Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
1 2 
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>It Must Be Time For "Worst Gift Ever Received By A DCfamily" Thread!
crazydaycarelady 07:34 AM 12-04-2013
Maybe we could do best gift and worst gift?

Worst - A little manicure set that came from the dollar store.

Also there was the dad who commented after being late a lot that they were going to have to give me a really good Christmas gift. They gave me a kitchen washcloth and a pot scrubber that year. I hate to think what the regular gift would have been had they not been late all those times!?!

Best gift(s)- movie gift certificates for my whole family, dinner gift card with enough for the whole family, and a spa gift card with enough for a massage!
lovemylife 07:57 AM 12-04-2013
Worst- a strand of yarn tied to a pinecone. She was dropping off in the morning and saw other parents giving me gifts. I think she thought it was required?? Then she gave it to me at pick up.

Best- a gift card to a salon!
SilverSabre25 08:01 AM 12-04-2013
Originally Posted by lovemylife:
Worst- a strand of yarn tied to a pinecone. She was dropping off in the morning and saw other parents giving me gifts. I think she thought it was required?? Then she gave it to me at pick up.

Best- a gift card to a salon!
The funny thing is, this would be super cute come from a kid!
KDC 08:16 AM 12-04-2013
My best and worst came from the same family, strangely enough.

Best: A book created digitally from some online site. The DCB picked the pictures, and colors on the pictures and created the 'characters' based on the fun things he did at Ms. K's daycare. It went through circle time, lunch time, games, dancing, making play doh, singing, and even had me drinking my coffee, lol! He did all the pictures and text himself. It was really stinkin' cute. by far my favorite gift!

Worst: chocolate covered sunflower seeds (eww) and a pepto pink metalic box with yellow stars?

I've received a fair share of awesome gift cards as well. One family always gave me some fun theme'd cards... or spa cards =)
crazydaycarelady 08:18 AM 12-04-2013
This is going to sound cold hearted but I would rather not receive homemade gifts from the dckids. I have 3 kids of my own and if I am going to hang ornaments on my tree or around my house it will be from them. Maybe this just comes from doing this for so long.
CedarCreek 08:42 AM 12-04-2013
Best: $50 gift card to Target

Worst: A box of crunch n' munch. Um...thanks?
nanglgrl 08:48 AM 12-04-2013
Originally Posted by crazydaycarelady:
This is going to sound cold hearted but I would rather not receive homemade gifts from the dckids. I have 3 kids of my own and if I am going to hang ornaments on my tree or around my house it will be from them. Maybe this just comes from doing this for so long.
I feel about the same way. I have four children and have hard enough time throwing away their old drawings and crafts after they've spent a few weeks out for everyone to see. I don't need more guilt throwing away things from daycare kids!
I do appreciate they thought of me and don't mind homemade gifts 100% made by the child (a card or picture) , that I can discreetly get rid of at the end if the season but the worst was when a mom made me a picture frame from crayons. I felt obligated to put it out and the dang thing kept falling apart!
Kimskiddos 08:50 AM 12-04-2013
Best gift was a weeks tuition as a bonus, I've received many nice and thoughtful gifts from my dc families.

Worst gift was a tacky and ugly little photo frame (no picture) from the dollar store. I was insulted by this gift and would have preferred nothing at all!
daycarediva 08:54 AM 12-04-2013
ITA. Every year I have received framed photos of at least ONE day care kid. Um, I know what your kid looks like, thanks.

It's NOT personal, I really do adore their kids, but I won't put their photos up alongside my own kids and nieces/other family. No way.
Unregistered 09:00 AM 12-04-2013
If I am going to be judged by provders about the gift I give, I wont bother getting anything at all.
I always figured it was the thought that counts.
This thread makes providers seem very materialistic.
I follow my daycare ladys rules and policies and am respectful of her and home. I always pay on time too. She always says that is more than enough and shows my appreciation of all she does.
Play Care 09:04 AM 12-04-2013
I have a separate, smaller day care tree for this very reason
CedarCreek 09:06 AM 12-04-2013
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
If I am going to be judged by provders about the gift I give, I wont bother getting anything at all.
I follow my daycare ladys rules and policies and am respectful of her and home. I always pay on time too. She always says that is more than enough and shows my appreciation of all she does.
I knew an unregistered poster was going to chime in with something like this.

Have you ever gotten a terrible gift for anyone ever? Did the thought count to you? Of course it did. No one said the thought didn't count, the thread is just making light of some bad gifts.

Would you like an example of a bad gift I have gotten from my Dh? He gave me Mickey Mouse fleece pjs last year. Because I don't like them I must be such a selfish and materialistic wife, right?

Please. I'm not in the mood for nonsense today.
CedarCreek 09:07 AM 12-04-2013
Originally Posted by Play Care:
I have a separate, smaller day care tree for this very reason
I think that's a great idea!
Play Care 09:09 AM 12-04-2013
Originally Posted by CedarCreek:

Have you ever gotten a terrible gift for anyone ever? Did the thought count to you? Of course it did. No one said the thought didn't count, the thread is just making light of some bad gifts.

Would you like an example of a bad gift I have gotten from my Dh? He gave me Mickey Mouse fleece pjs last year. Because I don't like them I must be such a selfish and materialistic wife, right?

I got a vacuum cleaner one year from my DH
CedarCreek 09:11 AM 12-04-2013
If it was an IRobot I would consider that a good gift!
MamaBearCanada 09:15 AM 12-04-2013
If it was an IRobot I would consider that a good gift!
i would love an IRobot! I actually asked for an electric scrubbing mop this year.....
Leigh 09:18 AM 12-04-2013
Really? In my opinion, a $1, tacky gift shows exactly the thought that went into it. It says "I HAVE to get you something, but I don't WANT to, because I don't think you are worth it". It really DOES hurt to have someone give you a gift like that. It doesn't bother me a bit to get NO gift, but getting a gift that says "this is an obligation, not a heartfelt *I appreciate you*" just plain sucks.

My own provider, when I used one, received a week's pay (and I couldn't afford it, but knew she DESERVED it-I consider that just to be a part of hiring her to give her a bonus, the same way I do for my hair stylist).
SilverSabre25 09:19 AM 12-04-2013
have you ever complained about a gift or bonus given by your boss? A co-worker? Maybe something you received in one of those silly office secret santa things? have you ever even been quietly miffed about the thoughtlessness of a gift given by a friend or relative? Have you ever stared at an ugly knick-knack you have to keep for appearance's sake, and wished you had the cash instead? If you answer no....let's face it...you're probably lying to either us or yourself.

YES. We do this for the money. YES. we would like appreciation. YES....if you don't know what to give your provider....try a visa gift card, or starbucks gift card....or cash. Or pick up early with her favorite chocolate bar in hand. or show up with a smile and a small box of new art supplies, or a cost-co sized case of tissues or band aids or paper towels or toilet paper. surprise us with lunch one day during naptime. Give us a card with a handwritten note about how much you appreciate the work we do to care for and educate and yes, help raise, your precious child. Bring her flowers. Donate a new toy to the daycare.

