Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>I Just Don't Understand This - People Abuse the System
mac60 04:06 PM 12-21-2009
I have a dcf, mom works at a medical center and just remarried. Between the 2 of them, they make I am sure over $30 per hour. Mom is a nurse. Apparently they took dcg to th ER this weekend. Step dad mentioned at pickup that they were glad dcg was put on Medicaid before they got married in October. I am like what the hell, mom has insurance at med. group, (she has mentioned to me before she thought it was too expensive on the weekly premiums) just doesn't want to pay the premium, so now gets free medical from the state. This just isn't right, especially when they have a combined hourly wage of over $30 per hour. This is what pisses me off about the system. People abuse it and get away with it. Damn, I would love to have free medical insurance too, but will never happen. Hell, in 2 1/2 mo my family won't have any. How do these loopholes happen, it simply isn't right.
momma2girls 04:14 PM 12-21-2009
That is truly sad!! Did you find insurance for you and your family? My husband carries all our benefits for us as well. I know when I was divorced instead of getting state paid insurance, I received a supplement major medical, just for the major things if they were to happen. It was very cheap at that time, but it was also 11 yrs. ago.
Good luck!!
Have a Merry Christmas to you and your family!!!!!!!!!
Former Teacher 04:30 PM 12-21-2009
Oh Mac..don't get me started!

I totally have no respect for the system and the people who take advantage of it. I use to work with a girl who was "single". She is Hispanic, has 5 kids, and is married but her husband lives in Mexico (who sends her money on a regular basis). She has been on Medicaid, WIC, food stamps, whatever, you name it she's on it. Plus she has been on it for almost 19 years (since her first born). I think that is just outrageous to be on state-aid for that long. This woman works 50 plus hours a week and because of all her kids, she has no with holdings or something like that...it worked out to where she would make more then me!

Speaking of all these programs, this time of year people like her make a killing! These people get presents from the Angel Tree (Wal-Mart), the local police department, the local family services, etc... Plus the generosity of strangers like you and I. Not to mention they get their OWN presents because at the end of the year they get their tax refund in excess of 5,000 if not more!

I am sorry but it's people like my former co worker that make me NOT donate to charities. It's just a shame that they ruin it for everyone else who is honest.
GretasLittleFriends 04:53 PM 12-21-2009
I don't often donate to charities either for similar reasons. I have in the past anonymously left things on needy people's (that I knew personally) doorsteps.
mac60 05:17 PM 12-21-2009
I have not found affordable insurance yet. We have till the end of March before we lose it. I did get one call from an insurance person today and they quoted $368 per month with $5000 deductible. But I honestly don't know how we can afford adding a $368 payment when Dave's income has been cut by $800 per month. I don't think we can. I am not saying that that is too much, just without a job it is not affordable. I will be checking into the COBRA plan also when the time gets closer. Nobody wants to work with you until you are just weeks from no coverage.

Dave has a job interview tomorrow, and we are praying really hard he gets it. We have sent out over 30 resumes and this is the only call he has gotten.

Former Teacher.......I totally agree. I am very tired of hearing the single mom/parent syndrome. I am not sure that the rest of us should be responsible for those that made poor choices in their life. While I do agree that situations come up and marriages have to be dissolved, I also feel that that marriage couldn't of been "that bad" if you have 5 kids.

People totally abuse the system, and then when the hardworking person who has paid into the system for many years needs help, they are basically told tough luck.

I have a dear friend who about 8 years ago had a series of situations happen with her family......
To make a long story short.......
Her 3 year old son stepped out of a little swimming pool and feel into the riding mower engine his dad was working on and test driving around the yard. The little boys hand went into the pulleys and it cut off 4 of his fingers. He was air lifted to a city 4 hours away, and spent I am not sure how many weeks in the hospital. After failed attempts to reattach the fingers, he now has 2 on his right hand. Mom was out of work for weeks to care for him and be at the hospital with him. About 3 weeks after 3 yr old came home, dad had a heart attack at age 41 and had stents put in. He was off for several weeks. He got back to work by maybe a few weeks, and then my friend broke her foot and was off work for weeks for that. It was just one unfortunate thing after another. My friend told me that they went thru every avenue they could to get help, food stamps, churches, trying to get an electric bill or gas bill paid, and they got NOTHING. No one would help them. They came very close to losing their home.

