Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>shoes outside
mamamanda 07:04 AM 07-01-2015
I have the kids take their shoes off when they play in our ball pit, but sometimes its hard to keep track of getting them back on since the kids are in & out of it all day. Plus shoes are always getting muddy from our "dig site" I made for the construction vehicles in part of the old garden. I was thinking of providing each of the kids with a pair of dollar store crocks to wear outside leave at daycare. That way they would slip on & off easily, no socks to deal with, & if they get muddy I can leave them on the deck when we go in & hose them off at the end of the day. Anyway else do this? Pros or cons I'm not thinking of?
Blackcat31 07:32 AM 07-01-2015
Originally Posted by mamamanda:
I have the kids take their shoes off when they play in our ball pit, but sometimes its hard to keep track of getting them back on since the kids are in & out of it all day. Plus shoes are always getting muddy from our "dig site" I made for the construction vehicles in part of the old garden. I was thinking of providing each of the kids with a pair of dollar store crocks to wear outside leave at daycare. That way they would slip on & off easily, no socks to deal with, & if they get muddy I can leave them on the deck when we go in & hose them off at the end of the day. Anyway else do this? Pros or cons I'm not thinking of?
I have no experience with this as I require shoes and socks at all times when outdoors with the exception of water shoes during water play.

I don't allow bare feet, flip flops, Crocs or any type of open toed shoes.

Personally, I wouldn't buy shoes for the kids to wear.... One, I don't want to spend my money on something like that and two because I think shoes are like underwear... they shouldn't be shared.

There are several providers that I know of that do provide shoes and other outdoor clothing for the kids just to make sure they have it. If it works....
finsup 07:59 AM 07-01-2015
I only allow closed toe shoes or sandals. Way too many accidents with crocs, flip flops etc. I have a car floor mat next to my door, when kids get here they take off their shoes and put them there. When we come in from outside, they all stop and take their shoes off and put them on the mat. If they're really muddy I'll move them outside in the sun until I can clap the mud off. I may consider purchasing mud boots for the dig site instead and just having a place they can change from their shoes to boots outside and switch back. Extra socks, oh yeah, I have a million of those lol. If you wanted to provide extra shoes, I would either ask parents to provide an extra pair of purchase sneakers instead. They would be yard sale/good will etc finds, but they'd offer good support
daycarediva 09:50 AM 07-01-2015
I provide flip flops with the heel strap (Michaels, $1.50/each) for each child enrolled every spring. They are color coordinated with the child's other items (that I supply and pass down to the next child eg. towel, blanket, pillowcase).

They get plopped in a bucket of soapy water at the end of a messy summer day and I rinse them off. No worries about ruined shoes or missing shoes. EVERYONE knows which shoes belong to which child based on color.
happymom 10:58 AM 07-01-2015
I am just a parent, but my daycare asked that we provide crocs or easy slip ons to leave at the daycare so that it makes it easy for them to go in and out and their normal shoes don't get trashed.

It must not have worked out because the following year she didn't request a pair of shoes to keep at her house.
Blackcat31 11:33 AM 07-01-2015
Originally Posted by happymom:
I am just a parent, but my daycare asked that we provide crocs or easy slip ons to leave at the daycare so that it makes it easy for them to go in and out and their normal shoes don't get trashed.

It must not have worked out because the following year she didn't request a pair of shoes to keep at her house.
not true!

As a parent, your input is invaluable to this site!!!

It is awesome to hear things we (providers in general) discuss from a parents perspective!

So no, you are not "just a parent".....YOU are what keeps all of us in business!
happymom 03:33 PM 07-01-2015
Aw thanks!

I really enjoy reading posts on this site since I found it. I'm keeping my eyes peeled for a provider near me on here, that would be really great.

That said, I was happy to provide a pair of easy slip ons for my son to use at daycare. I took them home on days I knew we could use them so I didn't have to buy two pairs.. That said, crocs are ugly as sin and my son LOVED them, it was nice that they mostly lived in daycare and I never had to try to coordinate outfits with those hideous things.
MarinaVanessa 04:10 PM 07-01-2015
I do this. A little more than this actually.

I have crocks too, rain boots and Ked's all in various sizes that I keep here. The crocks we use outside, the rainboots we use during the rainy season or in the tide pools and the Ked's are leather so they are easy to wipe but these I only use if a parent happens to forget their kids shoes (yes, it happens). I don't promote that I have any of them but for me it's easier to have them all on hand instead of hoping that a parent will provide them.

I bought many of my stock on clearance, used or parents have donated them to me after their own kids outgrew them.
Reply Up