Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Here's The Fork In The Road...
daycarediva 11:27 AM 03-23-2017
I am off tomorrow. My sub is doing her first whole day (wish her luck!)

I applied for a UPK teacher position at a center, and they hired internally for that. BUT, I got a call back for the director position.

The current director is retiring at the end of May.

I have NEVER had a desk job. I am not a 'sit down' person. AT ALL. Tomorrow I will be touring and observing classrooms, meeting the staff, and giving my thoughts about changes to the current director and the center owner.

The owner called me herself after calling licensing for a reference and looking at my website and facebook. We had an AWESOME conversation about things that could/(should?) be changed at her center. They have been operating for over 20 years, but the current director is very old school. Every classroom is a gaudy color, I saw some developmentally inappropriate practices in the 2's classroom (I was waiting in the office which is directly next to that room-not being nosy ) She was very open to my ideas and changes I would like to implement, even going so far as to offer budgeting for repainting- replacing antiquated, mostly battery operated toys (have they even been checked for a recall?) Staff development and paying for further training, offering pay increases for CDA's, etc.

It's STILL a pay cut.

My dh thinks that I'm crazy for even considering it, he thinks I am essentially giving away all of my awesome skills AND I would have to sign a one year non compete clause.

OR I could open in September and have dd/partner (start working in October)taking half of the hours and make about the same amount of money- more if I am full with the rates I expect to get.

Thoughts? Being an adult is hard!
Reply
childcaremom 11:39 AM 03-23-2017
I'm leaning towards the "you never know until you try it" type thing.

You can put in your year, and if you don't like it, go back to in home.

I guess I am not understanding what the non compete clause would be for? Like you can't have your own in home at the same time?

The one thing that comes up as a con (in my eyes) would be that if your dd needs you, you will not be at home, kwim? And did you plan to look after the grandbaby?

But then change calls out to me.....

Gah. I don't know.
Reply
Ariana 11:46 AM 03-23-2017
With your skills I am sure you would be a huge asset to them but if the pay is not good you'd have to consider the challenge of it to be fulfilling enough (which it can be!).

You could always return to home care and with your move you have to start over anyway right? Maybe give it a try for a year. They may give you a raise or it could open a door for an even better job. Who knows!
Reply
Mike 11:58 AM 03-23-2017
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
Being an adult is hard!
That's what I tell kids who are in a hurry to grow up.

Congratulations on your possible job. Sounds like a good opportunity, but you do have a big decision now.

Sit down like you love to do and make a list of pros and cons for each direction. Ask dd what she thinks. In the end, do whichever you feel would make you happiest.
Reply
CityGarden 12:29 PM 03-23-2017
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
It's STILL a pay cut.

My dh thinks that I'm crazy for even considering it, he thinks I am essentially giving away all of my awesome skills AND I would have to sign a one year non compete clause.
I would suggest you negotiate, both in terms of pay as well as the non-compete clause.

Ask them to clarify in writing what the non-compete clause covers - licensed centers as defined by X State. Specifically have them state a home daycare as defined by X state is exempt from our center's non-compete clause. I would tell them you are committed to their center however given the difference in income if something catastrophic should happen and your family needed more income you would need that as a backup option....
Reply
daycarediva 12:32 PM 03-23-2017
Originally Posted by childcaremom:
I'm leaning towards the "you never know until you try it" type thing.

You can put in your year, and if you don't like it, go back to in home.

I guess I am not understanding what the non compete clause would be for? Like you can't have your own in home at the same time?

The one thing that comes up as a con (in my eyes) would be that if your dd needs you, you will not be at home, kwim? And did you plan to look after the grandbaby?

But then change calls out to me.....

Gah. I don't know.
If I were to quit, I could not open up any type of child care facility in a 30 mile radius (this is 5 miles from my house)


and I LOVE change, which is part of dc I like.

Paperwork is the least enjoyed aspect and I'm sure this job will be loaded in it.

Grandbaby would have split time between me and dd, so yep. I would be losing hours a day at home, with the grandson.

I really wish I could operate in somewhere other than my home. That is 90% of my issue with daycare, despite it being entirely separate space. It takes UP space. It's less privacy. My family IS inconvenienced. I would buy a separate home to operate in a second if my state would allow it.

AGH! pros and cons list, here I come!

