Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Baby Gates
Josiegirl 03:29 AM 01-09-2019
I've been searching on amazon, don't want to pay a bundle, but I've zeroed in on a Regalo extra tall extra wide gate.
Does anyone have this or a baby gate they recommend? It does need to be extra wide. My fear is my older dcks will use it as a hurdle to cross. But I'd like to use it to block off my living room when necessary.
Michael 03:32 AM 01-09-2019
Here are threads with Regalo in them. https://www.daycare.com/forum/search...archid=7194088
Pestle 05:12 AM 01-09-2019
I get a lot of use out of mine. I actually only two of them now.

If your older kids are climbing gates, you have a problem that can't be solved with a particular gate. I would love to hear some of the more seasoned providers chime in, because in my experience, there is always one kid who deliberately shakes the gate when they are angry precisely because they know it is off limits, and that is always the kid who refuses to be redirected or stay in a cool down space, so I haven't had any luck so far getting that behavior to change.
Cat Herder 06:02 AM 01-09-2019
I have 4 sets. https://smile.amazon.com/Regalo-192-...ords=baby+gate

I love them.
rosieteddy 06:20 AM 01-09-2019
I loved my regalo baby gate.I used it for a 3 season porch.It not only kept the children on their side ,it kept the new puppy on her side.In the kitchen I used one of the wooden gates that swing to the side.I had it for years ,it blocked the kitchen from the "den"aka daycare room.There was times when an infant would sit shaking the gate waiting for lunch.I either put them in their high chair or a play pen in the dcroom.The older kids learned not to do it.Noone in 25+years ever tried to climb over.
Baby Beluga 06:21 AM 01-09-2019
I prefer gates that you can screw in vs pressure mounted. I have just found they are sturdier and filling screw holes is easier than fixing wall damage from moving the pressure mounted cups.

I have this one and love it:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Ariana 06:21 AM 01-09-2019
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
I have 4 sets. https://smile.amazon.com/Regalo-192-...ords=baby+gate

I love them.
Sorry to hijack this thread but I am also wanting to buy this gate. It won’t be up in my home all the time so I am wondering how easy it is to take down, store and pull out? I would leave the wall attachments screwed in but are the gates easily removed from the wall attachment?
Blackcat31 06:21 AM 01-09-2019
I have a walk through gate. None of my kiddos touch the gate. They stand a few inches back from it as they are taught from day one that they may not approach the gate.

No shaking, no touching, no climbing and no opening/closing. ADULTS ONLY can touch the gate, open/close the gate.

I have visual boundaries for the one in my toddler room and I use the natural boundary (carpet/hardwood floor separation) between the entry room and kitchen area as the "line" to not cross.

The process of teaching them to not touch or approach the gate begins the minute the are dropped off on their first day of attendance. This gate stays open all the time. I like the ability to close it if necessary but so far it probably hasn't been closed in over a year.

Here is the gate I have between the kitchen and toddler room and the half door gate that separates the cubby/entry room from the kitchen. When it's time to go out into the entry way, the kids will walk up to the metal strip separating the carpet from the hardwood and stand at that line. No one ever crosses it unless given permission by an adult.

ADULTS only touch door knobs and open doors.

I agree with Pestle...if you have older kids (3+) that climb or shake the gate, there is no gate that will stop that behavior. That behavior needs more than a gate.
Attached: thumbnail_IMG_2443.jpg (381.2 KB) thumbnail_IMG_2444.jpg (284.2 KB) 
Blackcat31 06:27 AM 01-09-2019
I think the one I have is Safety 1st. It's got thick sturdy spindles and can open/close in both directions (in and out).

Its pressure mounted but since no one climbs, pushes or hangs on it, I've never had anyone force it out of place.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Safety-1s...17&athena=true
LittleExplorers 06:48 AM 01-09-2019
Not sure how wide you need. I use retracta gate and hook 2 together if not at the top of the steps. I do that to seperate a 4 season porch. I also use summer retractable gates at the bottom of my steps. I only provide care during the school year so I want something easy to put away.

As for kids jumping over, I teach from infant/ toddler on to stay away from gates so setting some good rules and boundaries should stop that.
Cat Herder 07:27 AM 01-09-2019
Originally Posted by Ariana:
Sorry to hijack this thread but I am also wanting to buy this gate. It won’t be up in my home all the time so I am wondering how easy it is to take down, store and pull out? I would leave the wall attachments screwed in but are the gates easily removed from the wall attachment?
They are really easy to use. Sometimes I even use bookshelves and zipties to secure them into temporary odd shapes and locations. (like an infant crawl space, preschool art center, sand and water center) I have tied them to trees before to keep big kids from tripping over littles during kick ball.
Cat Herder 07:37 AM 01-09-2019
Originally Posted by Ariana:
Check out the video on that link.
storybookending 07:46 AM 01-09-2019
I have 4 baby gates in my house and they are all regalo. I love them. Two are standard doorway lengths and two are extenders, although no where near as wide as the one CH posted. My kids do not touch the gates as they are taught from day one not to and I haven’t yet have a child test their limits with them by shaking or climbing. My only upstairs bathroom is behind gates so once they are potty trained age I teach them to open them themselves.
jenboo 08:08 AM 01-09-2019
Originally Posted by LittleExplorers:
Not sure how wide you need. I use retracta gate and hook 2 together if not at the top of the steps. I do that to seperate a 4 season porch. I also use summer retractable gates at the bottom of my steps. I only provide care during the school year so I want something easy to put away.

As for kids jumping over, I teach from infant/ toddler on to stay away from gates so setting some good rules and boundaries should stop that.
I will never use anything but my retract a gates. Well worth the cost!!!
Jdy2222 07:55 PM 01-09-2019
My daycare kids are also taught to not touch the gates. One of the doorway gates was broken for a few years (my teenagers jump over the gates and one of them missed) and wouldn't latch and the littles were none the wiser.

I use all regalo gates, couldn't be happier with their products.
Josiegirl 01:56 AM 01-10-2019
Thanks everybody. I guess I'll order the Regalo gate I saw.

I'm just getting so tight with my dc spending money these days and I hate to buy anything extra anymore.

Last baby gate I had blocked off the playroom and it was busted by a dcb who had a terrible temper. I didn't keep it closed all the time and he got mad at me for something, swung it so hard it snapped right off. He broke and damaged more stuff here than all the other dcks I've ever had combined.
Ariana 09:16 AM 01-10-2019
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
Check out the video on that link.
Perfect . Thanks!
Sunchimes 12:13 PM 01-10-2019
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
Thanks everybody. I guess I'll order the Regalo gate I saw.

He broke and damaged more stuff here than all the other dcks I've ever had combined.
I have that child now. She is a tiny, delicate, fragile looking toddler and the most destructive human to ever set foot in my house.
Tags:baby gate, gates
Reply Up