My point is.....we continue to help those that abuse the system, then when hardworking Americans have a series of incidences that are totally out of their control......no one is willing to help them. Our system is so screwed up in this way.

Ok, sorry, didn't mean to rant.

Please say a prayer for hubby his interview goes well.
Thank you.
momma2girls 05:23 PM 12-21-2009
Originally Posted by mac60:
I have not found affordable insurance yet. We have till the end of March before we lose it. I did get one call from an insurance person today and they quoted $368 per month with $5000 deductible. But I honestly don't know how we can afford adding a $368 payment when Dave's income has been cut by $800 per month. I don't think we can. I am not saying that that is too much, just without a job it is not affordable. I will be checking into the COBRA plan also when the time gets closer. Nobody wants to work with you until you are just weeks from no coverage.

Dave has a job interview tomorrow, and we are praying really hard he gets it. We have sent out over 30 resumes and this is the only call he has gotten.

Former Teacher.......I totally agree. I am very tired of hearing the single mom/parent syndrome. I am not sure that the rest of us should be responsible for those that made poor choices in their life. While I do agree that situations come up and marriages have to be dissolved, I also feel that that marriage couldn't of been "that bad" if you have 5 kids.

People totally abuse the system, and then when the hardworking person who has paid into the system for many years needs help, they are basically told tough luck.

I have a dear friend who about 8 years ago had a series of situations happen with her family......
To make a long story short.......
Her 3 year old son stepped out of a little swimming pool and feel into the riding mower engine his dad was working on and test driving around the yard. The little boys hand went into the pulleys and it cut off 4 of his fingers. He was air lifted to a city 4 hours away, and spent I am not sure how many weeks in the hospital. After failed attempts to reattach the fingers, he now has 2 on his right hand. Mom was out of work for weeks to care for him and be at the hospital with him. About 3 weeks after 3 yr old came home, dad had a heart attack at age 41 and had stents put in. He was off for several weeks. He got back to work by maybe a few weeks, and then my friend broke her foot and was off work for weeks for that. It was just one unfortunate thing after another. My friend told me that they went thru every avenue they could to get help, food stamps, churches, trying to get an electric bill or gas bill paid, and they got NOTHING. No one would help them. They came very close to losing their home.

My point is.....we continue to help those that abuse the system, then when hardworking Americans have a series of incidences that are totally out of their control......no one is willing to help them. Our system is so screwed up in this way.

Ok, sorry, didn't mean to rant.

Please say a prayer for hubby his interview goes well.
Thank you.
I sure will for you!! IT would be awful for either one of us, losing a job, even worse the one with the benefits for the whole family.
Thank GOd my husband has been at his job for over 11 yrs. but in this job market, that doesn't mean anything!!!!
Good luck to you!!!!
Former Teacher 05:39 PM 12-21-2009
Mac...we ALL are praying for you. Keep us posted!
gbcc 05:57 PM 12-21-2009
Originally Posted by mac60:
I have a dcf, mom works at a medical center and just remarried. Between the 2 of them, they make I am sure over $30 per hour. Mom is a nurse. Apparently they took dcg to th ER this weekend. Step dad mentioned at pickup that they were glad dcg was put on Medicaid before they got married in October. I am like what the hell, mom has insurance at med. group, (she has mentioned to me before she thought it was too expensive on the weekly premiums) just doesn't want to pay the premium, so now gets free medical from the state. This just isn't right, especially when they have a combined hourly wage of over $30 per hour. This is what pisses me off about the system. People abuse it and get away with it. Damn, I would love to have free medical insurance too, but will never happen. Hell, in 2 1/2 mo my family won't have any. How do these loopholes happen, it simply isn't right.
The way they did it was, since they were not married it went on only her income. Once she became married she should have reported the change of income. Obviously she did not because had she done this, they would have cut her off. They only make them re certify every year so this scam can go on for awhile.

