Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Is This Normal?
WDW 12:19 PM 04-27-2011
I have a 10.5 month old DCG in my care. She is not holding her bottle (not even trying to), isn't crawling or sitting up. She is just starting to stay in a sitting up position if you put her there, but she doesn't yet get up or down by herself. She only eats stage two baby foods which are completely pureed, stuff like this, so I am wondering if she is maybe a little behind on development. I work with her everyday...

I guess my question is this.. she rolls around the floor like crazy (which is good)... but she is always putting her bottom up against things, and then kicking like crazy. For example, she snugs her bottom up to the wall and then kicks the wall, puts her bottom along my entertainment center and kicks the dvd player, she does it everywhere. It's starting to be annoying because it's not good for the dvd player, and it wakes up kids when she kicks the walls. She also is very loud, "talking" and crying a lot. Any ideas? I don't really want to confine her to a gated area, but I can't think of much else.
Cat Herder 12:24 PM 04-27-2011
Agh.....the curse of the Baby Gym. She wants something she can lay under, play with and kick.

Big reward, very little work.

I would definately gate off electronics if you can.

Does she eat finger foods at the table with the rest of the group at all?
SilverSabre25 12:27 PM 04-27-2011
Well, IME 10.5 months is awfully late to not even be sitting up independently. Eating particular "stage" foods isn't exactly a developmental milestone, but the lack of sitting definitely is a red flag for me.

Most likely it's the curse of a baby kept in "baby equipment" most of the time.
WDW 12:34 PM 04-27-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:
Agh.....the curse of the Baby Gym. She wants something she can lay under, play with and kick.

Big reward, very little work.

I would definately gate off electronics if you can.

Does she eat finger foods at the table with the rest of the group at all?
That's the thing.. I have tried 3 different "baby gyms" - she rolls away and kicks something else. No, she's not eating any finger foods. Nothing but baby cereal and stage 2 foods.

Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
Well, IME 10.5 months is awfully late to not even be sitting up independently. Eating particular "stage" foods isn't exactly a developmental milestone, but the lack of sitting definitely is a red flag for me.

Most likely it's the curse of a baby kept in "baby equipment" most of the time.
This could be the case at home. Certainly not here, the only equipment I use is the highchair while she is eating, and the crib while she's asleep. Otherwise she's happily on my floor. I tried a saucer a time or two but she doesn't seem to have the strength to hold herself up. Hmmmm...
daycare 12:37 PM 04-27-2011
I dont have any young ones of this age, but when my niece was little I used to pick her up from DC.... every week they sent home a paper called ages and stages...it showed where you child was on the chart....super cool...The lady only had 4 babies so I guess she had lots of time to do this...

maybe you could pull up something like this of what is expected of the child at this age.

Talk to the parents about it and send home the information. I think that the previous posters are on to something....sounds like she does not get enough floor time...... I also meant at home.....lol
SilverSabre25 12:40 PM 04-27-2011
Originally Posted by WDW:
This could be the case at home. Certainly not here, the only equipment I use is the highchair while she is eating, and the crib while she's asleep. Otherwise she's happily on my floor. I tried a saucer a time or two but she doesn't seem to have the strength to hold herself up. Hmmmm...
I didn't figure it was the case at your house! I was guessing it was most likely the case at home. Does she bear weight on her legs if you hold her up and try to stand her on the floor? She definitely should be at 10.5 months, and considering the lack of sitting, if she's not, I'd definitely mention it to be parents and suggest the check with a doctor.
WDW 12:50 PM 04-27-2011
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
I didn't figure it was the case at your house! I was guessing it was most likely the case at home. Does she bear weight on her legs if you hold her up and try to stand her on the floor? She definitely should be at 10.5 months, and considering the lack of sitting, if she's not, I'd definitely mention it to be parents and suggest the check with a doctor.
I knew you meant at home. She has started putting weight on her legs recently, probably a month or six weeks ago! Yay! I have talked about it with mom and she just says she will do things when she's ready. Just wondered if anyone else had this experience.

I have seen those Ages and Stages things. I have links to them on my website, but I don't think any of my famililes read them. I would send them home but half of what I send home gets left on my couch, or is in the diaper bag for weeks afterwards. It seems like in my region, lots of people just want to bring the kids to you, and pick them up. All they want in the middle is safety, and they don't really care what else.
daycare 12:54 PM 04-27-2011
its not your region, I think that it is just most people....I had to force myself not to care so much about the kids grwoing and just love them....once the kids walk out my front door there in not much I can do if anything..

I feel taht most parents look at me like a babysitter and it's not my palce to tell them anything abotu their child. So unless they ask I dont do anything about it........sad, but true......and btw this does not stand true for everything, just most things........
nannyde 01:20 PM 04-27-2011
She in a jolly jumper at home?
WDW 01:26 PM 04-27-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
She in a jolly jumper at home?
I don't know. I could ask mom.
Symphony 01:37 PM 04-27-2011
Was she by chance a preemie?
WDW 02:09 PM 04-27-2011
Originally Posted by Symphony:
Was she by chance a preemie?
No. Full term, about 7ish lbs.
cheerfuldom 03:39 PM 04-27-2011
probably a combo of being restrained in equipment all the time at home or being carried too much. I would wait it out till right before her 12 month check up and then address it if you are still seeing no improvement. There actually could be something wrong here.
Tags:baby gym, developmentally delayed, gym, preemie
Reply Up