Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Potty Training Struggle
mamamanda 11:26 AM 12-04-2015
Dcg will be 2 next month. Dcm and dcd tell me she consistently potties on the potty chair at home several times a day. They put her on the potty first thing when she wakes, after daycare, and before bed and she pees every time. She is definitely not doing that here. She is currently my only dck along with my own children so I agreed to assist with potty training, but we've been doing this a month and she has peed on the potty once here. She doesn't ever ask to go except when I'm changing her diaper, but she throws a screaming/crying fit if I don't let he sit on the potty each time I change her. Of course, she doesn't actually go b/c she already went which is why I was changing her in the first place. She just sits down, stands up, blows kisses, asks about every little thing in the bathroom...meanwhile my own toddler is typically banging at the door crying for my attention. It just feels very disruptive to our day and not at all beneficial to anyone. I truly don't feel she's ready. Sure, she goes for them b/c she's their only one and they can sit in the bathroom for 15 minutes each time, but its not her telling them she needs to potty. It's the other way around. I've tried just backing off on using the potty here, but she is so conditioned to sit on the potty now that she sobs hysterically if I don't let her after each change. It's got to be confusing for her and I don't know how to handle it. She is very advanced in many areas with abilities such as speaking in sentences and spelling her own name along with a couple of the other kids' names in care. I only mention that because I think it contributes to them feeling she is indeed ready. She truly is a very bright little girl. I just don't think she's ready to use the toilet in a group care environment with friends and activities happening around her. But how to go backwards now?
KarenSue 12:22 PM 12-04-2015
https://www.daycare.com/nannyde/pott...to-parents.htm

This was very helpful to me. I have three young toddlers and a mom was hinting that she is ready. I gave her this link to read and told her I won't attempt potty training before a child is 2 and actually showing me signs.
Unregistered 01:17 PM 12-04-2015
I would stop doing it. I have one recently who would throw a fit everytime I asked her to try and get dressed after. I just stopped. I'm not gonna fight that, she's not ready. Maybe offer some pre-potty training help. Like getting dressed and washing hands. I would ignore her fits and just go on with my day.
Josiegirl 03:29 PM 12-05-2015
Potty training has got to be one of the hardest things to make work between 2 households. How does dcg do on weekends?
Kids are so funny. I have 3 right now, ages range from 2.5-3.5. They are all in the potty training phases right now. It's weird because one day I had the 2.5 yo without the other 2 and she refused to go for me, right down to the screaming crying fit. The middle one will be 3 in Feb. and for the longest time she did exactly what you're describing, she insisted on going through the whole process like the others but never having any success. Well I'll be darned she has now caught on the quickest. Then the 3.5 yo really doesn't care most of the time.
I figure I'll just keep plugging along until they get it because that's part of my job.
But as far as your particular problem, is there a reason why you couldn't bring your own toddler in with you? You could spend more time in there? I know everybody is different but as I said, I'm helping train 3 at the moment and I have to bring them all in at the same time. I truly believe they'd refuse and scream if expected to go solo. This is positive peer pressure for them. Plus that's 3 dcks within my sight, 2 18 month olds right there too as I just put them into the P'n'Ps outside the door, that leaves 1 more that I'm listening to from the playroom.

I loathe potty-training.
Ariana 10:57 AM 12-07-2015
My rule is that she has to be consistently going on the toilet and in underwear for two weeks before I start doing it at daycare. Most parents think that if their child asks to sit on the potty and 50% of the time they "accidentally" pee on it this is potty trained. It's not!

I would simply say "I gave it a try but we are not seeing the same results here unfortunately. I won't be continuing here with potty training and when she is able to remain dry in underwear for two weeks without accidents I am willing to start again".
mamamanda 10:01 AM 12-08-2015
Thank you for the link. That was very helpful! Josiegirl, the reason I don't usually take my toddler in there is b/c I did in the beginning, but dcg wouldn't focus at all. She's so much more concerned about what ds is doing than what she is doing. In my opinion, just another sign that she isn't really ready. I cut way back, only sitting her on the potty once a day and only then if she asks. I loathe potty training.
mamamanda 10:02 AM 12-08-2015
Originally Posted by Ariana:
My rule is that she has to be consistently going on the toilet and in underwear for two weeks before I start doing it at daycare. Most parents think that if their child asks to sit on the potty and 50% of the time they "accidentally" pee on it this is potty trained. It's not!

I would simply say "I gave it a try but we are not seeing the same results here unfortunately. I won't be continuing here with potty training and when she is able to remain dry in underwear for two weeks without accidents I am willing to start again".

Tags:potty training
Reply Up