I used to be friends with this person (who I am no longer friends with bc she scams the system). She is a single white mother with 2 bi racial children. Dad, no where in the picture and had 7 other children. Yep, not a typo. Anyways... she worked for her cousin who paid her half on the books, half off. The money that was paid off the books went into her mothers savings account so it could not be traced to her. So on the books it looked like she made $8 per hour for 20 hours per wk to support a family of 3. She lived in a 1 bedroom apartment that was completely paid for, got $450 in food stamps, free medical and then an extra $70 for soap and hygene products. Ready for the best part?? She was going to school to be a police officer!! lol, scamming the system and trying to get into it at the same time!

I don't think I could face myself let alone my children.
mac60 03:25 AM 12-22-2009
Wow, what peeves me is how people can drive nice newer vehicles and have a $275 mo car payment, yet bitch about health insurance coverage that will cost them $120 per mo. That is rediculous.
Unregistered 04:59 AM 12-22-2009
i got one for you....

my mom is a HHA and does private duty. the woman whom she cares for now is "mentally disabled" she not only gets her care paid for, she's on food stamps, medicaid, and gets her rent paid.

she has 6 million dollars (yes, you read that right) in her bank account. but because she is classified "disabled" she qualifies for these services.

I don't understand it.......
kiddiecare 09:32 AM 12-22-2009
I'd like to know what happened to the 'new' policies the state was suppose to impose, such as not being able to be on assistance for more than 5 years (i think that was the #), that the person has to be working or going to training classes that the state provides to receive benefits, so far i still see woman staying at home not working and have baby after baby to continue getting their free living. Personaly i think EVERY person on assistance should have to take a drug and alcohol test before getting any help.
Since my hubby and i split this summer i had to get assistance, we have four kids and even with his childsupport i wasnt able to make it, I own an older vehicle, i buy all my clothes used and i dont spend excessively. I work 5 days a week from 5am till 4:30 pm. yet i am still below the poverty level, i report all my income to the state even though itd be easy not to, when i got a new dck that was paying $30 a week i reported that. I'm embarressed to be getting fs but untill i get more kids enrolled i have no choice. Not everyone abuses the sytem but so far most that i've seen do, and those that are really trying to do right and really need the help get denied because those that are using the system are taking all the help. This government is whacked
momofsix 11:40 AM 12-22-2009
Mac60,
praying for your husband's interview. keep us posted either way.
Former Teacher 02:22 PM 12-22-2009
Originally Posted by kiddiecare:
I'd like to know what happened to the 'new' policies the state was suppose to impose, such as not being able to be on assistance for more than 5 years (i think that was the #), that the person has to be working or going to training classes that the state provides to receive benefits, so far i still see woman staying at home not working and have baby after baby to continue getting their free living. Personaly i think EVERY person on assistance should have to take a drug and alcohol test before getting any help.
Since my hubby and i split this summer i had to get assistance, we have four kids and even with his childsupport i wasnt able to make it, I own an older vehicle, i buy all my clothes used and i dont spend excessively. I work 5 days a week from 5am till 4:30 pm. yet i am still below the poverty level, i report all my income to the state even though itd be easy not to, when i got a new dck that was paying $30 a week i reported that. I'm embarressed to be getting fs but untill i get more kids enrolled i have no choice. Not everyone abuses the sytem but so far most that i've seen do, and those that are really trying to do right and really need the help get denied because those that are using the system are taking all the help. This government is whacked
I am sorry Kiddie Care that people who abuse the system make it so difficult for people out there like you.

My sister when she got divorced in 1997 she had 2 young girls to support. Well the ex's child support wasn't kicked in yet so she applied for food stamps. She got a measly $150.00. That former co worker I spoke about earlier gets close to $950 if not more A MONTH.

When the support finally kicked in about 2 months later...guess what? Yes, she had to pay it back to the government.

And speaking of the government, when is this government going to start taking care of it's OWN citizens and not everyone else's? You know what I mean
gbcc 03:41 PM 12-22-2009
Originally Posted by kiddiecare:
Well.. your first problem is that all your children were from the same father and you made the mistake of marrying him!