Also- the walkthrough will help me decide I'm sure.
Reply
AmyKidsCo 12:44 PM 03-23-2017
Have you been a director before? I have several director friends and their biggest source of stress isn't paperwork but staff. Cooks quit, teachers call in, quit, act immature, stir up drama, etc. I've thought about applying for a director position but don't want to deal with the staffing problems.
Reply
mommyneedsadayoff 12:45 PM 03-23-2017
Congrats on the job opportunity! Dont hate me, but I wouldnt do it It sounds like a LOT of work and unless you can negotiate higher pay, i think it may get old, fast. The other thing I have seen when providers go to another business is the BOSS aspect. Being your own boss and the supreme decision maker is a hard thing to let go of. You may see a lot of things that need changed and she may agree now, but that could change and you may not have much recourse.

I think it sounds like a fun challenge, but it all depends on where you are in your life and whether you think the change is best for you and your family. Best of luck to you!
Reply
Blackcat31 01:29 PM 03-23-2017
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
If I were to quit, I could not open up any type of child care facility in a 30 mile radius (this is 5 miles from my house)
This would be THE deciding factor for me.

I would pass.

I can't work FOR others and if I did decide to try, I NEED a back up plan and a back up plan for me would to go back to what I WAS doing prior to "trying" something new.

Kind of like a trial period....if it doesn't work out, we always leave ourselves and out. Agreeing to a 1 yr non-compete agreement is not allowing for a trial period at all.
Reply
daycarediva 01:33 PM 03-23-2017
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
This would be THE deciding factor for me.

I would pass.

I can't work FOR others and if I did decide to try, I NEED a back up plan and a back up plan for me would to go back to what I WAS doing prior to "trying" something new.

Kind of like a trial period....if it doesn't work out, we always leave ourselves and out. Agreeing to a 1 yr non-compete agreement is not allowing for a trial period at all.
That's my big concern, and something I will try to negotiate out of the contract. I mean, I'm only taking 6 kids from them. How much competition can I be from a 250 kid center?

Originally Posted by AmyKidsCo:
Have you been a director before? I have several director friends and their biggest source of stress isn't paperwork but staff. Cooks quit, teachers call in, quit, act immature, stir up drama, etc. I've thought about applying for a director position but don't want to deal with the staffing problems.
Nope. I do know several staff members personally. They have been frank about their positions, and their biggest complaints have always been the current director. She refuses to see anything wrong with her practice. Neon orange room for toddlers? Why not? Lots of plastic, cheap, battery operated toys, with a 10,000 grant? Sure. etc.

Most of the teachers, and even the assistants have been there for quite a while.

Their meals are contracted out from a service, they are delivered and heated only.
Reply
EntropyControlSpecialist 01:33 PM 03-23-2017
Originally Posted by mommyneedsadayoff:
Congrats on the job opportunity! Dont hate me, but I wouldnt do it It sounds like a LOT of work and unless you can negotiate higher pay, i think it may get old, fast. The other thing I have seen when providers go to another business is the BOSS aspect. Being your own boss and the supreme decision maker is a hard thing to let go of. You may see a lot of things that need changed and she may agree now, but that could change and you may not have much recourse.

I think it sounds like a fun challenge, but it all depends on where you are in your life and whether you think the change is best for you and your family. Best of luck to you!
I feel the same way.

Add in the non-compete clause, that you won't see your own family (grandson) as much, and that you could work LESS for the same pay (at your in home with a partner)...I would easily choose to open your in home after your move.
Reply
kendallina 06:51 PM 03-23-2017
Originally Posted by AmyKidsCo:
Have you been a director before? I have several director friends and their biggest source of stress isn't paperwork but staff. Cooks quit, teachers call in, quit, act immature, stir up drama, etc. I've thought about applying for a director position but don't want to deal with the staffing problems.
This was my line of thought as well. When I was a supervisor my biggest headache was staffing! People calling off work caused me stress because then I had to go in ratio (small center) and couldn't do any of the other 'big picture' things I wanted to do.

Make sure the owner is willing to pay for decent teachers because having the right staff is EVERYTHING!

The other question mark for me would be the one-year non compete clause...does that mean that you cannot reopen your in-home daycare within a year of quitting your job? I would renegotiate that for sure.