I guarantee you that even if you just show up with something small, but thoughtful, you will be elevated to the position of Most Awesome Daycare Parent, especially if you are truthful about following rules, etc.
Kimskiddos 09:19 AM 12-04-2013
I did get an IRobot for Christmas one year from dh, it was about 3 years after I had asked for it, so by that time I was over it. What I wanted was Nook tablet (which I got last year). The IRobot is okay but after a while the sensors kept saying it was dirty and would shut off. Drove the dog and cat slightly nuts too.
Blackcat31 09:25 AM 12-04-2013

I feel the same way though.... (as unregistered)

I think that threads like these belong in the "Off-topic" or members only section if they are going to be posted at all.

I cringe when I read threads that have the possibility of dissing parents...kwim? Parents are my bread and butter. How they view child care providers weighs heavily on whether I remain successful or not in this business.

There are so many things during this time of the year to be grateful for that I kind of think it is petty to be 'complaining' about someone who had the decency to even think of you during the holidays in the first place....kwim?

It's simply the way I personally, feel about gifts, giving and the thought process behind it all.

Either people complain about not getting anything at all or they complain about what they get.

Maybe providers should post gift lists so their parents know exactly what to get them. or not to get them... Seems that would solve the whole dilemma.

Flame away if you want, I have a thick skin.
MrsSteinel'sHouse 09:38 AM 12-04-2013
One of my parents brought me Tim Horton's the other day... so thoughtful. It is the little things that I appreciate. For Christmas- Sometimes the card means more than the weeks pay. I have truly awesome parents. Last year one of my little guys brought me a pair of socks! Blue, fuzzy socks! I made sure I wore them often (took off my socks right there and then and put them on) I love them because he at 2 yrs old picked them out!
I do not expect a Christmas gift from my parents and I do not go overboard for their kids. The kids make their parents an ornament (It is now tradition here) and I give the kids a token "something" generally a book.
It is the day in day out relationship that I have with my parents that I appreciate the most. I love their kids and I love their families. I have a really good balance right now and for that I am very grateful.
melilley 09:41 AM 12-04-2013
I have to say that I have never really received a bad gift from a family, but one year I did get a gift card for Christmas, I believe, and on it, it said Happy Birthday... I think the dad purchased it and didn't realize...lol

I did get a Starbucks card from a parent for teacher appreciation week. Not many parents know of this week, but my dcp worked at a center so knew. I also have received yummy specialty bread, candles, a Willow Tree figurine (one of my favs), fuzzy socks, etc...
I really appreciate the thought and it is nice to receive gifts, but I do feel kind of funny/embarrassed when parents give me gifts. I'm more of a giver.

Now, as for my dh, one year I asked for a fluffy, girly, pink, maybe polka dotted bathrobe. He did get me one, but it was a red not so fluffy one. I laugh to myself when I wear it, but he's not one to know what to buy clothing wise anyways...lol
Leigh 09:43 AM 12-04-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

I think that threads like these belong in the "Off-topic" or members only section if they are going to be posted at all.

I cringe when I read threads that have the possibility of dissing parents...kwim? Parents are my bread and butter. How they view child care providers weighs heavily on whether I remain successful or not in this business.

There are so many things during this time of the year to be grateful for that I kind of think it is petty to be 'complaining' about someone who had the decency to even think of you during the holidays in the first place....kwim?

It's simply the way I personally, feel about gifts, giving and the thought process behind it all.

Either people complain about not getting anything at all or they complain about what they get.

Maybe providers should post gift lists so their parents know exactly what to get them. or not to get them... Seems that would solve the whole dilemma.

I agree with you for the most part. I don't expect a gift, and actually find it kind of awkward to receive one. I DO, however, think that giving a gift that isn't the least bit considerate or heartfelt is insulting. It's not about the amount spent, or even if I like it, but I can't help but feel insulted (and rightly so) when a gift is a random piece of junk. I'd rather have a child draw me a picture for Christmas or receive a card from a child than have a parent throw something at me that says "here's your dang gift, NOT that I wanted to give you anything". I am grateful to be able to say that there is nothing that I NEED. There is very little "stuff" that I even WANT. A sincere THANK YOU is much more appreciated than a cheap trinket that a parent bought out of obligation.
CedarCreek 09:52 AM 12-04-2013

I will agree that thread a like this is often better off in the off topic section or the members only section.

The rest, I'm not going to flame you. We view this differently.

But, you know as well as I do that unregistered posters often post things that are rude and uncalled for. You can post your view point without being rude or painting all providers with the same brush.
CedarCreek 09:53 AM 12-04-2013
Originally Posted by Leigh:
I agree with you for the most part. I don't expect a gift, and actually find it kind of awkward to receive one. I DO, however, think that giving a gift that isn't the least bit considerate or heartfelt is insulting. It's not about the amount spent, or even if I like it, but I can't help but feel insulted (and rightly so) when a gift is a random piece of junk. I'd rather have a child draw me a picture for Christmas or receive a card from a child than have a parent throw something at me that says "here's your dang gift, NOT that I wanted to give you anything". I am grateful to be able to say that there is nothing that I NEED. There is very little "stuff" that I even WANT. A sincere THANK YOU is much more appreciated than a cheap trinket that a parent bought out of obligation.

SilverSabre25 09:53 AM 12-04-2013
BC i do agree with you that this is better in a more private section
Blackcat31 09:56 AM 12-04-2013
I DO, however, think that giving a gift that isn't the least bit considerate or heartfelt is insulting. It's not about the amount spent, or even if I like it, but I can't help but feel insulted (and rightly so) when a gift is a random piece of junk.
But sometimes I feel that we get those awkward and less than considerate gifts because there is a feeling of obligation. kwim?

When parents feel pressured to HAVE to gift someone, that is when the less than considerate gifts come into play.

Atleast that is my thought process in this.
Blackcat31 09:59 AM 12-04-2013
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
BC i do agree with you that this is better in a more private section
I agree. I also feel that venting is necessary. Even about parents and specific situations.

We are human.

My distaste comes from a whole thread that seems aimed at bashing bad gift givers.

I didn't move it, because I try really hard not to impose my personal feelings onto the entire board. I simply try to remain neutral and post my opinion as MY PERSONAL opinion.
Shell 10:00 AM 12-04-2013
When I used to work at a center in a very rich town, the teachers were paid crap, but the parents were very generous! Every single child gave both teachers in the room gift cards or cash ranging from $25-$50!!! Then, as a nanny, I would receive a weeks pay plus some kind of amazing pocket book, or some other surprise gift that was extremely thoughtful.
When I moved to a different town, and started home daycare, it was a real reality check! I usually get something small from every parent-which I really appreciate, but the best gifts of all are gift certificates or cash. I don't mean to insult parents, either, but maybe if just one reads this thread, and is looking to get their provider a great gift, they will consider a gift card or cash-that we will likely use to buy some crafts or toys that their child will play with, too, or maybe reward ourselves with something we couldn't afford on our own.
Leigh 10:02 AM 12-04-2013
But sometimes I feel that we get those awkward and less than considerate gifts because there is a feeling of obligation. kwim?

