Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>OT: you are more beautiful than you think
just_peachy 05:45 AM 04-18-2013
I try to resist, but Dove always sucks me in with their awesome ad campaigns.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...ef=mostpopular
MotherNature 05:58 AM 04-18-2013
I found this as another point of view on the campaign. http://jazzylittledrops.tumblr.com/p...video-makes-me
just_peachy 06:44 AM 04-18-2013
Originally Posted by MotherNature:
I found this as another point of view on the campaign. http://jazzylittledrops.tumblr.com/p...video-makes-me
All good points. I choose to take the good and leave the bad, and perhaps write a letter to Dove about its racial profile. It's still better than those awful Axe commercials!
daycarediva 06:49 AM 04-18-2013
Dove is owned by Unilever, which owns Axe, blah blah blah... duh. It's a marketing campaign.

Why is it 'fair' to have white/non white share equal parts in a video when there are still more whites than non-whites. ?

Also, it annoys the heck out of me that every single time, with every single thing, race gets brought into it. RACE is a factor because people keep bringing it up!

Yes, like it or not, beauty is important. Beauty is relative to culture and times. Beauty is subjective.

I liked the ad, it tried to show us that we are our own worst critics and that we are more beautiful than we believe ourselves to be. It left people feeling more confident, what's wrong with that?
just_peachy 06:57 AM 04-18-2013
My motive in posting was as a pick-me-up because that's the effect it had on me. I don't even use Dove products because of the parabens and SLS but that wasn't relevant to the message.

Next time I'll stick to the emails to my mom.
SquirrellyMama 06:58 AM 04-18-2013
Originally Posted by MotherNature:
So glad someone put into words why I didn't like the ad. I would have loved to see some larger women in their ad. Beauty may mean many things but to most it means thin. Everything in that ad was surface and had nothing to do with character. I have known "beautiful" women who became ugly as soon as their mouth opened.

K
MotherNature 07:21 AM 04-18-2013
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
Dove is owned by Unilever, which owns Axe, blah blah blah... duh. It's a marketing campaign.

Why is it 'fair' to have white/non white share equal parts in a video when there are still more whites than non-whites. ?

Also, it annoys the heck out of me that every single time, with every single thing, race gets brought into it. RACE is a factor because people keep bringing it up!

Yes, like it or not, beauty is important. Beauty is relative to culture and times. Beauty is subjective.

I liked the ad, it tried to show us that we are our own worst critics and that we are more beautiful than we believe ourselves to be. It left people feeling more confident, what's wrong with that?
Yeah, confidence is great, and people are definitely they're own worst critics many times. All well and good. my issue is that while beauty is subjective, the campaign is not, by highlighting thin, white beauty as the standard to achieve by featuring it more. race is an issue because it's unfairly skewed and biased in favour of whites, who are generally given a better head start in American society and more chances for success. my other issue is while it's nice to feel attractive, why focus on the physical just because it's status quo...physical beauty is not whats important and we should be challenging that. sorry for the bad punctuation and no caps..my keyboard is messed up.
momofsix 07:39 AM 04-18-2013
Originally Posted by daycarediva:

Are you serious?
Obviously you haven't had enough discussions about race and learned about the effects of racism and discrimination if you honestly feel that way.

Sorry Peachy for going off on this thread-the ad itself didn't make me mad, although I did notice some things that I didn't like in it. It's comments like above that make me lose it.
momofsix 07:48 AM 04-18-2013
Originally Posted by momofsix:
Are you serious?
Obviously you haven't had enough discussions about race and learned about the effects of racism and discrimination if you honestly feel that way.

Sorry Peachy for going off on this thread-the ad itself didn't make me mad, although I did notice some things that I didn't like in it. It's comments like above that make me lose it.
Sorry Dive-shouldn't have lost it like that. Please accept my apology.
just_peachy 07:59 AM 04-18-2013
Originally Posted by momofsix:

It's okay. I've gotten used to it around here. It's pretty commonplace for the intentions, however well meaning, of any one poster to be completely disregarded in order to push one's own opinion/thoughts/agenda. It's actually the reason I deleted my FB in January- to rid myself of the drama, negativity, and hurt feelings it was causing. But I missed the networking, and looked for a new place to call online-home.

I'm realizing now this is NOT it, unless of course, I'm complaining about a DCP, then it's the most supportive place on the internet.