Good luck! It sounds like a fun opportunity! There was a LOT that I really did enjoy about being a supervisor and could see myself going back to that someday, but I live in a small town without a lot of those options.
Reply
racemom 08:08 PM 03-23-2017
On the pay cut, have you considered all the extra expenses you have as an in home? Electric, heating, wear and tear on your home. Cost of toys, equipment, food, supplies, etc.

Also, not having your home to yourself, people coming and going all the time. (This would be a big thing to me, like my privacy, but I work at a center and can't imagine have an in home program).

BUT, I would definitely try to renegotiate the non compete clause. At least make an in home daycares an exception. I can see them not wanting you to go to another center, but I never view in home as competition to centers, different clients looking for different settings.
Reply
childcaremom 03:25 AM 03-24-2017
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
This would be THE deciding factor for me.

I would pass.

I can't work FOR others and if I did decide to try, I NEED a back up plan and a back up plan for me would to go back to what I WAS doing prior to "trying" something new.

Kind of like a trial period....if it doesn't work out, we always leave ourselves and out. Agreeing to a 1 yr non-compete agreement is not allowing for a trial period at all.


Now that I know what it means.... I don't like it. I would do as you said, and try to negotiate it out. It would be a deal breaker for me.

When are you moving? This seems to align with your move and when you were planning to finish at your current location, yes?

Lots to think about. Lots of pros and cons to both. Nice to have these things to ponder, though. They can sometimes make us see our current situations in a new, positive way. (speaking from my own experiences in job hunting lately )
Reply
Josiegirl 03:36 AM 03-24-2017
We're all looking at this from our own personal angles. My problems would be:
I love working from home and having control of my own business but the isolation can be detrimental.
I hate having my home constantly overgrown with toys, diapers, baby stuff, and my backyard is nothing like I ever wanted it to be.
I have no health benefits or anything like that from being self-employed.
I don't work well with other adults(introvert here).
We do put a lot of our own money into this job but we use it for tax purposes.

There are definitely pros and cons to a decision like this for each of us and you need to figure out what's best for you and your family. Good luck with yours!!

Personally, if your dd is coming on board to be your partner in the fall, I think that sounds like a wonderful opportunity to find some relief in your current situation and it sounds like you enjoy the challenges of what you're doing right now. If burn-out doesn't feel in your future(lol) I'd check the opportunity out but probably stay with what you're doing. But that's just me.
If the privacy of your home is one of your biggest challenges, maybe find a way to fix that if you can?
Reply
daycarediva 06:30 AM 03-24-2017
We are moving in June, but I would HAVE to accept the job sooner, which is fine. It's not a huge commute for a month especially.

I LOATHE having DC in my home. LOATHE. I have a separate yard, entrance, room, bathroom (everything but a kitchen, and I WILL have a separate kitchenette when we move in addition to everything else).

I STILL hate it. Most definitely approaching burn out. From the street my home is obviously a daycare. Despite the hours and calling for a tour, people stop here at all hours. I am not closed today, but I'm off (assistant is here). We still have parents coming/going, kids here, my assistant, in/out of the kitchen, etc. The after hours texts, emails and phone calls are OUT OF THIS WORLD. I have a separate cell and I turn it off, and tell parents NOT to contact me. It doesn't stop them. One parent recently went out of his way to find and use my PERSONAL email that I gave to a former client (she sells lularoe)

^ that won't change with reduced work hours for myself, or the new home. Eg. my kids are all off at school, I won't be able to sit on my deck with a glass of wine and a book without daycare parents seeing me.

Yep- calculated income after expenses. Still a pay cut (not by much, but enough) The new job comes with 3 weeks of PTO, setting my own 36 hour work week, and a great benefits package.

I do have the option, (and dh is pushing for this one)although a more risky and expensive one- of opening my own small center. In which case I would need a loan, and it's a BIG risk. I'm a play it safe gal, don't think I could do that unless dh wasn't self employed/had steadier pay. I also just see the staff issues, the parent issues, etc all multiplied. Definitely would be working more hours, regardless. No thanks.

AHHH! I have to leave now, but I haven't slept for thinking it all over. Lots of thought- they don't want an answer immediately, so that's good.
Reply
Mike 07:30 AM 03-24-2017
I would then say, if they will either drop the non compete clause, or at least only apply it for as long as you work for them, you would probably be happier with them. Sounds to me like the biggest problem would be not being able to go back to your own business if you change your mind, and they shouldn't be able to stop that, especially because you already do it.

