Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>CSection Caregiver
Cwillis 04:40 PM 05-27-2015
I want to open a home daycare and when I have my baby I know it will be a csection which, last time, took 8 weeks of recovery. How do you tell parents this? Would you wait to start daycare until after baby? Have you experienced this?
NightOwl 05:02 PM 05-27-2015
How far along are you and can you afford to wait?
finsup 05:34 PM 05-27-2015
I will always need a c section. My second was one, and this one now will be too. But I never needed 8 weeks, I was fine after 2. So I only close for 2 weeks. I don't think I could take 8 without making it really difficult on the families. There's only one family I have who may be OK with that. If you need the 8 weeks, I'd definitely just wait until that point to start doing this. A lot less stress that way and you can make sure you are fully ready when you do start.
Cwillis 05:41 PM 05-27-2015
Originally Posted by finsup:
I will always need a c section. My second was one, and this one now will be too. But I never needed 8 weeks, I was fine after 2. So I only close for 2 weeks. I don't think I could take 8 without making it really difficult on the families. There's only one family I have who may be OK with that. If you need the 8 weeks, I'd definitely just wait until that point to start doing this. A lot less stress that way and you can make sure you are fully ready when you do start.
My first was a csection. I was allergic to the stitches, had mrsa on my incision, and group b strep on my incision. At my 6 week appointment I was still not fully recovered. I couldn't even stand upright or lift my baby for at least 3. I don't know if the second one will go that way but I have to be prepared for that since I do know it will be a csection. Thanks for the input.
Play Care 03:06 AM 05-28-2015
I'm not sure if you have clients lined up already. I will say that when my own kids were young, it was hard to get clients. DCP's are funny about your own kids being "the baby" In my case it worked out as I was as full as I wanted to be (2 dck's) when my youngest turned 1, I started getting more clients.

Personally I believe in taking as much mat leave as you can get away with. So if that means delaying opening until after baby is here, and you've fully healed, then do it. It's time you will never get back.

Good Luck!
NightOwl 05:33 AM 05-28-2015
I agree. Wait until after baby is born if you anticipate needing 8 weeks. I had one with my 4th child and it took me about 3 weeks to feel normal again. But I also had a lot of complications with that delivery and had my tubes tied at the same time. Without complications or the tubal, I think I would've bounced back even faster.
cheerfuldom 07:34 AM 05-28-2015
I would wait if you can. At 8 weeks maternity leave, you more than likely will lose all your families and have to restart over.
Rainbow 12:45 PM 05-28-2015
Seriously, I have no idea how so many providers on here manage to open up their daycare so quickly after having a baby. Especially after having a c-section?! I just had a baby and had an unplanned c-section. There was no way I could have opened up after 2 or 3 weeks. I wasn't even allowed to lift more than 15 lbs for 6 weeks! I couldn't even lift my own baby in a car seat for a good chunk of that time. All of my daycare kids are under 2. They all have diapers that need to be changed, either up on the changing table-but I wouldn't have been able to do that, because they weigh too much or down on the floor, but I wouldn't have wanted to do that either, because it hurt too much to bend down.

I say, if you think you will need 8 weeks, then take at least 8 weeks. I signed on 3 new families while pregnant. They all knew before signing on that I planned to close for a couple months when I had my baby. One family said from the get go that my maternity leave didn't really work for them, but they needed daycare right away and it would at least get them by for the time being. After I opened up I had lost 2 families and had 2 families come back. So, as long as you are prepared for families to either stay or go, and are ok with either option, I think you will be fine. Go ahead and start your daycare. If you are up front with potential families- they will either make it work or find another daycare when the time comes. Good Luck!
Reply Up