Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Reserving Infant Spot
Jenniferdawn 03:06 PM 12-07-2011
I know it has been posted on before but I can't find the thread. I have a mom with a two year old, and pregnant. She wants to have me watch the new baby, but not until next January. (She is due in July and will be home for 6 months with the baby). That seems like such a long time to reserve a spot. Would you do that? What would you charge?
sharlan 03:11 PM 12-07-2011
No, I would not reserve a spot for that long.
Michael 05:14 PM 12-07-2011
Originally Posted by Jenniferdawn:
I know it has been posted on before but I can't find the thread. I have a mom with a two year old, and pregnant. She wants to have me watch the new baby, but not until next January. (She is due in July and will be home for 6 months with the baby). That seems like such a long time to reserve a spot. Would you do that? What would you charge?
Could it be one of these older posts: https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.p...ot+-+pregnancy
cheerfuldom 08:09 PM 12-07-2011
oh no, I would never hold that spot for that long, thats just plain crazy. I would remain full but, if necessary, let someone go in order to keep the sibling set (should mom stick with her plan to return to work). If it was a family I loved, I would let them know that I plan to have a spot for them and then just make it happen when the time comes. Thats just me but either way, I wouldn't leave an open spot for that long. If you don't feel comfortable letting someone go to make room, let mom know that you can discuss it again when the baby is born. then either have her pay a holding fee if you do have a spot open or let her know she needs to start looking for someone else (so you can then fill just the one spot left by the first child)
VTMom 05:36 AM 12-08-2011
I think it depends on what you'd like for your daycare. For example, I want to keep a small number of children - not the maximum allowed. I would hold the spot especially if big brother/sister were going to be coming beforehand. If you want to maintain a full daycare, this wouldn't work for you.

Keep in mind you will likely receive calls for that infant spot. If you're okay with passing up the income now to help the family out, do it. If you think you'd regret it, don't. Good luck!
caring4kidsinSD 11:38 AM 12-08-2011
Depends if you have room now for an infant and would want one if someone else called for care. But if you didn't have room until Dec/Jan - then I'd hold it especially if the sister is already in your care.

For me I will hold an infant spot for 2-3 months after one becomes available. Any long and you will have to pay for the spot.

I am usually FULL for infant spots and very rarely will I have an opening until someone turns 2. And with the way I fill infant spots, I have an opening about every 6 months.
Tags:holding spot - pregnancy, reserving
Reply Up