Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Different Play Zones
mamamanda 05:03 PM 04-04-2018
Kind of thinking out loud here...we visited a children's museum recently & I was very inspired by their play area for birth-5 years. I immediately said to my husband, "This is exactly what I want my daycare to look like. It's perfect." Everything was divided into zones so a music room, climbing area, sand area, construction zone, art/create zone, & a baby zone with mirrors, etc.

Unfortunately we just don't have the space to create this in our home. That's just the reality. But I was thinking about creating something similar outside. I'd like for us to spend most of our time outdoors when it's warm out. We have a nice wooden playground with sand pit underneath, & a small ball pit. But I was thinking about adding in an outdoor musical area, a designated art space, maybe a tent with books for calm reading.

Would that be overdoing it? I know kids need freedom to run & play, but I feel like mine always get bored outside. Do you think play zones would be a fun addition, or just a distraction from good old fashioned outdoor play?
flying_babyb 05:31 PM 04-04-2018
Oh a music area! The center Im working at is adding a music area this year. We're creating ours with pots and pans, bowls, spoons ect.
kendallina 06:19 PM 04-04-2018
I run a preschool and my outdoor area has different zones. Nothing fancy....mud kitchen, climbing area, pineneedle area with trucks/shovels/etc. They also have access to our screened in porch that has a large sand table.

In the summer I often have an art or sensory table and a water table with water wall. I've tried cozy reading areas and they rarely get used. This summer Id like to put up big chalk board outside.

We spend a lot of time outside, especially in the summer and my kids have loved all the activities. The only thing missing for me is an area for bikes, but no space for it.

ETA: my neighbors would kill me if I did a major music area outside!
redmaple 06:37 PM 04-04-2018
I keep toying with the idea of putting a bunch of these structures together:

https://www.learningandexploringthro...d-kitchen.html

Have one be a quite outdoor book nook, another an art/chalk area, nature/discovery, music, etc.
Tags:play area, playing area, sensory table, zones
Reply Up