Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Update on Potty Mouth Child
Nikki85 06:31 AM 06-12-2015
First thank you all that gave me advice on how to handle the potty mouth child that I talked about here.

https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=76956

Well, he got better for awhile and I thought "great maybe we are making some progress".

Until one day I was picking his brother up from school and I here him call my daughter a b$%ch in the back ground! I was floored. I told him not to use those kind of words and that it's not very nice. I said it hurts peoples feelings and is very disrespectful. I put him on time out when we got back to the house and told his mother. Then I explained to my daughter that it is not okay for anyone to call her those names.

Well, his behavior continue to get worse. He was very destructive to the toys and was very mean.

The final straw is when he bit my 1 year old son! I was so mad!!!!! He is four so he knows better. I termed after that!!!!

He is going to Kindergarten next year and with his behavior I don't think he is ready. I'm not sure if the mother cares enough to help him with his behavior. They were my first set of real clients and I'm so scared to take on more families because of this situation.
Starburst 11:54 AM 06-14-2015
Originally Posted by Nikki85:
. I'm not sure if the mother cares enough to help him with his behavior. They were my first set of real clients and I'm so scared to take on more families because of this situation.
Obviously not, the child didn't just make up these words, he had to hear them from somewhere, most likely from home (either from tv or from his parents). If it's frequent chances are they aren't making enough of an effort at home to avoid those words or are paying attention to the shows/movies/ music he is exposed to. If they don't try to change it by kindergarten, the school will chew them out; maybe then they'll care.
Play Care 03:15 AM 06-15-2015
Honestly, you can't save them all. I would cut your losses and focus on getting other clients. "DCM, this child care isn't a good fit for little Stevie. My last day of care will be x. I wish you the best!"

As you've seen, when you keep troubled kids that you are unable to reach, you risk not getting "better" clients. I've had so many calls over the years from parents looking for new day care because their current provider has troubled kids that she insists on keeping even though the child is beyond her. You can move kids along in a professional, compassionate way. And it's best to do it before it gets ugly (ie: they start biting babies! )
Josiegirl 03:24 AM 06-15-2015
I agree. As bad as I feel letting a child go, I'd feel awful if they seriously hurt another child or everyone caught on to the bad language, which is so easily done.
And the dynamics between your group just might not be working.
Reply Up