Seriously though, to answer your question about only being able to get assistance for more than 5 years. I checked into why this was about a year ago when the "friend" I wrote about earlier was abusing the system. The answer I got was this. The services are paid by the state and the county. The state puts the 5 year gap on it so what happens is once the 5 years is up, the county picks up the entire tab, not just part of it.
SimpleMom 09:55 AM 12-23-2009
We have ins. through the state at this time. We both work very hard to make ends meet. My husband was laid off last year and used unemployment for about 3-6 months while looking for work. He found a job that he makes much less at, is out of his career (so he's been training in again for something different), and they only offer ins. for employees (which is better than nothing).

We do pay a premium, although it's about $200.00 less than it would be to find a program that if we even could, would put us even more into the hole and we'd lose our home for sure. We are working on a plan to cut costs (and the last to go is the internet and cell phone). We don't have tv, we have a car payment (which is the only other thing we can cut back on before sellin our home--or losing it) so I can get the kids to school, grocery store etc., and one beater car he takes to work.

Most of our home is furnished with hand-me-downs, I buy clothes if they are on clearance and at the thrift store. I work my butt off for over 50 hours a week. My husband puts in over 50 hours per week, but our combined yearly income reaches about $40,000.

We hope to be able to afford to find ins. for me and our kids in two years...if all goes well. Who knows, maybe his work will be able to add that on to the benefits someday. Honestly, he has a great employer right now and they have been such a blessing to us. I can't complain.

Anyway, point is I hope that doesn't constitute "abusing" the system, The last two weeks we were strapped for food. How's that looking on a childcare provider?? And that's with the ins. discount premium. I would really rather be able to afford our own, but we just can't pull it off right now.

It is too bad that many people do abuse the system--and I've known of a few. It urks me. We do work really hard. I know someone who gets paid by the state to stay at home with her children--and she makes more than I do! How is that right? They have a nice house, two nice cars, get subways to munch on, and trips to Target, etc. WHile we struggle to get clothes, food, and pay our bills. It just bugs me...sorry to rant.

We are so stressed
momma2girls 10:11 AM 12-23-2009
Originally Posted by littlesunshines:
We have ins. through the state at this time. We both work very hard to make ends meet. My husband was laid off last year and used unemployment for about 3-6 months while looking for work. He found a job that he makes much less at, is out of his career (so he's been training in again for something different), and they only offer ins. for employees (which is better than nothing).

We do pay a premium, although it's about $200.00 less than it would be to find a program that if we even could, would put us even more into the hole and we'd lose our home for sure. We are working on a plan to cut costs (and the last to go is the internet and cell phone). We don't have tv, we have a car payment (which is the only other thing we can cut back on before sellin our home--or losing it) so I can get the kids to school, grocery store etc., and one beater car he takes to work.

Most of our home is furnished with hand-me-downs, I buy clothes if they are on clearance and at the thrift store. I work my butt off for over 50 hours a week. My husband puts in over 50 hours per week, but our combined yearly income reaches about $40,000.

We hope to be able to afford to find ins. for me and our kids in two years...if all goes well. Who knows, maybe his work will be able to add that on to the benefits someday. Honestly, he has a great employer right now and they have been such a blessing to us. I can't complain.

Anyway, point is I hope that doesn't constitute "abusing" the system, The last two weeks we were strapped for food. How's that looking on a childcare provider?? And that's with the ins. discount premium. I would really rather be able to afford our own, but we just can't pull it off right now.

It is too bad that many people do abuse the system--and I've known of a few. It urks me. We do work really hard. I know someone who gets paid by the state to stay at home with her children--and she makes more than I do! How is that right? They have a nice house, two nice cars, get subways to munch on, and trips to Target, etc. WHile we struggle to get clothes, food, and pay our bills. It just bugs me...sorry to rant.

We are so stressed
I feel so badly for you!!!! Good luck with everything!!!!
Have a Merry Christmas!!!!
mac60 01:06 PM 12-23-2009
Yes, Merry Christmas!
And no, you are not abusing the system. God Bless you and your family.
Tags:abuse, medicaid, premium, system
Reply Up