Now, if you were new to daycare and were to go to work for a center for a few months for practice, then go out and open your own center near them, that would be different. That's what I've had 2 people do in my home reno business. Work for me for a bit, then decide to go on their own.
Reply
Blackcat31 07:46 AM 03-24-2017
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
We are moving in June, but I would HAVE to accept the job sooner, which is fine. It's not a huge commute for a month especially.

I LOATHE having DC in my home. LOATHE. I have a separate yard, entrance, room, bathroom (everything but a kitchen, and I WILL have a separate kitchenette when we move in addition to everything else).

I STILL hate it. Most definitely approaching burn out. From the street my home is obviously a daycare. Despite the hours and calling for a tour, people stop here at all hours. I am not closed today, but I'm off (assistant is here). We still have parents coming/going, kids here, my assistant, in/out of the kitchen, etc. The after hours texts, emails and phone calls are OUT OF THIS WORLD. I have a separate cell and I turn it off, and tell parents NOT to contact me. It doesn't stop them. One parent recently went out of his way to find and use my PERSONAL email that I gave to a former client (she sells lularoe)

^ that won't change with reduced work hours for myself, or the new home. Eg. my kids are all off at school, I won't be able to sit on my deck with a glass of wine and a book without daycare parents seeing me.

Yep- calculated income after expenses. Still a pay cut (not by much, but enough) The new job comes with 3 weeks of PTO, setting my own 36 hour work week, and a great benefits package.

I do have the option, (and dh is pushing for this one)although a more risky and expensive one- of opening my own small center. In which case I would need a loan, and it's a BIG risk. I'm a play it safe gal, don't think I could do that unless dh wasn't self employed/had steadier pay. I also just see the staff issues, the parent issues, etc all multiplied. Definitely would be working more hours, regardless. No thanks.

AHHH! I have to leave now, but I haven't slept for thinking it all over. Lots of thought- they don't want an answer immediately, so that's good.
That's kind of how I look at my business. I am licensed as family care but since I operate out of a facility that no one lives in (it's a house) it is treated like a small center.

I've hired staff before but only for small amounts of time and the other times I've needed a second adult, I've used my DH or my own adult child(ren) so didn't really have staffing issues but the perks that DO come with having a separate building FAR outweigh the rest.

If I didn't have the option of operating in a completely separate space, I KNOW I would have quit in the first 3 yrs.

Some of you in home providers are just plain cray-cray!! Much respect to you!!
Reply
Mike 12:00 PM 03-24-2017
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
That's kind of how I look at my business. I am licensed as family care but since I operate out of a facility that no one lives in (it's a house) it is treated like a small center.

I've hired staff before but only for small amounts of time and the other times I've needed a second adult, I've used my DH or my own adult child(ren) so didn't really have staffing issues but the perks that DO come with having a separate building FAR outweigh the rest.

If I didn't have the option of operating in a completely separate space, I KNOW I would have quit in the first 3 yrs.

Some of you in home providers are just plain cray-cray!! Much respect to you!!

I bet many of you do wish you could keep daycare and family more separate. The fact that I don't have a family will be my advantage. No separation needed. I didn't plan on staying single all my life, but there are advantages.
Reply
e.j. 12:51 PM 03-24-2017
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
I really wish I could operate in somewhere other than my home. That is 90% of my issue with daycare, despite it being entirely separate space. It takes UP space. It's less privacy. My family IS inconvenienced. I would buy a separate home to operate in a second if my state would allow it.
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
I LOATHE having DC in my home. LOATHE. I have a separate yard, entrance, room, bathroom (everything but a kitchen, and I WILL have a separate kitchenette when we move in addition to everything else).

I STILL hate it. Most definitely approaching burn out. From the street my home is obviously a daycare. Despite the hours and calling for a tour, people stop here at all hours. I am not closed today, but I'm off (assistant is here). We still have parents coming/going, kids here, my assistant, in/out of the kitchen, etc. The after hours texts, emails and phone calls are OUT OF THIS WORLD. I have a separate cell and I turn it off, and tell parents NOT to contact me. It doesn't stop them. One parent recently went out of his way to find and use my PERSONAL email that I gave to a former client
I think you have strong feelings about doing day care out of your home. (I totally get it; some days, I feel the same way.) You have an opportunity to change that for yourself. They may be willing to bring you in for a little more money because of your reputation in the area and because of your experience. If they won't consider dropping the non-compete clause entirely, maybe they'll meet you in the middle somewhere. You could agree not to open a center within a year of leaving them but reserve the right to go back to doing home day care if it doesn't work out. Maybe that would be enough to calm their fear of competition and reassure you that you have the option to return to family day care if the new job doesn't work out?
Reply
Mom2Two 12:58 PM 03-24-2017
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
My dh thinks that I'm crazy for even considering it, he thinks I am essentially giving away all of my awesome skills AND I would have to sign a one year non compete clause.