The good news is, I've decided to delete my account and move on! Maybe I'll stick to novels for my coffee break pleasures.
Blackcat31 08:13 AM 04-18-2013
Originally Posted by just_peachy:
It's okay. I've gotten used to it around here. It's pretty commonplace for the intentions, however well meaning, of any one poster to be completely disregarded in order to push one's own opinion/thoughts/agenda. It's actually the reason I deleted my FB in January- to rid myself of the drama, negativity, and hurt feelings it was causing. But I missed the networking, and looked for a new place to call online-home.

I'm realizing now this is NOT it, unless of course, I'm complaining about a DCP, then it's the most supportive place on the internet.

The good news is, I've decided to delete my account and move on! Maybe I'll stick to novels for my coffee break pleasures.
I'm sorry you feel that way about this forum Peachy. I think that sharing one's opinion/thoughts and pushing one's own agenda is pretty much common place in society. No matter if you are on-line or standing in line at Starbucks. People ARE dramatic. People do have opinions and people do share them.

You can't escape that. Charles Swindall has a fantastic quote about life. The whole thing is kind of long but the BEST part of it is when he says "Life is 10% of what happens to you and 90% how YOU react to it."

Basically I think that is a great outlook to have. I can't change others. I can't make people do, think or believe as I do. I can only change what I think, do and believe. Take what you can, learn what you are able to and share what you have. Leave the rest.

In all honesty, I thought you posted the link/thread so we can discuss it. ALL sides of it.
You didn't say anything about what your intent or reasons were for posting in the first place.

Thank you though for posting it. I have heard a lot of talk about it but hadn't had the chance to view it yet.
just_peachy 08:19 AM 04-18-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I'm sorry you feel that way about this forum Peachy. I think that sharing one's opinion/thoughts and pushing one's own agenda is pretty much common place in society. No matter if you are on-line or standing in line at Starbucks. People ARE dramatic. People do have opinions and people do share them.

You can't escape that. Charles Swindall has a fantastic quote about life. The whole thing is kind of long but the BEST part of it is when he says "Life is 10% of what happens to you and 90% how YOU react to it."

Basically I think that is a great outlook to have. I can't change others. I can't make people do, think or believe as I do. I can only change what I think, do and believe. Take what you can, learn what you are able to and share what you have. Leave the rest.

In all honesty, I thought you posted the link/thread so we can discuss it. ALL sides of it.
You didn't say anything about what your intent or reasons were for posting in the first place.

Thank you though for posting it. I have heard a lot of talk about it but hadn't had the chance to view it yet.
I don't disagree, but I have such a small amount of "alone time" around here, that I cherish it dearly and I try to fill it with positivity, which was the intent of my post. As soon as I feel myself getting "sucked in," it's time to move on. You are dead on, I can't change others. And my reaction of choice is distance, for my own sanity. I'm glad this forum works for so many others! It's just not for me, as much as I tried to force it.

Now, I need help deleting my account. I can't find that option anywhere!
Blackcat31 08:25 AM 04-18-2013
Originally Posted by just_peachy:
I don't disagree, but I have such a small amount of "alone time" around here, that I cherish it dearly and I try to fill it with positivity, which was the intent of my post. As soon as I feel myself getting "sucked in," it's time to move on. You are dead on, I can't change others. And my reaction of choice is distance, for my own sanity. I'm glad this forum works for so many others! It's just not for me, as much as I tried to force it.

Now, I need help deleting my account. I can't find that option anywhere!
Accounts are not allowed to be deleted because when they are deleted, their posts go too.

Michael doesn't allow posts to be deleted as it messes with the whole framework of the forum.

The only thing you can do is log out and just not log back in again.

I really do wish you would reconsider and hang around....even if only periodically.

You have always had some great posts and are definitely an asset for the forum.

You could just be super selective about answering threads/posts and not be an active participant if you don't want to.

I'm sorry....I wish I could have been more helpful about the account deletion part.

Just so you know, I have had a good time getting to know you and having you on board
just_peachy 08:30 AM 04-18-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Accounts are not allowed to be deleted because when they are deleted, their posts go too.

Michael doesn't allow posts to be deleted as it messes with the whole framework of the forum.

The only thing you can do is log out and just not log back in again.

I really do wish you would reconsider and hang around....even if only periodically.

You have always had some great posts and are definitely an asset for the forum.

You could just be super selective about answering threads/posts and not be an active participant if you don't want to.

I'm sorry....I wish I could have been more helpful about the account deletion part.

Just so you know, I have had a good time getting to know you and having you on board
Thanks, ditto!

I learned a lot about what I want from/with my daycare if nothing else. I had to delete my FB because I think I have a bit of an issue with internet addiction () and ridding myself of the temptation was my only option. But I'm sure I'll manage.
Reply Up