Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Need Help With a Letter Please
CountryRoads 10:56 AM 01-13-2020
This is a little early to post, but it was on my mind and need help with wording please

A little background - I allowed dcf to drop off early and pick up late (before I open and after I close - at no extra charge) for the past 2 years when dcm schedule changes in May. It was only supposed to be as NEEDED. Silly me. I got taken advantage of and dcm was dropping off early and picking up late when dcd was home and more than capable of dropping-off/picking up his child - but just didn't want to. Dcm would also show up before opening on days that I wasn't expecting her early, so that was nice I also ended up taking dcg to a mom event at my son's school with us because I thought she needed care. Nope, dcd was home the whole time. Incidents like this happened several times.

Needless to say, I will not be allowing late pick-ups this year. It was only 8-12 minutes past closing when she would pick-up, but that seemed like forever when I have dinner to make and my own family to spend time with. I'm okay with the early drop-offs as long as it's approved before hand.

Any advice on a professionally worded letter? Should I explain that I have my own family and things to do after work and that's why it's no longer an option? I almost feel like I need to give a reason so they are more understanding and aren't wondering why I'm taking that option away from them this year.
Cat Herder 11:03 AM 01-13-2020
Policies are easier to enforce when you do it consistently. If you are not willing to enforce them then do not have them.

Sounds like it is time for a new contract, to me. One that you enforce.
CountryRoads 11:14 AM 01-13-2020
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
Policies are easier to enforce when you do it consistently. If you are not willing to enforce them then do not have them.

Sounds like it is time for a new contract, to me. One that you enforce.
I'm usually very good at enforcing my policies. I was just trying to be kind and help this family since it was only supposed to be an occasional thing. It was a lesson learned.
Blackcat31 11:21 AM 01-13-2020
Originally Posted by CountryRoads:
This is a little early to post, but it was on my mind and need help with wording please

A little background - I allowed dcf to drop off early and pick up late (before I open and after I close - at no extra charge) for the past 2 years when dcm schedule changes in May. It was only supposed to be as NEEDED. Silly me. I got taken advantage of and dcm was dropping off early and picking up late when dcd was home and more than capable of dropping-off/picking up his child - but just didn't want to. Dcm would also show up before opening on days that I wasn't expecting her early, so that was nice I also ended up taking dcg to a mom event at my son's school with us because I thought she needed care. Nope, dcd was home the whole time. Incidents like this happened several times.

Needless to say, I will not be allowing late pick-ups this year. It was only 8-12 minutes past closing when she would pick-up, but that seemed like forever when I have dinner to make and my own family to spend time with. I'm okay with the early drop-offs as long as it's approved before hand.

Any advice on a professionally worded letter? Should I explain that I have my own family and things to do after work and that's why it's no longer an option? I almost feel like I need to give a reason so they are more understanding and aren't wondering why I'm taking that option away from them this year.
I wouldn't even go into any type of detail as to why you can or can't accommodate and simply adopt the attitude of "just because I did, doesn't mean I always can"

Tell the parent;

Dear DCP

As of Monday, January 13, 2020 I will no longer be able to accommodate early opening or late closing. Please make sure you arrive at or AFTER 7:30 a.m. and BEFORE 5:00 p.m.

Early arrivals will not be accommodated and fees will apply to any late pick ups. Thank you for your adherence to these policies.

Signed

Daycare Provider That's Tired of Being Taken Advantage of

If the parent continues to ask why, just continue to say "It no longer works for me" or "I am no longer able to accommodate." (DON'T apologize for it either )
CountryRoads 11:24 AM 01-13-2020
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I wouldn't even go into any type of detail as to why you can or can't accommodate and simply adopt the attitude of "just because I did, doesn't mean I always can"

Tell the parent;

Dear DCP

As of Monday, January 13, 2020 I will no longer be able to accommodate early opening or late closing. Please make sure you arrive at or AFTER 7:30 a.m. and BEFORE 5:00 p.m.

Early arrivals will not be accommodated and fees will apply to any late pick ups. Thank you for your adherence to these policies.

Signed

Daycare Provider That's Tired of Being Taken Advantage of

If the parent continues to ask why, just continue to say "It no longer works for me" or "I am no longer able to accommodate." (DON'T apologize for it either )
Thank you! That sounds easier than trying to explain it and leaves no room for negotiation
Cat Herder 11:48 AM 01-13-2020
Originally Posted by CountryRoads:
I'm usually very good at enforcing my policies. I was just trying to be kind and help this family since it was only supposed to be an occasional thing. It was a lesson learned.
I completely understand. BTDT.

My thought was that after two years it may be hard to keep them from seeing it as a contract violation on your end, a "NO" as they probably don't remember that it was extra. They may now see it as the normal, expected service and become high conflict with any changes to it.

Hopefully, it won't happen that way for you. It did go that way for me and a new contract was the solution that worked across the board.
jenboo 02:06 PM 01-13-2020
If you decide to continue early drop offs, make sure you add a hefty fee.
Ac114 04:18 PM 01-13-2020
I learned this same lesson about 2 months ago. What was supposed to be an occasional late pickup turned into 2 day, then 3 and then all 5 days. A whole 30 minutes after I closed for at no extra cost when parents were off around 4:30-5 and they weren’t coming until 6pm. I finally put my foot down and they put in their notice. At that point I didn’t care. I was taken advantage of for 2 years so good riddance. I was so relieved. So once the new year came I gave everyone new, more stringent contracts and spoke with each parent and said I will enforce all my policies and I will no longer allow early drop offs or late picks ups FOR ANY REASON. Good luck! You deserve to be respected.
CountryRoads 06:26 AM 01-14-2020
Thank you everyone for the replies!

I've decided not to allow early drop-offs either. I just had way too many issues last year and I don't want to deal with it again.

This board is a lifesaver! It's really helped me find my backbone when I need it
Tags:enforcing policies - consistency, late pickup letter
Reply Up