OR I could open in September and have dd/partner (start working in October)taking half of the hours and make about the same amount of money- more if I am full with the rates I expect to get.

Thoughts? Being an adult is hard!
Is the one year non-compete from first day of hire or after you leave? My guess would be that it's a year after you quit the center.

Given how much you've put into learning your trade as a family provider, I don't know that I'd be hasty in signing that away.

On the other hand, maybe you'd like the steady job and hours. Does it actually have steady hours or are you the one who puts out fires late in the day?
Reply
e.j. 01:05 PM 03-24-2017
Originally Posted by Mike:

I bet many of you do wish you could keep daycare and family more separate.
Almost every day! I have a large room devoted to the day care but it would be so much easier if I had a separate house.
Reply
Blackcat31 01:13 PM 03-24-2017
Originally Posted by Mike:

I bet many of you do wish you could keep daycare and family more separate. The fact that I don't have a family will be my advantage. No separation needed. I didn't plan on staying single all my life, but there are advantages.
It was a perk when it came to family life. Especially when my own kids were younger but honestly it is more about separation from work and non-work time.

I could NOT imagine being closed or on vacation AT WORK. kwim? I would feel like I am obligated to get something done (we all know daycare work is never done...) so NOT physically being at work helps more than anyone probably realizes.

So family or not, no one wants to be (or should have to be) tied to their work environment 24/7.
Reply
Mike 02:45 PM 03-24-2017
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
It was a perk when it came to family life. Especially when my own kids were younger but honestly it is more about separation from work and non-work time.

I could NOT imagine being closed or on vacation AT WORK. kwim? I would feel like I am obligated to get something done (we all know daycare work is never done...) so NOT physically being at work helps more than anyone probably realizes.

So family or not, no one wants to be (or should have to be) tied to their work environment 24/7.
Good point. My home reno business is at other peoples houses. When I go home, I'm done that, but I also have a website hosting business. It's pretty much dead, but done from home, so I'm never away from that one, unless I'm out doing reno work. Even single, it would actually be nice to run business away from home.
Reply
daycarediva 05:48 AM 03-27-2017
We are in negotiation. I would like to set my own hours 6-2:30 (I'll open at 6, if the late teacher closes at 6) ONE Saturday tour a month for 2 hours MAX (the current director donates a LOT of personal time, since she is older and has no children/grandchildren near by)

They must drop the non compete. It is for one year AFTER I leave, so even if I didn't like it, I couldn't leave after a year and open up a center or an in home. I won't do an entire year of limbo.

The budget for remodeling (minor) and upgrades (not so minor) will be in the contract. Along with the pay increases for staff, and further increases down the road-education and experience dependent. Well paid, happy staff=better care, parent happiness, etc.

They MUST be reinspected after renovations and pass with flying colors. There were definite licensing violations yesterday (nothing serious, but that's not how I operate). I pulled 4 student binders, and 3/4 had missing or expired paperwork. NOT acceptable.

They must raise the salary a bit, it's just...low balled. There are times in winter Dec-Feb usually we get by on just my income alone/savings if work is slow for dh (since he still has payroll) and that would be a little tight.

Also- the DAP thing. You could see the poor 2's teacher breathe a visible sigh of relief when I asked her why the kids are doing worksheets (well, why she was TRYING to get them to do them/doing them for them/hand over hand). The current director told her that parents want a 'receipt of learning'. NO. JUST NO.

Met a few parents- spoke to them about concerns. Most aligned with mine (one just wanted extended hours and lower rates- to which I told the owner- PASS.) A gradual rate increase was already in my idea sheet. They are on the VERY low end of center market rates. I actually charge more per child NOW at my home.