When parents feel pressured to HAVE to gift someone, that is when the less than considerate gifts come into play.

You're right there, and honestly, those "junk" presents are still worth it when the child has the joy of giving it to you and seeing you exclaim over it.
Msdunny 10:05 AM 12-04-2013
I am a gift giver - I love thinking over who will get what and making choices that I think will please them the most. And I love it when I know that someone has spent that time (however short) thinking of me.

My 'worst' gift wasn't really bad at all, but the parent didn't know me very well at the time. It was a gift basket that she bought from my favorite coffee shop here in town and I was excited when I first saw it. It was filled with a Minnie Mouse mug - loved that - and various teas, which I don't drink. I know she bought it because I love anything Disney and she and I had met for coffee at that same shop a few weeks before, so it really was a sweet gesture, just missed the mark a little. My husband liked the tea, though, so it all worked out.

Worst gift of all time, ever? I had a family member, years ago, who gave me a shower cap. Yep, a .50 shower cap. I was a teenager at the time, so I am sure my face showed my shock. I hope I was kind with my thanks!

My best gift? Easy - we had a Daycare family give us their time share points one year that allowed our family to take a week's vacation at Disney World, where we stayed in a Deluxe Villa at Animal Kingdom Lodge. I doubt any gift will ever top that!
Blackcat31 10:05 AM 12-04-2013
I will agree that thread a like this is often better off in the off topic section or the members only section.

The rest, I'm not going to flame you. We view this differently.

But, you know as well as I do that unregistered posters often post things that are rude and uncalled for. You can post your view point without being rude or painting all providers with the same brush.
That is exactly why I said something though...this thread paints providers with the same brush....

It goes both ways..

I also don't care if someone is unregistered or not. Some nameless person's opinion is just as valuable as someone who has a fake user name attached..kwim?
hope 10:06 AM 12-04-2013

DH got me pillows one year....bed pillows with no pillow case. A cutting board another year. I can't help but laugh. He really thinks he nailed it each time. Haha.
Luna 10:09 AM 12-04-2013

I can relate to this, because it goes both ways. I always have the kids make a gift for their parents and I give a little gift to each child. This year I have a 1 year old and I have no idea what to give her.
I do feel obligated to give her something, so I'll likely end up giving something just for the sake of giving something. It doesn't mean I haven't put any thought into it, or that I don't care about her, it just means I do not know what to give her.
I'm sure this happens with parents when it comes to providers too.
crazydaycarelady 10:09 AM 12-04-2013
BC - feel free to move this to off-topic if you like.

Why is it that when we providers discuss anything unsavory it turns us into bad, heartless, money grubbing people?

Newsflash - being a provider is NOT all butterflies and rainbows. Most of us work alone so this type of forum is our water cooler. We are better providers for having a water cooler too, a place to commiserate, get support, and laugh with each other!

I have heard plenty of people with "real jobs" complain about their bonus amount or the tower of treats they received from their boss. So laughing about the $1 manicure set I received does not make me materialistic. If it is the thought that counts then I can guarantee a gift is much more appreciated if a little thought actually goes into it.
melilley 10:16 AM 12-04-2013
Originally Posted by hope;414335I:
can't help but laugh. He really thinks he nailed it each time. Haha.
Had to laugh!
CedarCreek 10:20 AM 12-04-2013
That is exactly why I said something though...this thread paints providers with the same brush....

It goes both ways..

I also don't care if someone is unregistered or not. Some nameless person's opinion is just as valuable as someone who has a fake user name attached..kwim?
I don't think it does, unless every provider on this site is posting on it.

It's well known that people use unregistered status to post mean things, we have this conversation a lot on the boards. Unregistered or not though, if you shoot shade at me, like unregistered did, your opinion is automatically less valuable to me. Regardless of status.
butterfly 10:25 AM 12-04-2013
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
have you ever complained about a gift or bonus given by your boss? A co-worker? Maybe something you received in one of those silly office secret santa things? have you ever even been quietly miffed about the thoughtlessness of a gift given by a friend or relative? Have you ever stared at an ugly knick-knack you have to keep for appearance's sake, and wished you had the cash instead? If you answer no....let's face it...you're probably lying to either us or yourself.

YES. We do this for the money. YES. we would like appreciation. YES....if you don't know what to give your provider....try a visa gift card, or starbucks gift card....or cash. Or pick up early with her favorite chocolate bar in hand. or show up with a smile and a small box of new art supplies, or a cost-co sized case of tissues or band aids or paper towels or toilet paper. surprise us with lunch one day during naptime. Give us a card with a handwritten note about how much you appreciate the work we do to care for and educate and yes, help raise, your precious child. Bring her flowers. Donate a new toy to the daycare.

I guarantee you that even if you just show up with something small, but thoughtful, you will be elevated to the position of Most Awesome Daycare Parent, especially if you are truthful about following rules, etc.

CedarCreek 10:25 AM 12-04-2013
Another thought: I am POSITIVE that no one on here voices it when they get a "bad" gift. (This goes back to moving this in the off topic section for ventings sake) but like with my DH, I didn't tell him the pjs he gave me sucked. I wore them anyway.

Same goes for my daycare kids or parents. Any gift they give me, I act like it's the best thing ever.
lovemykidstoo 10:26 AM 12-04-2013
I don't expect anything from my parents and have never received what I think is a bad gift. My favorite thing wasn't at Christmas, but rather last summer when one of my dcm's brought me a fountain diet coke from McDonalds. I'm an addict when it comes to fountain pop diet coke. That just made my day that she thought of me like that. It was a $1.00 product that seriously made my day!! It's the thought that counts.

My real bad present was from my so-called father and his wife. It was a pair, yes a pair, of nursery room nightlights. One was pale green and one was pink and white checked. The kicker? I wasn't pregnant, had no children at the time and worked at a bank. Talk about no thought. bwahaha! That was 20 years ago and my brother and I still laugh about that.
Blackcat31 10:27 AM 12-04-2013
BC - feel free to move this to off-topic if you like.

Why is it that when we providers discuss anything unsavory it turns us into bad, heartless, money grubbing people?

Newsflash - being a provider is NOT all butterflies and rainbows. Most of us work alone so this type of forum is our water cooler. We are better providers for having a water cooler too, a place to commiserate, get support, and laugh with each other!

I have heard plenty of people with "real jobs" complain about their bonus amount or the tower of treats they received from their boss. So laughing about the $1 manicure set I received does not make me materialistic. If it is the thought that counts then I can guarantee a gift is much more appreciated if a little thought actually goes into it.
I didn't move it because it isn't about what I personally like or want to do...

NO job is all rainbows and butterflies.

I totally understand that this is a watercooler for providers.

It's natural to need that outlet. I understand that.

It's HOW providers do that, that gets my goat.

Personally, I feel that it just makes us all look bad.

