01-2012
Usually DCF pays me electronically twice a month (that's how they get paid). They send the payment through and 2-3 buisness days later I have the money.

Well, they didn't send it yesterday despite an email reminder. So far it hasn't come through today either and now it's late enough that I won't even have access to the money until sometime early next week. This isn't okay because our car needs its brakes done ASAP. We can't wait until next week. What I really want is cash by tomorrow AM, but I'm too chicken to ask for it.

Instead I'm going to tell DCD at pick-up (whenever they bother to show up) that if I don't get the email by tomorrow AM then I will start assessing late fees. What I'd LIKE to do at this point is charge late fees until I get access to the money.

What I'd like MORE is cash, at drop-off tomorrow. But I don't know how to say that. I'm not sure I have the strength to say that.

Two weeks' pay for two kids...it's nothing to sneeze at.
Blackcat31 02:01 PM 11-01-2012
I think you should tell them that their payment is late and late fees will apply UNLESS they pay you cash tomorrow otherwise, late fees will continue to accrue until the money is actually AVAILABLE to you.

Bet they cough up the cash....especially since it is a nice way to avoid all those "hefty" late fees. (this is assuming you have a good late fee rate)
nanglgrl 02:01 PM 11-01-2012
My backbones not great but one thing I'm able to do without any qualms is demand payment. I make everyone pay before they get care so it's a bit different but I would flat out refuse to watch their children for another day if they were behind on payment. You've provided food, supplies, electricity and your time to these children for the last 2 weeks already and not been paid. Don't put yourself in the hole any more!
daycare 02:04 PM 11-01-2012
I would tell them at pick up....

I just wanted to let you know that I have not gotten your payment yet and was wondering if something happened. Unfortunately, right now your payment is past due and I would hate to have to keep charging you late fees.. Can you please resolve this issue by tomorrow morning. I love extra money, but I don't want to make it this way..
SunshineMama 02:05 PM 11-01-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I think you should tell them that their payment is late and late fees will apply UNLESS they pay you cash tomorrow otherwise, late fees will continue to accrue until the money is actually AVAILABLE to you.

Bet they cough up the cash....especially since it is a nice way to avoid all those "hefty" late fees. (this is assuming you have a good late fee rate)

This is definitely the best way to handle things. I'm a chicken though so I know it would be hard for me to say anything, but I think BC is 100% on the money!
SilverSabre25 02:29 PM 11-01-2012
ugh....i feel sick to my stomach with nerves and i feel like bursting into tears. i hate, hate, hate being put in this position. especially given everything else toysr family has done just today, i know i have to have the backbone but i hate it :-( :-( . my hands are actually shaking... and worst yet they probably won't pick up until 6 or later.
nanglgrl 02:32 PM 11-01-2012
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
ugh....i feel Dick to my stomach with nerves and i feel like bursting into tears. i hate, hate, hate being put in this position. especially given everything else toysr family has done just today, i know i have to have the backbone but i hate it :-( :-( . my hands are actually shaking... and worst yet they probably won't pick up until 6 or later.
I have to say that your typo made my day. LOL. Good luck!
daycare 02:36 PM 11-01-2012
lol at the typo.........

Big hugs......shake it off.... take deep breaths and remember that they need you just as much as you need them......what they are doing is not fair, if its on purpose.

perhaps there was an oversight on their part.....can you email them? would that make you feel better?

Maybe you can address to all and say (but really only send to them)...this is a friendly reminder that all payments not received my 6pm today are considered late. Please be sure to get your payments in to avoid late fee.
SilverSabre25 03:30 PM 11-01-2012
here goes nothing...
MyAngels 03:32 PM 11-01-2012
Good luck! Keep us posted...
SilverSabre25 03:35 PM 11-01-2012
and all is well. phew. good i hate that. I'll get the money tomorrow am.

THANK YOU!! knowing you guys understand and have my back is the best thing ever.
MyAngels 03:39 PM 11-01-2012
Awesome!

I can see your backbone glowing all the way over here .
EchoMom 07:33 PM 11-01-2012
Good job, glad the outcome was good! Believe me I TOTALLY relate to the shaky hands, sick to your stomach feeling. My mom has eavesdropped on me having very difficult conversations with parents and she says OMG you're so good at it! You're so professional and tactful but you didn't back down. But then I say how inside I was going to throw up and I'm shaking and so anxious!!!!

Woohoo, enjoy your chunk of money! Oh wait, in one hand and out the other to the mechanic huh? This is life... :P

Silver, do you not make them pay you in advance???
Mom&Provider 05:35 AM 11-02-2012
I've been having an issue with one family lately as well...never provides my cheque until later in the week, its due on Mondays. I haven't said anything, yet, but I keep reminding myself that if I were getting paid from an actual company, I'd complain if I didn't get it on time. I'm pretty sure parents would be complaining to their place of work if they didn't get a pay cheque on time each week too, so this is no different!

Good for you!!
SilverSabre25 07:02 AM 11-02-2012
Originally Posted by glenechogirl:
Good job, glad the outcome was good! Believe me I TOTALLY relate to the shaky hands, sick to your stomach feeling. My mom has eavesdropped on me having very difficult conversations with parents and she says OMG you're so good at it! You're so professional and tactful but you didn't back down. But then I say how inside I was going to throw up and I'm shaking and so anxious!!!!

Woohoo, enjoy your chunk of money! Oh wait, in one hand and out the other to the mechanic huh? This is life... :P

Silver, do you not make them pay you in advance???
yep, in one hand, out the other. blah. and no, they don't pay in advance. Second family i ever signed on...three years ago. it works for the most part. now they are leaving (job change) at the end of the month. they're gonna get a rude awakening when they get a new provider...they're going to be looking north, which add we've discussed, had higher rates...:-P
littlemissmuffet 07:11 AM 11-02-2012
Really glad this worked out for you, Silver!!

I know, it's easy to say do this, do that, "have a backbone"... but it's not always easy to actually have one.

Happy Friday!
Tags:backbone, late payment
Reply Up