So, we will see!
Reply
Josiegirl 10:43 AM 03-27-2017
To be honest, it sounds like they'd be extremely lucky to have you!!! You have many wonderful changes already in your mind for them and the teachers, as well. But just remember to do what is the best for you and your family!!
Reply
CityGarden 11:09 AM 03-27-2017
Good for you for realizing your value and going in to negotiate.
Reply
daycarediva 11:35 AM 03-27-2017
I'm actually kind of excited about the prospect of being able to do what I do- on a much larger scale. I actually enjoy my job now, and offering play based, DAP to my crew I see the difference. Of course, this would make a larger impact number wise. I'm thinking parent education flyers, incorporating the cafeteria more for entire-center activities, (right now it's EMPTY and locked- the kids eat in their classrooms) more outside play, more sensory activities.

It's in their hands now. I gave them a counter I could easily live with. We will see.
Reply
childcaremom 11:38 AM 03-27-2017
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
I'm actually kind of excited about the prospect of being able to do what I do- on a much larger scale. I actually enjoy my job now, and offering play based, DAP to my crew I see the difference. Of course, this would make a larger impact number wise. I'm thinking parent education flyers, incorporating the cafeteria more for entire-center activities, (right now it's EMPTY and locked- the kids eat in their classrooms) more outside play, more sensory activities.

It's in their hands now. I gave them a counter I could easily live with. We will see.
Best of luck!
Reply
EntropyControlSpecialist 01:06 PM 03-27-2017
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
We are in negotiation. I would like to set my own hours 6-2:30 (I'll open at 6, if the late teacher closes at 6) ONE Saturday tour a month for 2 hours MAX (the current director donates a LOT of personal time, since she is older and has no children/grandchildren near by)

They must drop the non compete. It is for one year AFTER I leave, so even if I didn't like it, I couldn't leave after a year and open up a center or an in home. I won't do an entire year of limbo.

The budget for remodeling (minor) and upgrades (not so minor) will be in the contract. Along with the pay increases for staff, and further increases down the road-education and experience dependent. Well paid, happy staff=better care, parent happiness, etc.

They MUST be reinspected after renovations and pass with flying colors. There were definite licensing violations yesterday (nothing serious, but that's not how I operate). I pulled 4 student binders, and 3/4 had missing or expired paperwork. NOT acceptable.

They must raise the salary a bit, it's just...low balled. There are times in winter Dec-Feb usually we get by on just my income alone/savings if work is slow for dh (since he still has payroll) and that would be a little tight.

Also- the DAP thing. You could see the poor 2's teacher breathe a visible sigh of relief when I asked her why the kids are doing worksheets (well, why she was TRYING to get them to do them/doing them for them/hand over hand). The current director told her that parents want a 'receipt of learning'. NO. JUST NO.

Met a few parents- spoke to them about concerns. Most aligned with mine (one just wanted extended hours and lower rates- to which I told the owner- PASS.) A gradual rate increase was already in my idea sheet. They are on the VERY low end of center market rates. I actually charge more per child NOW at my home.

So, we will see!
What a blessing you would be to that center! WOW! I hope they get the ball rolling quickly.
Reply
daycarediva 01:29 PM 03-27-2017
Originally Posted by EntropyControlSpecialist:
What a blessing you would be to that center! WOW! I hope they get the ball rolling quickly.
The proposal that I emailed over even gave them financial benefits, over the course of a year, they will not only recover the loss of the immediate renovations, my increased salary, but the additional teacher salaries, but they will still see a higher profit margin.

$1/day increases every 3 months for the next 18 months for current clients. All new clients come in at the new rate. (with an entire age group leaving in August for school, that is already 30 new kids at the higher rate) AND I cut the 1/2 day 'wraparound care' rate they were offering UPK kids. NO discount, because they are still paying staff, to 'clean'.
Reply
racemom 06:09 AM 03-31-2017
Have you heard back from them? I am sitting here wondering what they have decided!
Reply
daycarediva 12:22 PM 03-31-2017
ME TOO! I am supposed to hear either way, today. My phone is attached to my hand today I swear.
Reply
CityGarden 12:43 PM 03-31-2017
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
ME TOO! I am supposed to hear either way, today. My phone is attached to my hand today I swear.
Best of luck! Either way this has been a great learning experience and what a gem you would be to them if they accepted.
Reply
Shell 05:27 PM 03-31-2017
Just my two cents: I went back to a center after closing my home daycare. I went back not as the director, but as a program manager and also teacher. I was very excited about getting out of the house, no longer having to deal with business taxes, enrollment, etc.