Your thread could have begun by stating how you are always grateful to get a gift of appreciation from your DCK's and/or families but it didn't...

This is just MY personal opinion. I've said that before and I will say it again. I am not expecting people to agree if they don't. I am not expecting to be treated any differently than anyone else on this board that has an opinion.

I posted my opinion and then replied to those who quoted me. I am NOT trying to persuade you or anyone else to agree or see things from my perspective.
melilley 10:29 AM 12-04-2013
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo:
I don't expect anything from my parents and have never received what I think is a bad gift. My favorite thing wasn't at Christmas, but rather last summer when one of my dcm's brought me a fountain diet coke from McDonalds. I'm an addict when it comes to fountain pop diet coke. That just made my day that she thought of me like that. It was a $1.00 product that seriously made my day!! It's the thought that counts.

My real bad present was from my so-called father and his wife. It was a pair, yes a pair, of nursery room nightlights. One was pale green and one was pink and white checked. The kicker? I wasn't pregnant, had no children at the time and worked at a bank. Talk about no thought. bwahaha! That was 20 years ago and my brother and I still laugh about that.
I'm a Coke addict too! Love it-regular though and would love to have someone bring me one!

Ok, that is a bad gift-the lights Sorry, I had to laugh!
harperluu 10:29 AM 12-04-2013
I think as human beings first, we want to feel validated, appreciated and valued. The nature of our job is such that we have massive influence over the lives of each of the children for which we care. The nature of our job is such that we continue to influence heavily the people our little charges will become. In our society our profession is not valued. We are not appreciated. Oftentimes we grasp at any tiny little thing that makes us feel those things that fuel our souls and motivate us to continue, simply because it comes around so seldomly.

When was the last time you read an uplifting story about a provider because she made an impact on a daily basis to shape the people these children will become? So when I complain about a gift I've been given by an ungrateful client, it is really my way of saying why don't you appreciate me. Why can't you show me how much you value my crucial footprint on the lives of your little ones?

I'm not feeling judgmental, I'm feeling my work is not valued, appreciated or validated. And I don't think it makes me materialistic.

My favorite gift is a jar of homemade strawberry rhubarb jelly. I get it every year and I look forward to it.

My least favorite is a box of chocolates from valentine's day that was obviously a regift (ahem).

Write me a note saying how much my work means to you and your family. Don't bring me a 10 mth old box of chocolates.
Blackcat31 10:31 AM 12-04-2013
I don't think it does, unless every provider on this site is posting on it.

It's well known that people use unregistered status to post mean things, we have this conversation a lot on the boards. Unregistered or not though, if you shoot shade at me, like unregistered did, your opinion is automatically less valuable to me. Regardless of status.
How did the unregistered "shoot" at YOU?

They posted an opinion. They didn't even quote anyone...

I view ALL opinions as valuable perspective and IMHO, unregistered users are usually parents and the opinion of parents IS what is valuable to me.
lovemykidstoo 10:42 AM 12-04-2013
Originally Posted by melilley:
I'm a Coke addict too! Love it-regular though and would love to have someone bring me one!

Ok, that is a bad gift-the lights Sorry, I had to laugh!
I don't know what it is about the fountain pop bubbles, but it's so different than a can and yes, I'm an addict!

the nursery room nightlights, still crack me up to this day, so I guess the present was at least memorable! I don't know what went through their head when they picked those up and said, ya, think she'll love these. bwahahaha!
CedarCreek 10:46 AM 12-04-2013
How did the unregistered "shoot" at YOU?

They posted an opinion. They didn't even quote anyone...

I view ALL opinions as valuable perspective and IMHO, unregistered users are usually parents and the opinion of parents IS what is valuable to me.
"This thread makes providers seem very materialistic" is what was said by unregistered.

IMO, that's rude toward the providers who have posted on this thread. I.E. "Shooting shade" it's a slang term. Lol.

Their opinion could have been stated without calling people materialistic.

We could have started the thread by saying that we are grateful for whatever we received though.
renodeb 10:49 AM 12-04-2013
Best: Movie Passes for the 4 of us. When she handed me the little envelope I didnt even realize it was 4 movie passes! Another mom gave me a week tuition as a gift. (that was great!)
Worst: A set of peppermint scented candles that smelled so strong I finally through them out!
I have also received giftcards for dinners, walmart, and starbucks which are all great gifts.
One of my dc moms gave me a plate of goodies (homemade) that was the best! doubt she will have a chance this year she is due with baby #3 in about a month! (hehe) But I thought that was a super thoughtful thing!
I really never expect any gifts at all I just love felling appreciated! KWIM?
Deb
melilley 10:51 AM 12-04-2013
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo:
I don't know what it is about the fountain pop bubbles, but it's so different than a can and yes, I'm an addict!
Fountain pop is different! When I worked at a center, a couple of us would take a break at 9 am everyday to go get a fountain Coke..at 9 am! I'm addicted too!
It's funny, I did one of those games on fb where you had to mention a certain number of things about yourself and my last one was that I'm addicted to Coke (a-cola) and it chopped it off to just I'm addicted to Coke(you had to push read more to see the rest)...Needless to say I got a few comments..
MissAnn 10:58 AM 12-04-2013
Best: $250 cash
Worst: 1 Fig Newton
cheerfuldom 11:02 AM 12-04-2013
I am not going to worry about every single parent that might read a thread. I hope parents come here and read thru these threads and learn a little something. Sure, we vent and at times maybe get out of hand....we are humans after all. but we also post about the many hours we work, the low pay, the disrespect, etc, etc, and we should all hope parents come and read many threads and take some of that and apply it to their own relationship with the provider.

ATTENTION any lurking parents:

Please show that you appreciate your provider this Christmas anyway you can. Do something heartfelt. Before you grab that regifting item or that random thing from the dollar store, think twice. Is that really what you want the person who cares for your child all year to receive as a token of thanks? Can you write a heartfelt note or perhaps consider giving something more meaningful? I am not saying that every parent out there has to fork over a huge bonus or gift but please, don't insult your provider by bringing something random that someone gave you and you didnt even bother to think about the gift.

That said, the best gifts I have received is a weeks full pay as bonus. The worst was a small bag of mismatched bath and body stuff from a family that I know could have afforded something more. They did not bother to write a card but did make sure to tell me "Its the thought that counts" several times about their gift, on several different days....feeling guilty much? If it is the thought that counts, then I guess you dont think much of me because the items were thrown into a random bag and none of the items were packaged or sealed, making me think that you pulled what you didnt want from other gifts you received or worse, pulled things out of your cabinet that you may have already used.
butterfly 11:07 AM 12-04-2013
Originally Posted by MissAnn:
Best: $250 cash

Memc2001 11:10 AM 12-04-2013
LOL! Some of these "worst" gifts are hilarious!

I have always had great clients and those that give me a gift are very generous. One of them insists on giving me gifts every year. My husband is a Yankee Candle store mgr so we are giving them all Candle type gifts and the kids are getting a nice book. I don't expect it but I sure do appreciate the thought of a gift at Christmas.
crazydaycarelady 11:11 AM 12-04-2013
Originally Posted by :
Unregistered or not though, if you shoot shade at me, like unregistered did, your opinion is automatically less valuable to me. Regardless of status.
I totally agree with this!

