Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Can I get some help with a contract?
Thriftylady 08:58 AM 06-25-2015
I am signing a new DCB! Yay since I have none. But it is a bit of an odd situation. Grandma will have him for 2 months. She interviewed a couple of weeks ago and called today to see if I still have spots. But she works at WM, and her schedule is crazy of course. I had quoted her for 30 hours a week, but next week (he won't be here yet) she only has 17 hours of work. Since I am trying to fill up, I want to be super fair with her for the word of mouth. I am trying to figure out how to be fair to us both in this deal. She is going to give me a copy of her schedule every two weeks so I will know her hours ahead of time to plan around and such. She seems at this point like she will be easy to work with. I am just not sure how to charge her.
Blackcat31 09:23 AM 06-25-2015
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
I am signing a new DCB! Yay since I have none. But it is a bit of an odd situation. Grandma will have him for 2 months. She interviewed a couple of weeks ago and called today to see if I still have spots. But she works at WM, and her schedule is crazy of course. I had quoted her for 30 hours a week, but next week (he won't be here yet) she only has 17 hours of work. Since I am trying to fill up, I want to be super fair with her for the word of mouth. I am trying to figure out how to be fair to us both in this deal. She is going to give me a copy of her schedule every two weeks so I will know her hours ahead of time to plan around and such. She seems at this point like she will be easy to work with. I am just not sure how to charge her.
Maybe consider doing something like: (based on your area's approximate rates):

.5-20 hours of care = $5.00 per hour
20.5 to 30 hours of care = $4.00 per hour
30.5 -40 hours of care = $3.50 per hour

That way it's worth your time (if it isn't a lot of hours one week) but is still affordable for grandma because if she works more, she makes more...
Thriftylady 11:20 AM 06-25-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Maybe consider doing something like: (based on your area's approximate rates):

.5-20 hours of care = $5.00 per hour
20.5 to 30 hours of care = $4.00 per hour
30.5 -40 hours of care = $3.50 per hour

That way it's worth your time (if it isn't a lot of hours one week) but is still affordable for grandma because if she works more, she makes more...
That is one idea. I am also thinking of perhaps a daily rate. It may be easier once I see her schedule. Right now I am wondering on a 17 hour week how many days a week that looks like. Two or three would be easier for me (I could have the other days that I have no other kids to clean or whatever), but if it is still 4-5 days a week, well that is harder for me to plan other things around, so would the charge be more for that? Ok that makes sense in my mind but I am not sure it does how I typed it lol.
AmyKidsCo 12:54 PM 06-25-2015
What if you charged her a set amount per week for up to _______ hours (you pick the number) and she pays more for additional hours. That way you've got a steady income to rely on and she's got the option of adding more hours.

I don't like BC's rate structure because I don't think it's fair to charge her extra for fewer hours because her schedule isn't up to her, and if she's working less hours she's making less income but paying more for child care.
Blackcat31 01:08 PM 06-25-2015
Originally Posted by AmyKidsCo:
What if you charged her a set amount per week for up to _______ hours (you pick the number) and she pays more for additional hours. That way you've got a steady income to rely on and she's got the option of adding more hours.

I don't like BC's rate structure because I don't think it's fair to charge her extra for fewer hours because her schedule isn't up to her, and if she's working less hours she's making less income but paying more for child care.
That was the goal I had in mind. The bolded part above....

I know I charge more per day for those families that use less days per week so in an essence those families ARE paying more to use less care but it's the only way I can guarantee that I have a secure income.

Part time (less hours) generally does cost more than full time when broken down so that's where my train of thought was when I posted.....
AmyKidsCo 01:14 PM 06-25-2015
I charge more per day for part time than full time too. We both had the same idea but went about it in different ways.

I think this is the first time I haven't agreed with something you posted!
Thriftylady 01:17 PM 06-25-2015
I charge more per day for part time than full time too. We both had the same idea but went about it in different ways.

AW shucks she okay with that! Her and I seem to debate often funny thing is in the end we mostly agree sometimes we just have to have a lot of posts to realize it lol. Gotta love BC! What would we do without her?
AuntTami 01:31 PM 06-25-2015
AW shucks she okay with that! Her and I seem to debate often funny thing is in the end we mostly agree sometimes we just have to have a lot of posts to realize it lol. Gotta love BC! What would we do without her?
Nothing because the whole forum would probably shut down and without her, there's no one except michael(who, I think, is really busy lol) who can fix it!
Blackcat31 03:27 PM 06-25-2015

LOL! See, I didn't even see it that we weren't agreeing...I just thought we were saying it differently..

That's how I view our debates too... both on the same page, just wording it differently or approaching it from different angles.

Originally Posted by AuntTami:
Nothing because the whole forum would probably shut down and without her, there's no one except michael(who, I think, is really busy lol) who can fix it!
Awww, I just love all you ladies!!
Reply Up