Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Who Is Your Sub?
Ac114 10:41 AM 03-05-2020
I know many of you ladies use your husband as your sub and don’t have any issues. How is this worded in your handbook? I’m going on 3 years now and every time I have an appt or just need to run a quick errand I am having to schedule off and not get paid. I really needed to go to the bank today and my husband was here but I can’t leave. I want to update my policy to say that my husband is my sub for instances like this. Also, do you tell your parents when you do have to run out for quick trips or appts? I have some parents working from home and others that have never ending pto so I don’t want to run into someone and feel like I have to explain myself.
Cat Herder 10:54 AM 03-05-2020
I introduce him during the interview. He usually walks around with the father's answering questions while I tour the mothers before the sit down to discuss policies (not everyone gets the sit-down, only if I intend to enroll them. ).

His background check is posted as well as his annual training certs, the same as mine. I have never had an issue.

I do tell them if I am running out for an appointment that day during drop-offs. I usually make the appointments during naptime so I can get them down to nap before I go and return before they wake.

If something came up and I needed to run out I'd send them all a quick text letting them know what time I will be back and what the kids will be doing during that time.

As far as the kids go, DH is the class favorite.
mndaysub 03:24 AM 03-24-2020
I am a daycare sub in MN at a home daycare that is licensed for 14 children infant through school age. The owner takes the summer off and leaves the state and leaves her helper in charge with me. We all have up to date training, etc. and I had never thought anything about it. Yesterday my good friend who runs her own licensed home daycare told me that my boss is actually only supposed to use 30 days a year to be away from the daycare as it’s her (my boss’s) daycare and license and not the helpers. I wasn’t aware of that and it’s really bothering me. Maybe it’s different state to state, but it just hasn’t sat right with me.
Thanks for any information you might have
Blackcat31 06:17 AM 03-24-2020
Originally Posted by mndaysub:
I am a daycare sub in MN at a home daycare that is licensed for 14 children infant through school age. The owner takes the summer off and leaves the state and leaves her helper in charge with me. We all have up to date training, etc. and I had never thought anything about it. Yesterday my good friend who runs her own licensed home daycare told me that my boss is actually only supposed to use 30 days a year to be away from the daycare as it’s her (my boss’s) daycare and license and not the helpers. I wasn’t aware of that and it’s really bothering me. Maybe it’s different state to state, but it just hasn’t sat right with me.
Thanks for any information you might have
Your friend is correct unless the "helper" is on her license and they are licensed together.

Here is the state statute for the time period in which licensed providers are able to use substitute caregivers.
https://www.revisor.mn.gov/rules/9502.0365/

It says:

9502.0365. 5. Supervision and use of substitutes.
A licensed provider must be the primary provider of care in the residence. Children in care must be supervised by a caregiver. The use of a substitute caregiver must be limited to a cumulative total of not more than 30 days in any 12-month period.
mndaysub 08:59 AM 03-24-2020
Thank you for the information! I did bring this to my boss's attention, I was not aware that the other gal who works there is also on the license, she is not on the sign that says the name of the daycare and she didn't hire me, but she is a silent partner and indeed on the license. Thankfully my boss wasn't weird about it, she said it's always good to ask and be aware of the rules.
Blackcat31 09:24 AM 03-24-2020
Thank you for the information! I did bring this to my boss's attention, I was not aware that the other gal who works there is also on the license, she is not on the sign that says the name of the daycare and she didn't hire me, but she is a silent partner and indeed on the license. Thankfully my boss wasn't weird about it, she said it's always good to ask and be aware of the rules.
Glad this was the case and glad your "boss" wasn't weird about you asking.

Since we are on the topic of rules....you called her your boss. Are you an independent contractor "sub" as in you have your own EIN and pay your own self-employment taxes or did your "boss" hire you as an employee and she withholds and pays taxes on your behalf?
mndaysub 10:51 AM 03-24-2020
I’ve almost always worked for the head start system or daycare centers. I took off personal time to take care of my elderly mother when she went through a stroke, I decided to go back to work as a sub for the first time in a large home daycare. My boss withholds and pays taxes on my behalf. I’ve only been working for her a couple months, it’s a lot different than my previous jobs. I’m thinking that I’ll go back to the head start program in the fall, it’s honestly my favorite job. I’m just too darn old to deal with babies at this stage in my life lol.
Blackcat31 11:02 AM 03-24-2020
I’ve almost always worked for the head start system or daycare centers. I took off personal time to take care of my elderly mother when she went through a stroke, I decided to go back to work as a sub for the first time in a large home daycare. My boss withholds and pays taxes on my behalf. I’ve only been working for her a couple months, it’s a lot different than my previous jobs. I’m thinking that I’ll go back to the head start program in the fall, it’s honestly my favorite job. I’m just too darn old to deal with babies at this stage in my life lol.
Glad to hear she is also paying you correctly and not doing so under the table so to speak.

I got into family child care because I hated working for Head Start. lol! I was an assistant classroom teacher/home vistor and hated every minute of it.

I couldn't imagine going back to working for someone else.

Stick around the forum.....everyone has input to add and the advice and support here is awesome no matter what capacity a provider/educator has!!
Tags:helpers, minnesota - requirements, substitute
Reply Up