Originally Posted by :
My favorite thing wasn't at Christmas, but rather last summer when one of my dcm's brought me a fountain diet coke from McDonalds. I'm an addict when it comes to fountain pop diet coke. That just made my day that she thought of me like that. It was a $1.00 product that seriously made my day!! It's the thought that counts.
This is what I meant about thought. The dcm that gave me the coffee packets? She saw that I liked them and made the effort to give me something I will truly enjoy! I really really appreciate the thoughts more than the gift on that occasion. And in your case a $1 soda made your day - because they thought of YOU!

Originally Posted by :
We could have started the thread by saying that we are grateful for whatever we received though
Yes, we could have but THIS thread is not about that. We have plenty of threads about how a particular parent does something great! We don't feel the need to also include something cruddy that a parent did also. And we are including best gifts too, and great gifts are obviously very much appreciated!
melilley 11:15 AM 12-04-2013
Originally Posted by MissAnn:
Uhhhh???

CedarCreek 11:16 AM 12-04-2013
I totally agree with this!

This is what I meant about thought. The dcm that gave me the coffee packets? She saw that I liked them and made the effort to give me something I will truly enjoy! I really really appreciate the thoughts more than the gift on that occasion.

Yes, we could have but THIS thread is not about that. We have plenty of threads about how a particular parent does something great! We don't feel the need to also include something cruddy that a parent did also. And we are including best gifts too, and great gifts are obviously very much appreciated!
That's true, I do agree that we have plenty of threads about how great dcps can be! They do often get over looked when we vent though. I know what you're saying
misslori50 11:18 AM 12-04-2013
No one is criticizing. This is a place for us to be able to vent. We work really hard to provide a wonderful place for the most valuable people in your life. Id rather get nothing than something that was not thought out.
crazydaycarelady 11:18 AM 12-04-2013
Originally Posted by :
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am not going to worry about every single parent that might read a thread. I hope parents come here and read thru these threads and learn a little something. Sure, we vent and at times maybe get out of hand....we are humans after all. but we also post about the many hours we work, the low pay, the disrespect, etc, etc, and we should all hope parents come and read many threads and take some of that and apply it to their own relationship with the provider.
I agree with this too!

I don't regret anything I have said on this site and if a parent comes here to read threads I hope they do learn something. It is no different than that article they have every month in Readers Digest where you get the real scoop from people in all different professions.
Josiegirl 11:24 AM 12-04-2013
A Fig Newton????

I wouldn't have gotten into the best/worst gift thing anyways, even before an unregistered poster posted. But ya know what I wish I could somehow tactfully say to the parents? Instead of buying me anything(which I've always felt guilty about receiving) I would love it if they'd buy the daycare something new. The wear and tear on our toys, games, books, etc. is horrible and to have brand new toys for the daycare would be so cool! But how does one tactfully say that without sounding like you're expecting a gift? Course it's too late for this year anyways but....
Sugar Magnolia 11:26 AM 12-04-2013
Best gift:......Genuine words of appreciation.
Worst gift: No such thing as a bad gift, in my opinion.
kitykids3 11:29 AM 12-04-2013
Best: $200 cash

Worst: not even being thought of
preschoolteacher 11:43 AM 12-04-2013
I personally hate the gift-giving obligation that comes with the holiday. We have to travel far to see our extended family, and every year I suggest we keep presents small, or just do something together, like cook a great meal and go to a movie. Every year, they spend tons on us, multiple presents, nearly all unneeded. Some extended family is in tough financial times, yet they're finding stuff for us, and it makes me feel really bad to see whatever the gift was going unused or getting donated. And then we feel like we have to spend just as much! Gift cards are seen as tacky in my family, but I would so much rather give something they'd use!
WImom 11:46 AM 12-04-2013
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
A Fig Newton????

I wouldn't have gotten into the best/worst gift thing anyways, even before an unregistered poster posted. But ya know what I wish I could somehow tactfully say to the parents? Instead of buying me anything(which I've always felt guilty about receiving) I would love it if they'd buy the daycare something new. The wear and tear on our toys, games, books, etc. is horrible and to have brand new toys for the daycare would be so cool! But how does one tactfully say that without sounding like you're expecting a gift? Course it's too late for this year anyways but....
I would love this too instead of giving me anything - unless it's a money bonus
I love when parents give card of appreciation. It just makes me happy.
CedarCreek 11:49 AM 12-04-2013
Originally Posted by preschoolteacher:
I personally hate the gift-giving obligation that comes with the holiday. We have to travel far to see our extended family, and every year I suggest we keep presents small, or just do something together, like cook a great meal and go to a movie. Every year, they spend tons on us, multiple presents, nearly all unneeded. Some extended family is in tough financial times, yet they're finding stuff for us, and it makes me feel really bad to see whatever the gift was going unused or getting donated. And then we feel like we have to spend just as much! Gift cards are seen as tacky in my family, but I would so much rather give something they'd use!
It's because of all that stuff that my family are now drawing names and putting a limit on gifts! The kids draw for each other.

It's much more fun!
Annalee 11:53 AM 12-04-2013
It's because of all that stuff that my family are now drawing names and putting a limit on gifts! The kids draw for each other.

It's much more fun!
My extended fam is so large, we now have each parent bring their own child a $10 gift. The drawing names didn't work because someone seemed to always not show up or you got someone you weren't around much and knew little bout what they liked...by bringing our own children gifts, no one is left out and all get something they need/want....works great!
Signed out for privacy 12:18 PM 12-04-2013

I actually agree. This post seems rather mean spirited and in all honestly, kinda shallow. At least they thought to get you something! As for the dollar store gifts- maybe after buying gifts for their family and friends, that was all they could afford. Would you rather they buy you an expensive gift or pay their daycare bill? I'm sort of suppressed the moderators have let this stay up, let alone post it as one of this weeks 'Hot Topics'.
hgonzalez 12:48 PM 12-04-2013
I think we have to find the humor in our jobs here, or we will go crazy. I am sure DCP's make fun of us too at times.

I had a parent buy me a package of snacks that their child liked, as a gift to me?

Also, a re-gifted gift with the old tag still on it.

I guess it is the thought that counts. It always bothers me when I go out of my way to do something for the parents, and I get no acknowledgement whatsoever. For the last 4 years, I have made a DVD of the kids singing Xmas songs as well as doing Holiday crafts and sent it home as a gift from the kids with a homemade ornament attached. Last year, I only heard a 'thank you' or even a comment from one family. Pretty rude, as it took me hours of my free time to put it together.
Great Beginnings 12:59 PM 12-04-2013
Best Gift I ever got was actually not a Christmas gift. It was a wedding gift. This family had just started with me a month before my wedding so they were not invited as things were already paid and settled and it seemed awkward since I didn't really know them. I took two weeks off for my Honeymoon and the last day of work the parents gave me an envelop with a Wedding card and money equal to the 2 weeks pay. She said I deserved a paid vacation for all I do.

