Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Gosh I'd Hate To Have Another Biting Thread But...
iheartkids 10:38 AM 11-02-2011
I've had a horrible day today! I had a new family start today and my 1 year old dkb bit their daughter once and my son TWICE! I don't see it coming cause it's not happening as a defense machinism (well it does but I SEE it then and stop it!). All three times the other child's hand was just there in front of him. I feel horrible that this lil girl's first day she got bit! And now I'm worried about the rest of the week! I gave him a really "chewy" toy (he is VERY oral stimulated) that he could chew on but eventually he would just throw it down. I feel bad constantly pulling him away from the other kids while he's playing but I never know when he's going to strike anytime. At least when it's used defensively I see the anger building up and can intervene before it happens. Any suggestions on how to keep him "orally busy"????
Country Kids 10:43 AM 11-02-2011
If he is real oral would it help to have a pacifier? I know everyone is against them but if it helps him to have something constantly in his mouth maybe it would distract him from the biting.
Heidi 10:47 AM 11-02-2011
or put the teething toy on a pacifier strap?
BigMama 10:54 AM 11-02-2011
I have the same issue with my DCB (16 mos.)! He doesn't bite out of anger or frustration, he is just so oral! He approaches the whole world with an open mouth. It is so hard to try and prevent it because it isn't like an angry or frustrated bite where you can see it coming. If he just sees a hand or foot) or back or arm or my couch) he goes in for the kill! What makes it even more difficult is that he also licks and kisses everything too so sometimes I will see what I think is a bite about to happen, run across the playroom like a maniac, and he is just giving kisses. I have tried giving him a cold teether and that works for a bit. I've also been taking them all outside for longer times as he doesn't bite outdoors. Sometimes I will peel an apple and let him chow on it just to keep his mouth busy! He loves apples so he doesn't mind that he has to sit down with it.
Cat Herder 11:01 AM 11-02-2011
Divide and conquer is the only technique that has proven effective for this in my experience.

Good luck hun.
Solandia 11:14 AM 11-02-2011
My foster son(21mo) is a biter. He has been since he was 6mo. He was like a puppy, scooting around biting the furniture, shoes, toys, ankles, shoulders, fingers....all.the.time. His every waking moment. He was the first kid where I could call him "anklebiter" for real.

From 16-18mo, he would bite hard, for no reason, just because is was the right time/place/felt like it...now he still mouths people, but doesnt bite hard. He hasn't been very oral with toys for quite some time, but loves skin.

I have NEVER just allowed him to snuggle in close with his face, but he just doesn't stop. He loves to cuddle, he is a sweetheart, really. As soon has he turns his head to put his mouth on my clothes, he is down on the floor and I am walking away.

I have to have him by my side all the time, keeping the other kids inaccessible to his mouth. I have had 3 real bites with him with dck's. Not too bad. He is finally getting to the point where consequences (like the cold shoulder routine, angry face, etc) make a difference to him.
Blackcat31 12:25 PM 11-02-2011
Some cool info about biting

http://ceep.crc.uiuc.edu/poptopics/biting.html

Hope there is something in the article that may help.
Tags:biting
Reply Up