Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>O.m.g.
crazydaycarelady 03:17 PM 11-02-2012
I just went and got dcbaby up from nap. I laid her down with her blanket that is a homemade flannel blanket that had a knitted edge. It was in good condition when I washed and folded it this morning. When I picked her up the blanket came up with her so upon closer inspection - some of the knitting had come undone and there was a yard of so of yarn wrapped around her shoulder AND AROUND HER NECK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It was not tight but this is a baby that wakes up happy and quietly waits for me to come get her. Thank gosh I checked on her when I did.

I am so shook up.
daycare 03:19 PM 11-02-2012
Originally Posted by crazydaycarelady:
I just went and got dcbaby up from nap. I laid her down with her blanket that is a homemade flannel blanket that had a knitted edge. It was in good condition when I washed and folded it this morning. When I picked her up the blanket came up with her so upon closer inspection - some of the knitting had come undone and there was a yard of so of yarn wrapped around her shoulder AND AROUND HER NECK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It was not tight but this is a baby that wakes up happy and quietly waits for me to come get her. Thank gosh I checked on her when I did.

I am so shook up.
OMG that is freaking SCARY..............................................my heart is pounding for you
Lilbutterflie 03:21 PM 11-02-2012
That is a very good point about homemade blankets with crocheted or knitted edges! They look so cute, but if the baby chews on it enough, the yarn will break and baby can easily get tangled in lots of yarn.

Thanks for sharing. I am so glad it all worked out okay! I would be pretty shaken up, too!!
Breezy 03:22 PM 11-02-2012
Terrifying!!!!!!!! Holy cow!!
MarinaVanessa 03:25 PM 11-02-2012
That was always one of my fears which is why I now use sleep sacks (like nightgowns with sewn up bottoms and a zipper down the front). Even regular blankets can have the edge unsew and that could be a potential hazard.

OMG how scary for you!!
sharlan 04:17 PM 11-02-2012
How scarey for you. That blanket would be gone from my house immediately.

I need to get some type of sleep sacks for my 2 babies for the winter.
momofsix 04:27 PM 11-02-2012
Oh how scary! So thankful that you checked on her when you did!
Crystal 07:55 PM 11-02-2012
Very frightening indeed. I am sorry you had to experience that scare

I am REALLY glad you posted this though. This is an EXCELLENT example of why safe sleep practices must be practiced with infants. There should not be ANYTHING in the bed with the infant. Dress them in appropriate clothing - such as a sleep sack.....and nothing else, so there are no hazards that might cause choking, strangulation, suffocation, rebreathing carbon dioxide......no blankies, no lovies, no bumpers, NOTHING but the baby dressed appropriately for the temperature and a tightly fitting crib sheet.
Willow 08:04 PM 11-02-2012
I too wondered about age because the word baby was mentioned. I was hoping baby was more like toddler though....

I agree with Crystal, nothing in the bed with them, ever! I am so glad you checked on her when you did and that she was ok!!!

Thank you for sharing, this is a great reminder to us all to be so so careful when we put them down!
Scout 08:13 PM 11-02-2012
Wow....thank goodness you went in when u did. glad everything is ok!
crazydaycarelady 10:21 PM 11-02-2012
She will turn 1yo this month. Our regulations say one light blanket is allowed. What about toddlers? they don't make sleep sacks big enough for them do they?
littlemissmuffet 08:17 AM 11-03-2012
I use sleep sacks until 12 months. Then when I use blankets, I only use ones that are made of fabric with a simple hem around the edges. I never allow anything else in cribs or playpens for any age - I move children to a nap mat by age 2.

I so glad that you checked on baby when you did.
HappyHearts 09:02 AM 11-03-2012
Oh my gosh!! I am so very sorry, but very thankful you checked when you did.

How scary, I can only imagine how scared you were/are.
Hunni Bee 12:17 PM 11-03-2012
Originally Posted by crazydaycarelady:
She will turn 1yo this month. Our regulations say one light blanket is allowed. What about toddlers? they don't make sleep sacks big enough for them do they?
They make sleep sacks all the up to 4T/5T, I think? Definitely 3T though, because I saw it when I was searching for something else, and was too surprised that they go up that high in size.

The ones I saw were about $45, though, but they looked sturdy enough to last. Try Amazon.
Crystal 06:09 PM 11-03-2012
Footed pajamas with a zipper up the front are good alternatives to sleep sacks.
Reply Up