For Christmas though I always receive wonderful gifts. One mom and I share a love for wine and go on wine tours together. Every year she gives me a bottle of my favorite wine, wine glasses and gift cards to dinner.

I don't really have a worst gift because my parents either give wonderful gifts or I don't get anything at all. I do agree that I don't care for the homemade children's items because I already feel obligated enough to hang my childrens things and there is only so much room for that kind of thing lol!
Meeko 01:03 PM 12-04-2013
"It's the thought that counts" has been brought up several times.

EXACTLY.

I have been at this job for many, many years now. I have received extravagant gifts and no gifts and everything in between.

But in a drawer in my bedroom are the things I treasure most. Notes/cards/letters that were written from the heart from appreciative daycare parents.

Some came with expensive gifts attached and some came on their own. I don't care a hoot about what they came with. The gifts are mostly all gone/spent/eaten/broken/replaced etc.

But I keep the cards and notes. Because they actually MEAN something to me.
TwinKristi 01:08 PM 12-04-2013
This thread is so silly now... Sheesh! People are so uptight today!! Calm down and take it for what it is!!

Best: $100 cash

Worst: not even a "Merry Christmas" or "thank you"... I had 3 families last year (first year opened) and only 1 got me a gift or said anything other than bye!

I'm not one to complain but I really don't think some of the parents get it sometimes. While I didn't always buy my DCP a fancy gift, I always got her something with a little thought! I didn't have much money and gift cards didn't exist then. I don't even remember really but I know I did and often got her kids something small as well.
crazydaycarelady 01:22 PM 12-04-2013
Originally Posted by :
As for the dollar store gifts- maybe after buying gifts for their family and friends, that was all they could afford. Would you rather they buy you an expensive gift or pay their daycare bill?
The dollar store gift I got was on the heels of me watching their 2yo for 10 days 24/7 while they went on a cruise. Also, after I committed, my hubby ended up having to go to New Orleans with his guard unit after the hurricane AND our closing on our house happened so I had to move my family and house and the dc alone. But I still kept my commitment to watch her. The $1 gift felt like a slap in the face after that. A card with a thank you would have been better.

This thread was supposed to be for fun - a little job humor - but some people are too deep to get into it I guess.
TwinKristi 01:27 PM 12-04-2013
The dollar store gift I got was on the heels of me watching their 2yo for 10 days 24/7 while they went on a cruise. Also, after I committed, my hubby ended up having to go to New Orleans with his guard unit after the hurricane AND our closing on our house happened so I had to move my family and house and the dc alone. But I still kept my commitment to watch her. The $1 gift felt like a slap in the face after that. A card with a thank you would have been better.

This thread was supposed to be for fun - a little job humor - but some people are too deep to get into it I guess.
No kidding huh? It's like no matter what you say someone will find a way to spoil it!
preschoolteacher 01:35 PM 12-04-2013
I personally wasn't bothered at all by this thread. I don't think any of the providers are being mean-spirited with their comments about bad gifts. I didn't hear anyone say they wanted something expensive... just that it was insulting to be given something without thought. I have to agree that some of the gifts listed here didn't seem to have much thought put into them.

We do the most important job but daycare providers are almost always grossly underpaid and undervalued in our society. So on Christmas, which is the one time of the year we are meant to express our gratitude and appreciation to the important people in our lives, daycare providers end up getting a "eh, whatever I had laying around gift," certainly seems insulting. I personally would love a thank you note over a gift like that. Like most others here, I also don't expect to get anything expensive at all.

Also, the other posts on this board show how much thought providers are putting into making Christmas fun for the kids. The talk about cool Christmas projects and activities started immediately after November. I think part of the reason the "bad presents" are so hurtful is because they are so out-of-proportion to the amount of thought and consideration many providers put into making the holiday special for the kids.

I thought it was entertaining to read. Some days in this job, posts like this are exactly what I need.
spud912 01:55 PM 12-04-2013
I don't care if someone got me something or not. Some people just do not think along the same lines as I do. It drives my dh batty that I pour so much into thinking of others when many never "return" any favors to me. To me, what makes me feel good is that those people know I was thinking of them.

Best gift:
Any gift, no matter how small or insignificant. Even if it took no thought to put together and came from the contents between couch cushions, it shows that the person at least had me in their thoughts. Oh, and I LOVE the sentimental gifts, including handmade ornaments. I love my mom's Christmas tree because it's filled with handmade ornaments!

Worst gift:
A lack of respect for me at any point. The little things matter to me. For example, a dc parent who pays late, bounces a check or picks up their child late.
MotherNature 03:23 PM 12-04-2013

originalkat 03:42 PM 12-04-2013
Really? In my opinion, a $1, tacky gift shows exactly the thought that went into it. It says "I HAVE to get you something, but I don't WANT to, because I don't think you are worth it". It really DOES hurt to have someone give you a gift like that. It doesn't bother me a bit to get NO gift, but getting a gift that says "this is an obligation, not a heartfelt *I appreciate you*" just plain sucks.

My own provider, when I used one, received a week's pay (and I couldn't afford it, but knew she DESERVED it-I consider that just to be a part of hiring her to give her a bonus, the same way I do for my hair stylist).
Perfect! Couldn't have said it better myself!
Scout 03:55 PM 12-04-2013
Originally Posted by Signed out for privacy:
I actually agree. This post seems rather mean spirited and in all honestly, kinda shallow. At least they thought to get you something! As for the dollar store gifts- maybe after buying gifts for their family and friends, that was all they could afford. Would you rather they buy you an expensive gift or pay their daycare bill? I'm sort of suppressed the moderators have let this stay up, let alone post it as one of this weeks 'Hot Topics'.
me too. One of my parents sent me a text on Thanksgiving that said "Happy Thanksgiving, We love you!" and this meant more to me than any gift she could buy me during the holidays. I think Christmas is for kids and so I don't mind if I get anything. Half of the time dh and I don't exchange gifts and that's fine with me. This bothers me almost as much as the threads that sound like we could raise people's kids better...
KidGrind 04:04 PM 12-04-2013
I don’t view this post as mean spirited. The OP just is sharing her experience. It may not be to everyone’s liking.

I don’t want a gift out of obligation. I don’t want a gift at all from my DCPs.

Yet, if they think about me on a holiday. Whether text, photo, bonus or food I am most thankful.

