Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Is There An Easy Way.....
Unregistered 09:29 AM 03-07-2016
Is there an easy way to transition a baby from being swaddled during nap to laying them down for nap without swaddling? Today I had a infant (5 months) start rolling over from back to front and now cannot swaddle her for naps. As of 11:15 am she has yet to fall asleep, but is clearly tired!! When swaddled, on average, she would sleep from 10-12:30 and 2:30-3:30 or 4.
Josiegirl 09:33 AM 03-07-2016
That's tricky to change like that but you're right in removing the blanket. Can you play some very quiet lullaby music that will kind of train her to know it's still quiet time? Because there's really nothing allowed in bed with them, it's something she'll just have to get used to. Is she screaming or just antsy? You could try going in every few minutes(lengthening it between times) and rub her tummy, talk gently to her.
Play Care 09:37 AM 03-07-2016
I use a long sleeved sleep sack once they outgrow my angel care swaddle. It's a bit tighter (not too tight) across the shoulders/arms so I feel it helps the transition.

All approved by my licensing.
Ariana 10:00 AM 03-07-2016
You can swaddle with one or both arms out. I Usually start with one and then both. That way if she does roll to front she can prop herself up.
Unregistered 10:33 AM 03-07-2016
She continuously cries and rubs her eyes when she is in pack n play. I did try playing some music, but not sure that she could really hear it over her crying. I also tried going back in every so often and putting her nuk back in her mouth. I ended up bringing her out by me and sitting on the couch with her laying next to me. She did fall asleep and then I transferred her to the pack n play. She only slept for about 30 minutes, but I guess it's better than nothing! I'm sure this will take some time and soon her body will adjust.
I didn't realize you can still put them in a swaddle blanket and just leave their arm/s free? I may try that this afternoon and see if that helps. Thanks!!
Miss A 10:37 AM 03-07-2016
Originally Posted by Play Care:
I use a long sleeved sleep sack once they outgrow my angel care swaddle. It's a bit tighter (not too tight) across the shoulders/arms so I feel it helps the transition.

All approved by my licensing.
This!
Leigh 11:34 AM 03-07-2016
I was going to suggest a sleep sack, too. However, I did have a "swaddler" for kids who could roll. It put the pressure around the midsection, but didn't confine the arms at all. I have no idea what brand it was, but I liked it!
Unregistered 12:41 PM 03-07-2016
Run it by your licensing agency before you use a swaddle on a rolling child, or use it any way other than intended such as one arm out. Your license could be in jeopardy otherwise.
Blackcat31 03:06 PM 03-07-2016
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Run it by your licensing agency before you use a swaddle on a rolling child, or use it any way other than intended such as one arm out. Your license could be in jeopardy otherwise.
I live in MN and once a child begins to roll over you may NOT swaddle them in ANY way. Not partially or completely.

In my state if you swaddle, you must have written consent to swaddle. Swaddling is acceptable until 6 months.

If the infant starts to roll over before age 6 months, you must have written consent from the parent stating they are aware the child rolls over and is allow the baby to sleep in another position other than on their backs.

Once they roll over no matter how old they are, you can NOT swaddle.
jenboo 03:38 PM 03-07-2016
If your state allows it, you could try a zipadee zip. It has enclosed sleeves so if a child rolls, then they can still use their arms to push up and stuff.
You would have to look it up haha
Lovatic24 03:55 PM 03-07-2016
Would a Zipadee Zip be within regs? They can use their arms and legs in it.
Tags:swaddled, transitioning - swaddle
Reply Up