Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Trying To Decide Between Two Handbook Changes
WImom 12:51 PM 10-28-2013
Right now I have two days that are paid holiday's but are not really holiday's....
Day after Christmas (if weekday) and Day after 4th of July - I would still like to be closed those days but thinking I should get rid of them and just close unpaid.

I also don't give parents unpaid days if they are off. I am enrollment based not attendance.

As a parent would you prefer me leaving the holiday's but after a year of service they get two "free day" coupons to use with 2 weeks notice. OR
just get rid of the two extra "Holidays"?

Lately I have had lots of interviews but only two enrollments (probably 10 interviews). I'm not used to this as I usually get most kids I interview unless I chose not to. Trying to see if this could be why? Parents seem to care more about money than quality care.

Also, do you go through your handbook with them at the interview? I never do but thought maybe I need to.
cheerfuldom 01:06 PM 10-28-2013
What sort of feedback are you receiving regarding why parents are not choosing to enroll with you? I seriously doubt that two days a year is really making that huge of a difference. I would imagine that your overall rates could be a factor though. I know it is hard to consider this but if you have many spots to be filled (that you formerly had no trouble filling) and you are doing interviews but not getting enrollments, I would consider lowering rates. I had to do that several years ago. I lowered by $20 a week (big cut for me) but it resulted in my spots being filled quicker and now I have increased rates by $10 a week and slowly getting back to a more reasonable rate for me. My area was hit hard with jobs and I am finding a lot of parents forced to pick cheaper options or try and piece together part time jobs to make ends meet (meaning they need part time care not full time). Plus a of the moms that lost their jobs starting offering unlicensed childcare which is legal here if you stay under a certain ratio of kids. These SAHMs did not have experience or a nice set up or any extras but their rates were hard to compete with. I am being honest in saying that over the course of 6 months, I probably came across 50 up to 100 new providers, it was insane. i think our population here is around 100 thousand. so yeah, sometimes lowering rates are an option to remain competitive.
Heidi 01:07 PM 10-28-2013
My handbook is online, and before they even come I direct them to it. Then, I go through the major stuff when they're here. Seriously, though, most of my interviews are more "get to know you" than policy oriented.

I USED to go through the whole thing, but once WI added so many required elements that it's 10+ pages long, I stopped. They won't remember 90% of it...heck, I don't.

I have a separate contract that I has payment, holidays, etc on it. I get that out and go through it once they're pretty much hooked. I have not had anyone argue about a day or 2.
butterfly 01:12 PM 10-28-2013
I personally would just leave your days off the way they are and get paid for them. I think you deserve a little time off - PAID time off.

I don't think 2 days out of the WHOLE year is going to scare off clients, but I could certainly be wrong.

I don't go through the whole handbook/contract, but I do highlight areas that are VERY important to me (payments and late pickups and anything else that appears like it may be an issue with the particular family I'm interviewing with). I do have the clients initial every section of my handbook stating that they have read and understand it.

I think this is just a slow time of year for enrolling clients. I feel like most of the people looking right now are the ones having major issues with their current daycare or have new infants. It seems like the new year or new school year (either end of current school year or right before the start of the next school year tends to be where I have the most calls and enrollments)

TwinKristi 01:40 PM 10-28-2013
I have my standard holidays paid (New Years, the Mon after Easter, Memorial Day, 4th of July, Labor Day, Thanksgiving [the day after unpaid], Christmas [and Christmas Eve unpaid]) and any time they take off is paid. Any time I take off other than those days are unpaid.
I also don't think that's what is swaying your perspective clients really. It's a transitional time of year. I'm super slow too. I have had an ad on CL for 2 months with nothing. I've made business cards, a Yelp page, on a Facebook
Group, I have clients giving business cards when asked, R&R list...
WImom 01:55 PM 10-28-2013
I did want to mention I have all the regular holidays as already paid and won't change those.

Yeah, I increased my hours to 5:15 since it was 4:30 and always has been and not a problem. I'm also not high in my area but not low either and haven't changed my rates for a few years.

Hopefully, it's just slow. It seems like most parents are really serious right now or they want lots of special.
cheerfuldom 03:11 PM 10-28-2013
Originally Posted by WImom:
I did want to mention I have all the regular holidays as already paid and won't change those.

Yeah, I increased my hours to 5:15 since it was 4:30 and always has been and not a problem. I'm also not high in my area but not low either and haven't changed my rates for a few years.

Hopefully, it's just slow. It seems like most parents are really serious right now or they want lots of special.
I agree. once school starts, things are generally slow till December and then people want to make changes after the new year. I have had plenty of parents inquiring about care lately but 95% of them are asking for A LOT of special and more than likely, in a daycare right now and just trying to get special somewhere else. its very annoying with all the daycare shoppers.
Tags:handbook changes, paid holidays, paid time off
Reply Up