I don’t feel the need to be dishonest here:

If I received an oven mitt from a DCP, I’d think, “A thank you would’ve be better.” I’ll also add if DCP said, “Little Apple of my Universe saw this & wanted to get it for you.” I’d chuckle. And make sure DCK noticed me using it during meal times.
MotherNature 04:04 PM 12-04-2013
Heh- the fig newton is cracking me up. Aww... As well as the nightlights for imaginary children. Weird. I haven't gotten any gifts as a provider yet. Last Xmas was my first year in business. I opened in Sept & I only had one child. The mom did pay me a few hundred dollars toward the thousand she was in arrears... but that's not a gift. I got him a small stocking w/ an ornament of a robot. He was super into robots and some candy. They didn't even really say thanks. I was apparently a desperate sucker, because I let them stay around for 6 more months until the kid just got too violent & uncontrollable. I love my families now & am looking forward to getting a lttle something for the kids this year. I know they'll at least say Merry Christmas. If they get me a little something, awesome, but I'm not expecting anything.
Lorri 04:31 PM 12-04-2013
Worse gift is nothing at all. It doesn't take much to make me a card. Best gift ever was the year I got diagnose with breast cancer and all of my parent got together and got me a 300 dollar Visa card for all of my gas, I cried like a baby
MissAnn 04:32 PM 12-04-2013
Originally Posted by MotherNature:
Heh- the fig newton is cracking me up. Aww... As well as the nightlights for imaginary children. Weird. I haven't gotten any gifts as a provider yet. Last Xmas was my first year in business. I opened in Sept & I only had one child. The mom did pay me a few hundred dollars toward the thousand she was in arrears... but that's not a gift. I got him a small stocking w/ an ornament of a robot. He was super into robots and some candy. They didn't even really say thanks. I was apparently a desperate sucker, because I let them stay around for 6 more months until the kid just got too violent & uncontrollable. I love my families now & am looking forward to getting a lttle something for the kids this year. I know they'll at least say Merry Christmas. If they get me a little something, awesome, but I'm not expecting anything.
The fig newton was wrapped and the kid and mom watched me open it. The kid was super excited. Talk about being on the spot. Frankly for years I have said.....how can people stand fig newtons.
EchoMom 05:01 PM 12-04-2013
I'm shocked that this thread has become controversial in any way. I wish all the drama were deleted out of it. It's a perfectly silly, lighthearted break the ice game. Geesh. It's meant to be funny, and it is- some of these bad gifts have been ridiculous. Which reminds me of White Elephant parties (Oh, no those parties must be SOOOOOOOO offensive... Geesh). Where people "regift" and "stick" other people with their bad gifts. Funny; silly.

I actually prefer to get no gift at all. I don't even need a thank you or anything like that. All I want is for families to be respectful, pay me, send me sweet kids, and speak well of me to others. I don't want any gifts because I don't want that kind of a warm personal friendly chatty relationship with parents. I got too cozy, chummy, friendly with them before when I first started and it backfired and I got burned several times in that first crop of families. I don't want to be friends or a second family. I don't need to be friends with the parents. I prefer it when they don't know anything about my personal life and I don't really want to know the details of theirs either. It all gets too muddled and them makes problems when I have to be the bad guy sometimes or give a fee or term.

Although, I am CURIOUS who WILL get a gift of any kind. I just wonder who will think of it and who won't. And of course, it is NICE when I've been given sweet gifts, but I would prefer they not at all and I'm not hurt or offended if they don't do anything at all.

Best gift: $50 gift card to Panera (Because it was SO generous and thoughtful!)

Best gift: Flowers and dark chocolate bar (I hate dark chocolate and actually spit it out, it was gross. But I know it was the kind of stuff this family DID like, so it was totally a sweet thought).

Worst gift: $50 gift card to movie theater. LOL I know, sounds like a best gift right? I only say worst because it made a fight between my DH and I. I don't care to go to the movies and so I gave it to my DH to use because he does like to go to movies but it's expensive. But it backfired because then he was upset I wouldn't go with him and he wanted to see a 3 hour movie and I didn't want to go and he didn't want to go alone, ah! Conflict over a GIFT. It was a SWEET thought from the family, but actually made stress. So I would prefer to have not gotten it at all.
Shell 05:29 PM 12-04-2013
Originally Posted by preschoolteacher:
I personally wasn't bothered at all by this thread. I don't think any of the providers are being mean-spirited with their comments about bad gifts. I didn't hear anyone say they wanted something expensive... just that it was insulting to be given something without thought. I have to agree that some of the gifts listed here didn't seem to have much thought put into them.

We do the most important job but daycare providers are almost always grossly underpaid and undervalued in our society. So on Christmas, which is the one time of the year we are meant to express our gratitude and appreciation to the important people in our lives, daycare providers end up getting a "eh, whatever I had laying around gift," certainly seems insulting. I personally would love a thank you note over a gift like that. Like most others here, I also don't expect to get anything expensive at all.

Also, the other posts on this board show how much thought providers are putting into making Christmas fun for the kids. The talk about cool Christmas projects and activities started immediately after November. I think part of the reason the "bad presents" are so hurtful is because they are so out-of-proportion to the amount of thought and consideration many providers put into making the holiday special for the kids.

I thought it was entertaining to read. Some days in this job, posts like this are exactly what I need.
Well said!
Sunchimes 05:59 PM 12-04-2013
I've only been in business for 2 Christmas seasons (this will be my 3rd). I've received a total of 1 Christmas gift. It was a very nice one-I had complimented one of my DCMs perfume, and she gave me a bottle for Christmas. One mom gave me a turkey at Thanksgiving this year. However, they are wonderful about donating things through the year. I've been given a slide, some outdoor toys, indoor toys, craft things, reams of white typing paper, etc. So, I think that even if I don't get a Christmas gift, I'll still have felt appreciated.
saved4always 06:21 PM 12-04-2013
Best: A week's pay...I had 2 families who did this....I loved them. I usually got great gifts from my dcp's. I had one who knew what stores were my favorite and would get me a $25 gift card for that store. The gifts usually came with cards telling how much they appreciated me, too. I still have many of those cards.

Worst: Body butter that was not sealed and I suspect may have been sampled before it got to me.... I think it may have been a rejected teacher's gift as the giver was a teacher. It did come with a nice note, though .
Hunni Bee 07:00 PM 12-04-2013
Honestly, I've never gotten a gift (for like Christmas or my birthday) that I really "wanted". Most gifts people give me are generic stuff (scarves, gloves, lotion) or just wrong (for Christmas and my birthday last year, SO bought me a total of three pairs of shoes in the wrong sizes)

So its ALWAYS the thought that counts for me. Even if its obviously a regift, if i can tell the person looked at it and said "I really think she might like that" that's what counts. Whether I use it every day or never.

Christmas gifts are a HUGE thing at my job. We serve a very well-off demographic. We get lots of gift cards. I was very close with my parents last year, so I got more heartfelt gifts. One of my favorite families gave me a really pretty tree ornament, and the joy on the little guys face when showed him a picture of my Christmas tree with his ornament front and center was an even better gift.

My families this year are more "i pay you good money to take care of my kid" so I expect a lot of Starbucks cards or nothing. But its all good.
Lyss 08:03 PM 12-04-2013
Best gift: $200 and a super sweet card!!!!

