Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>A No Show....
CtheLove 12:56 PM 06-03-2014
I just started my home daycare two months ago. I have only just recently got two calls about it. One was for a 3yr old boy for just Friday's, not great money but I'll take it at this point. My other was for a 1yr old girl full time, definitely more excited for this one. Her interview was today at 2pm, but never showed up and never called. I even texted at 2:45 if we were still on for today, never responed. I wanted to give her the benefit of the doubt because she said she was taking the bus. But here it is almost 4 and still nothing. It just really sucks what a crappy feeling.
playground1 01:00 PM 06-03-2014
I was just telling my husband today, that it's so weird that we now have one million different ways to communicate and no one seems to use it. So rude!
Childminder 01:01 PM 06-03-2014
Sorry to say but happens all the time. If they do call and set up another time they either won't show for that one too or if they do show and you do take them on they will be just as unreliable in every aspect.
Chellieleanne 01:10 PM 06-03-2014
I have had a lot of those. If they don't show after 30 minutes with no attempt to contact me then I move on to the next. I am not going to waste my time!
LysesKids 02:14 PM 06-03-2014
I had 4 meet & greets set since last Tuesday and all 4 blew me off (today was #4). That's a record for me and I just re-opened in a new state 6 months ago. One or two I expect, but not 4 in a row
TickleMonster 02:23 PM 06-03-2014
Sad to say but get used to it. People have no common courteousy anymore. If they do call back, do not reschedule with them. Tell them simply that they had a chance to make a good impression and they didnt. Speaking from experiance parents who are like that for interviews are also the ones who will be unreliable when it comes to paying you on time.
llpa 02:26 PM 06-03-2014
Originally Posted by TickleMonster:
Sad to say but get used to it. People have no common courteousy anymore. If they do call back, do not reschedule with them. Tell them simply that they had a chance to make a good impression and they didnt. Speaking from experiance parents who are like that for interviews are also the ones who will be unreliable when it comes to paying you on time.

rosieteddy 05:04 PM 06-03-2014
When this happened to me I waited 45 min.Then I put a note on the door."Waited 45 min past our scheduled meeting.Went out and will reschedule once to see if we are a fit.My time is valuable and I expect a call if you are more than 15 min late."This might seem mean but I wanted to let them know I have a life.One client did call and apologize we rescheduled and I did take them on.
CtheLove 05:37 PM 06-03-2014
Thanks everyone for your responds, it's nice to know that everyone can relate and it's not just me. I have been advertising for over two months and that was only my second call, I'm really starting to stress out. We NEED this income, and going on 2 1/2 months and only two calls, I don't know what else to do. I have talk to some people that said my rates are good, my ads look good and my website looks good. So I'm just getting to my wits end on what else to do. I was just talking to my husband that I might just I have to give up and get a job out side the home, but than we have the dilemma of paying for care ourselves. But that's why I'm trying to do daycare cause with 4 kids we really can't afford to.
agghh just frustrated!
debbiedoeszip 05:57 PM 06-03-2014
Are there not any home daycare agencies you could work through? It pays less than working completely independently, but less money is better than no money. Here, you can be a home daycare provider through the YMCA, the Ontario Early Years Center, and there are a few private agencies. You get paid through the agency, but are considered a sub-contractor, not an employee. They send clients your way, lend equipment, books, toys. I provided home daycare through the (Canadian) military resource center, and they used to give each provider a monthly allotment of art materials (paint, paper, pipe cleaners, etc) on top of equipment/toy loans.

When I open my daycare, I fully intend to go to each of the agencies first and join with them. I can still take on clients independently, and I don't have to take one of their clients if I'm not getting a good feeling from the child or the family. I can leave any/all of the agencies any time I want (though they will want their equipment and toys back, of course).

If I were you, I'd check into any possible home daycare agencies and see about joining them.
CraftyMom 06:22 PM 06-03-2014
I've had a couple of no show interviews myself. They stink. Weird too, because they were from people that really seemed interested and excited over the phone.

Don't let it get you down, you fill up!
melilley 06:40 PM 06-03-2014
Originally Posted by Childminder:
Sorry to say but happens all the time. If they do call and set up another time they either won't show for that one too or if they do show and you do take them on they will be just as unreliable in every aspect.
I keep track of the people who don't show and put them on my blacklist!
melilley 06:45 PM 06-03-2014
Originally Posted by CtheLove:
Thanks everyone for your responds, it's nice to know that everyone can relate and it's not just me. I have been advertising for over two months and that was only my second call, I'm really starting to stress out. We NEED this income, and going on 2 1/2 months and only two calls, I don't know what else to do. I have talk to some people that said my rates are good, my ads look good and my website looks good. So I'm just getting to my wits end on what else to do. I was just talking to my husband that I might just I have to give up and get a job out side the home, but than we have the dilemma of paying for care ourselves. But that's why I'm trying to do daycare cause with 4 kids we really can't afford to.
agghh just frustrated!
HI!
No calls/no shows do happen sometimes and at first it stings, but after a while, they won't bother you.
It may take a few months to get children. It took me 2 1/2 to 3 months before I had enough children where we were comfortable financially.
I do have to say that the calls and interviews go in spurts and it seems to depend on the time of year. In Sept. I lost a child to formal preschool and had an ad out for 3 months and barely anything. I finally filled the spot through someone I knew and because a child aged up, but it took forever. I seem to get a ton of calls then nothing. I am full now (well I have 2 p/t 2 days a week opening), but it took a while to become fully full.

Good luck and I'm sure those calls and interviews will come in no time!
midaycare 07:13 PM 06-03-2014
My best advice is to stay confident and present yourself as the best available daycare out there. Parents smell desperation and then you really won't get any calls.

Just remember that you have something to offer. Figure out what your niche is and then market it to people when you talk to them.
NoMoreJuice! 08:49 PM 06-03-2014
When I moved and reopened my daycare, I spent three months and over a thousand dollars advertising everywhere and buying business cards and making flyers...it just happens when it happens. And it seems to happen all at once! I opened in March, had two part time kids all summer, then in August/September, I suddenly got overwhelmed with kids(seriously, overwhelmed...like I could barely remember their names I had so many new ones start at once). It will happen to you, too! Hang in there!
coolconfidentme 03:54 AM 06-04-2014
How are you advertising? Do you have business cards to hand out while you are out & about? Take some to the employment & staffing agencies, the doctor's offices, the welfare office if you take vouchers, the laundromat, etc. Give some to family & friends to pass out too! Good luck!!
Reply Up