What I wasn't prepared for, and as a pp mentioned, is the DRAMA that comes with working in a center. I swear, it's worse than high school!

Anyway, I'm almost two years in, and no longer a manager- I could not take the drama one second longer.

I believe you can do this- you have the skill set, the business mind, and you would be a huge asset.

Just beware of the drama 😉 Best of luck in whatever you decide!
Reply
daycarediva 05:46 AM 04-03-2017
No non compete. We're negotiating salary.

They are also allowing me to finish out the school year here (I have many teacher families, and it's way easier for my own family)

If we can agree on a number, I start in July!

I was very upfront with her, I plan to work the summer and then reassess the situation in September. Since another teacher finishes her BA this summer, they would have an interim director should I step down.

I need some real clothes, it's no jeans. The last time I had a business casual job was in 2008. Time to hit the nice consignment shops.
Reply
Mike 07:15 AM 04-03-2017
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
No non compete. We're negotiating salary.

They are also allowing me to finish out the school year here (I have many teacher families, and it's way easier for my own family)

If we can agree on a number, I start in July!

I was very upfront with her, I plan to work the summer and then reassess the situation in September. Since another teacher finishes her BA this summer, they would have an interim director should I step down.

I need some real clothes, it's no jeans. The last time I had a business casual job was in 2008. Time to hit the nice consignment shops.
Congrats
Hope it all goes well for ya.

You and I shop alike.
Reply
Blackcat31 09:54 AM 04-03-2017
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
No non compete. We're negotiating salary.

They are also allowing me to finish out the school year here (I have many teacher families, and it's way easier for my own family)

If we can agree on a number, I start in July!

I was very upfront with her, I plan to work the summer and then reassess the situation in September. Since another teacher finishes her BA this summer, they would have an interim director should I step down.

I need some real clothes, it's no jeans. The last time I had a business casual job was in 2008. Time to hit the nice consignment shops.
Congratulations!!!!

SUPER happy for you but kinda pissy that you aren't going to be able to be on the board like you are now....

Still overall it sounds like a fantastic opportunity for you and one I can't say I wouldn't have taken myself if I had been presented with an opportunity like that!

You are gonna rock this!!!
Reply
CityGarden 11:24 AM 04-03-2017
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
No non compete. We're negotiating salary.

They are also allowing me to finish out the school year here (I have many teacher families, and it's way easier for my own family)

If we can agree on a number, I start in July!

I was very upfront with her, I plan to work the summer and then reassess the situation in September. Since another teacher finishes her BA this summer, they would have an interim director should I step down.

I need some real clothes, it's no jeans. The last time I had a business casual job was in 2008. Time to hit the nice consignment shops.
Woo hoo congrats!!!

I do not allow myself to wear jeans at my in-home program I find I feel better when I am more polished so have fun shopping!
Reply
Josiegirl 11:33 AM 04-03-2017
Congratulations!! You're driving a hard bargain with them and it sounds like they reallyreallyreally want you!!! Wish I was half the professional that you are!
And who said you're not gonna stick around here after?
Reply
daycarediva 01:17 PM 04-03-2017
TOTALLY sticking around, I have to consult with all of you fine ladies! just not during the work day. I get home at 3:30 though.

I wear jeans or yoga pants 99% of the time for work. ALL of my jeans and yoga pants are stained and have wear in the knees. I have the wardrobe of a 3yo. Sometimes in summer I wear maxi dresses.

I have some work pants (maybe 3 pair?) and a few blazers and nice blouses. I can get started at least.

The staff dress code is khaki pants and polo shirts. Maybe I'll start casual Friday or something.
Reply
Ariana 01:38 PM 04-03-2017
CONGRATULATIONS . So so exciting!!!

Happy shopping
Reply
momofsix 02:01 PM 04-03-2017
Congratulations
Reply
CalCare 02:02 PM 04-03-2017
Very exciting! Congratulations Starting new projects is the best.
Reply
EntropyControlSpecialist 06:42 AM 04-04-2017
Very exciting!
Reply
DaveA 06:44 AM 04-04-2017
Congratulations!!!!
Reply
racemom 12:30 PM 04-04-2017
Congratulations!
Reply
Baby Beluga 02:15 PM 04-04-2017
Congratulations!
Reply
Tags:director, job opportunity
Reply Up