Worst gift: 2 pairs of scissors <---DH who also thought he nailed it on that one
Josiegirl 03:00 AM 12-05-2013
I agree with those that said they couldn't understand the direction this thread took. I expected it but don't get it. It's just for fun and it's not like we'd ever go tell dcps to their face! Believe me, we appreciate getting paid, being on time, knowing and following our rules and getting good referrals from our dcps more than a gift that's usually forgotten 6 months later. I do appreciate any and all acts of kindness but do appreciate the gift of a great dcp more than any of that. And I keep each and every card/note in each child's folder.

I've always been uncomfortable with the whole gift scenario anyways. With some people it turns into an obligation or oneupmanship. Feelings get hurt all too easily or items get shelved/regifted/hidden. Even my sister makes me crazy even though I love her dearly. If I ever give her a gift she feels like she HAS to run out and give me something, even if I got it for her for no reason.

I remember getting my dh a stereo for Christmas one year. He told me he would have rather had money to go golfing with. I was so hurt by his comment.
sugar buzz 06:24 AM 12-05-2013
I student taught at a daycare center for families who were "at-risk." One Christmas, a student brought three pre-packaged, cellophane wrapped baskets filled with treats. One for each of the lead teachers and myself. After we opened them, he said: "Do you like the gifts my mom got you? She shoplifted them from WalMart." Yeah...I'll never forget that gift!!!!
Nellie 07:21 AM 12-05-2013
For some reason I get lots of framed pictures of DC kids and/or their family. I have children of my own that I don't have nearly enough pictures of on the wall. I don't have a picture of the last any where in the house!!
I have TONS of pictures of DC kids from pictures I take on my own and I love there kids, but I wonder if they really expect me to hang these pictures. The frames are nice. I am going to be using them, sometime in the future.
Brooksie 07:23 AM 12-05-2013
I would say the time that someone gave dd a present. It was a cup, plate and bowl hello kitty set that had clearly been opened and the cup was missing out of it.
Shell 07:31 AM 12-05-2013
Originally Posted by sugar buzz:
I student taught at a daycare center for families who were "at-risk." One Christmas, a student brought three pre-packaged, cellophane wrapped baskets filled with treats. One for each of the lead teachers and myself. After we opened them, he said: "Do you like the gifts my mom got you? She shoplifted them from WalMart." Yeah...I'll never forget that gift!!!!
I guess it was nice she thought of you???
sharlan 10:11 AM 12-05-2013
I can honestly say that I never received a truly "bad" gift. Some I appreciated more than others, but I considered the thought.

A father confessed to me last year that he really didn't have an idea of what to get me. He ended up buying me a throw blanket. Ok, I have quite a few, but that's ok. His daughter uses it every day for nap time.

I am thankful and appreciative of gifts, I am never offended about no gift.

I enjoy pics of the kids. I have some around my house. I have one wall that is dedicated to one brother and sister. Years ago I had a large collage frame that I would switch out pics of the daycare kids as they grew.
melilley 10:19 AM 12-05-2013
Originally Posted by sugar buzz:
That would be hard to forget!
Crazy8 10:40 AM 12-05-2013
Originally Posted by EchoMom:
I'm shocked that this thread has become controversial in any way. I wish all the drama were deleted out of it. It's a perfectly silly, lighthearted break the ice game. Geesh. It's meant to be funny, and it is- some of these bad gifts have been ridiculous.
This is why I rarely even visit here anymore. God forbid you aren't all sunshine and rainbows all the time about your job as a daycare provider all the time - you are suddenly a horrible, materialistic provider. And "off topic"??? hello, this is a topic on daycare families - just like "what craft are you doing with dck's?", "what should I give my dcf's for xmas?", "omg, can't believe what this dcm did today"etc. Are those all off topic??
cheerfuldom 10:45 AM 12-05-2013
Originally Posted by Brooksie:
I would say the time that someone gave dd a present. It was a cup, plate and bowl hello kitty set that had clearly been opened and the cup was missing out of it.
see that is the kind of gift that is annoying to me. People are saying "its the thought that counts" but what exactly is a person supposed to think when you opened a package, took out what you/your kid wanted, and then gave the leftover to your daycare provider? It doesn't seem like there was much thought or appreciation or respect put into that gift......
sharlan 11:05 AM 12-05-2013
Originally Posted by Crazy8:
This is why I rarely even visit here anymore. God forbid you aren't all sunshine and rainbows all the time about your job as a daycare provider all the time - you are suddenly a horrible, materialistic provider. And "off topic"??? hello, this is a topic on daycare families - just like "what craft are you doing with dck's?", "what should I give my dcf's for xmas?", "omg, can't believe what this dcm did today"etc. Are those all off topic??
I don't really find this to be true.
dingledine 01:12 PM 12-05-2013
When I opened my daycare a bit over a year ago, I didn't realize that people gave gifts. I know a friend of mine gives an extra week, to her provider. I was surprised. I didn't realize this. I sure never gave my provider anything... not that I could have afforded it.

Last year I got no gifts, and I might, or might not this year for Christmas. On the other hand, one mom has brought me a starbucks drink twice, and two times she gave me a gift card, for various reasons. Another parent once gave me a big box of chocolate from their country of Finland, and one other one, got me a plant. Not for Christmas, none of these... just because. I always think it is super sweet.
JoseyJo 01:15 PM 12-05-2013
Originally Posted by Nellie:
For some reason I get lots of framed pictures of DC kids and/or their family. I have children of my own that I don't have nearly enough pictures of on the wall. I don't have a picture of the last any where in the house!!
I have TONS of pictures of DC kids from pictures I take on my own and I love there kids, but I wonder if they really expect me to hang these pictures. The frames are nice. I am going to be using them, sometime in the future.

I also had a family who gave us 2-3 poses of their child at least 3 times a year. Not framed though
JoseyJo 01:18 PM 12-05-2013
Originally Posted by dingledine:
When I opened my daycare a bit over a year ago, I didn't realize that people gave gifts. I know a friend of mine gives an extra week, to her provider. I was surprised. I didn't realize this. I sure never gave my provider anything... not that I could have afforded it.

Last year I got no gifts, and I might, or might not this year for Christmas. On the other hand, one mom has brought me a starbucks drink twice, and two times she gave me a gift card, for various reasons. Another parent once gave me a big box of chocolate from their country of Finland, and one other one, got me a plant. Not for Christmas, none of these... just because. I always think it is super sweet.
I also never gave my provider a present/bonus at xmas!

When we first started 5 years ago we didn't get any present at xmas. The 2nd year we got a gift card from one family, next year 2 families gave a bonus or present, 3rd year 4 families, and last year all but 1 family gave us a gift card or bonus I am always surprised and I wouldn't feel bad if we didn't get one.

I do think I would be at a dollar store present though (unless it was from the child)- rather not have anything than a pity present
Sunchimes 01:27 PM 12-05-2013
The funny things from family reminded me of one. My uncle married a woman that didn't like his family (50 years ago). One Christmas she gave me a huge plastic bowl. Huge, like 18" in diameter, no lid. I was in high school, what was I going to do with a plastic bowl? Almost 50 years later, we still joke about giving someone a plastic bowl for Christmas.
Tags:forum cycle, gifts, presents
1 2 
Reply Up