Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Parents and Guardians Forum>Can My Child Be Expelled From Day Care, Because I Filed A Complaint!
katakarande 04:36 PM 02-08-2012
I had filed a complaint, because the day care my child goes to doesn't want to provide their license number, parents are not allowed to check on the kids in the play area, there are no parents rights posted anywhere in the facility and the stuff doesn't have first aid training. Recently we were asked to sign the exemption from immunization form, even though it doesn't apply to us. My child has all of the immunization. When I asked the director why we have to sign this paper that doesn't apply to us, she said it was just a formality, in case she gets a visit from authorities and any of the children is missing a shot. I'm sick of being treated like a fool. Whenever I ask the day care owner why the license number is not posted in the facility, she just offers to give the deposit back and find another child care in case I'm not happy with how things are at her facility. I don't feel it's fare. I don't want my child to go through the stress of getting used to a new child care, but I also need to be sure that the day care is legit. Now I'm worried that because I was, most probably, the only person who pointed out those particular problems to the day care director, she will know it was me who complained. Does she have a right just to ask us to leave after the licensing agency pays her a visit?
lilcupcakes09 05:20 PM 02-08-2012
Yes, she can certainly terminate your child whenever she wants and doesn't even have to give you an explanation. But I do have one question:

Why would you choose to keep your child in their care if you have all these issues with them??? In my personal opinion I would pull them out of care immediatley, why would you want someone caring for your child who has no first aid training??? Or if they don't require you to keep up with shots, your child could be exposed to some serious sickness, in that case they may not even care if you bring your child into care sick! exposing all the other children including yours. And as far as the Tax ID # part, she is just probably trying to avoid claiming all of the income, which is tax evasion..... I would leave asap, doesn't sound like a very safe or professional run business!
Heidi 05:21 PM 02-08-2012
:Yesm shhe has the right, but she doesn't sound like a very nice person, and I wouldn't leave my child there! I think your child would be better off going through a change than staying somewhere where she is not welcome, much less that they are not following regulations.

Is it required to have yur license posted in CA? I am in WI, and it absolutely is. Are you sure they are really licensed????
sharlan 05:28 PM 02-08-2012
Why would you want to stay in a daycare where the provider is running an illegal facility? It is in your child's best interest to move him ASAP.
Crystal 05:55 PM 02-08-2012
FYI....it is illegal for her to retaliate, so if she expels your child, with no other legitimite reason to do so, then you have a case on your hands. I would personally be looking for alternate care, because you do not want a resentful provider caring for your child.

In Cali. the provider/facility is required to have, in a visible, accessible location to parents:

facility license
parents rights poster
emergency plan
evacuation plan
pediatric first aid and cpr cards
earthquake preparedness checklist

The provider is also required to allow parents access to ALL areas in which children are allowed to be, IF their child is in care at the time.

Good luck OP.....BTW, what county/area are you in?
cheerfuldom 06:46 PM 02-08-2012
Please report AND remove your child from this daycare.
Unregistered 07:14 PM 02-08-2012
Thank to everyone for the info and your opinions! we are in LA county. I keep my child in this day care because he likes the place and I guess I got lucky to not have any child care related bad experience, it is mostly my relationships with the director getting worse, because I don't feel she respects our rights as parents, I prefer everything to be legal and feel it's important for a place like day care to obey the laws and rules. It is a relief to see that other parents feel the same way. I don't like calling and complaining. But I see that my conversations with the director didn't change the fact that she's trying to make sure the parents know as little as possible about their rights.
I already started looking for different child care. Hopefully will not make same mistakes this time. It is not easy to find a good place, especially when a kid has some food restrictions and a certain language is preferred.
Michael 07:17 PM 02-08-2012
DId you forget your loggin information? I can resend it if need be. BTW, most of the replies are from Providers that are parents and understand your feelings and the regulations.
katakarande 09:07 AM 02-09-2012
sorry, I just forgot to log in.
grandmom 02:49 PM 02-09-2012
I agree, find out if the place is licensed. I wouldn't leave my child there.

But, can I speak to the immunization issue?

As a licensed provider myself, I am required to keep these forms up to date. If a licensor comes in and ONE child is later ONE day on ONE immunization, I get written up. After "repeated" offenses, I can be fined $150 for every occurrance.

So for many many years, I required all parents to sign the exemption form, just so I wouldn't have to be responsible for the parent's job of immunizing their children.

Then, the state passed a law saying that now the parents must have their physician sign the exemption. So now it is my job to make sure every child is immunized on time, and that the parents get the form updated that day. I hate this law. I have better things to do than keep track of children's shots.
katakarande 10:06 AM 02-10-2012
Originally Posted by grandmom:
I agree, find out if the place is licensed. I wouldn't leave my child there.

But, can I speak to the immunization issue?

As a licensed provider myself, I am required to keep these forms up to date. If a licensor comes in and ONE child is later ONE day on ONE immunization, I get written up. After "repeated" offenses, I can be fined $150 for every occurrance.

So for many many years, I required all parents to sign the exemption form, just so I wouldn't have to be responsible for the parent's job of immunizing their children.

Then, the state passed a law saying that now the parents must have their physician sign the exemption. So now it is my job to make sure every child is immunized on time, and that the parents get the form updated that day. I hate this law. I have better things to do than keep track of children's shots.
I agree that it should be parents' responsibility to keep their kids immunization up-to-date. But I also noticed that when you sign the form it says that a parent would need their physicians approval, so I don't see the point of everyone signing the form. I pointed that detail out to the day care director, but she said it doesn't matter and that I don't need the doctor's signature. It's like this woman thinks I can't read and understand what is written in those forms and regulations, she always just gives me her own interpretation... which is very inaccurate.
Crystal 12:42 PM 02-10-2012
Perhaps you should let the Director know that you are very aware of the licensing regulations. You can find them here:

http://www.dss.cahwnet.gov/ord/PG240.htm
katakarande 02:54 PM 02-11-2012
Originally Posted by Crystal:
Perhaps you should let the Director know that you are very aware of the licensing regulations. You can find them here:

http://www.dss.cahwnet.gov/ord/PG240.htm
I did, about a month before I called to the licensing agency. I told her that I read all the regulations, so that I don't bother her for nothing and just to learn about parent's rights and duties in regards to day care. She got very uncomfortable, told me to just call her and ask, that there's no need to read about it. When I pointed out things her day care was missing, she just told me that if I'm not happy she would give me the deposit back, so that we can go and find a different child care. At that moment I thought that may be I'm just being a pain in the ... and if my child is happy there I should just let them run their business and stop micromanaging... the director assured me that she does everything like any other day care.
AnneCordelia 05:10 AM 02-20-2012
Of course she assured you that. But if she doesn't let parents in, doesn't post the required paperwork or provide you with the appropriate licensing info then she is NOT running like any other daycare. This sounds fishy to me.
Froreal3 11:44 AM 02-25-2012
I agree with the others. Take your child out of this place asap. If the director is ignoring issues like this, that means she is ignoring other issues. Those other issues may pertain directly to your child. You are not there during the day. Just because you haven't seen or heard anything happen that is wrong does not mean it isn't happening. It could be something as small as not enough supervision...letting the caregiver be with too many children or something. If she is giving you these red flags, you can bet your bottom dollar everything is not top notch with the care your child is receiving.
Tags:complaint, expell, risk management, terminated
Reply Up