Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Payment
mbullette 08:12 AM 04-19-2013
I have a family that is here full time and each week payment is the same amount. Today mom hands me the money which is in an envelope and I say thank you. She leaves and I go on with kids. I just sat down to mark off payments and noticed she shorted me $50.00. This is a parent that complains weekly how expensive childcare is and how she would rather spend the money on other things. I honestly wouldnt be shocked if she did that on purpose. She gets upset very easy and I am wondering how to bring this up to her. I have never had this problem before and I dont want to start a war with her. The littlest issue turns into a full blown war zone with her. I dont want to sound like I am money hungry but I also dont want her to think this is ok.

Has anyone had this before and how do you bring it up to them? I want to e-mail her at work so she brings the money at pick up.

Thanks!
Mom&Provider 08:16 AM 04-19-2013
I've never had to deal with this before, but I think you need to get in touch with her now and let her know. Can you call her at work vs emailing?

If she does get upset easy, I can see it coming up that she didn't short you and you aren't telling the truth...so maybe be ready for something like that.
LaLa1923 08:24 AM 04-19-2013
Email or text her, or even call at nap time.
Meeko 08:28 AM 04-19-2013
If a parent gives me cash, I insist they watch as I count it out. I explain to them that it's not that I don't trust them...it's business.

Over the years I have counted and been short and also counted and found they OVER paid in error too. Those few seconds spent counting can save a world of hurt later.

In this case, as she tends to get upset and you wish to avoid that, maybe send her a really upbeat message. ''Hi DCM! I counted the money in the envelope you gave me this morning and noticed it was short $50. Just wanted to let you know! I'm sure it was an oversight....no problem...just bring it tonight. Have a great day!"

Then always count it in front of her from now on.
Blackcat31 08:30 AM 04-19-2013
I would definitely text/call her immediately and bring it to her attention.

I would just say, "Hi Sally, say just a heads up but the envelope you handed me this morning was short by $50. I am sure it was an oversight on your part, but it will need to be paid today in order to avoid any late fees or loss of services. Thanks"

When you get shorted what is due to you, you are NOT making a big deal out of it.

You have every right to expect payment when it's due and in the full amount.

I certainly wouldn't worry about her being mad. You should be mad NOT her.

If she contracted for services, then she needs to pay them....regardless of how expensive she thinks it is.
mbullette 08:35 AM 04-19-2013
It was a check and I have not cashed it. She is a school teacher and has asked that I e-mail during the day. I called her once and she got really upset. I also have her contract that states what the weekly total is and it has not changed since he started coming here. I know people make mistakes but honestly when she complains every week it makes me wonder.
MarinaVanessa 08:39 AM 04-19-2013
I do things a bit differently so I would both email her, text her and if I didn't hear a response within an hour I would then call her. I know there are a lot of providers that don't text or email but honestly I do it so that I have a written paper trail just in case things were to get so bad that I needed to go to court over something or if licensing got involved.

My Email:
Dear Shorted Me Sally,
I just now sat down to record my payments and when I opened your envelop and counted the amount it only had $100 instead of $150. It was short by $50. Please bring the other remaining balance owed of $50 today when you come to pick little Johnny up.

As a reminder there is a late payment fee of $10 per day added to your account when fees are not paid when due. Please make sure to bring your payment today [at pick-up, before closing time etc.] in order to avoid the late payment fee. If this payment is made tomorrow Saturday April 20, 2013 your balance will be $60. If it is paid on Sunday April 21, 2013 your balance will be $70. If it is paid on Monday morning at drop off April 22, 2013 your balance will be $80. Etc.

Thank you for your promptness on this matter. Please let me know that you got this email and confirm with me when payment will be made.

Signed
Peeved Provider

My Text:
Hi Sally. Just counted the money in your envelop and it's short $50. Sent you an email. Call me, let me know when you'll be dropping off the remainder. Thanks.

Then in an hour if I didn't get a response I'd call her cell phone first and if she didn't answer I'd leave a short message "Hi Sally. This is Peeved Provider again. Just calling to make sure you got my text and email about the shorted payment from today. Call me. Thanks."

And then I'd immediately try calling her work. I would do it all to make sure that she knew I wasn't letting it slide. It's an inconvenience to me so I'd make it an inconvenience for her. I hate chasing my money but that does not mean that I won't.

PS: Did the child miss any days (absences) that would somehow make DCM think that she could possibly get away with not paying you your full amount? Not that it's a reason or anything, just wondering if there was something behind why she did it or if it was a random thing on her end. Just not sure how you miss putting in $50 KWIM? $5 or even $10 I can understand. Heck I can even understand miscounting and accidentally missing a $20 bill but $50 ... I mean really .
MarinaVanessa 08:45 AM 04-19-2013
Originally Posted by mbullette:
It was a check and I have not cashed it. She is a school teacher and has asked that I e-mail during the day. I called her once and she got really upset. I also have her contract that states what the weekly total is and it has not changed since he started coming here. I know people make mistakes but honestly when she complains every week it makes me wonder.
Wow a check. Makes me lean towards it being intentional then. If it were cash then it would be different. Why put a check in an envelope??

I mean it's easy to miscount cash ... not so easy to forget how to spell out and write out an amount that has been paid to your regularly for some time now KWIM. In this situation I'd go out of my way to go to my bank and cash the check immediately ... not deposit it. If you can get a photocopy of it or take a photo of it with your phone. I would be cautious that this DCM makes a stink about it and then calls in to have it canceled. At least this way that part of the payment is in your hand and if she doesn't pay up you are only owed the remainder of the balance ($50 + late fees).
mamac 08:54 AM 04-19-2013
I dont want to sound like I am money hungry but I also dont want her to think this is ok.
I wouldn't worry about what she may think of you for wanting the money she owes you. You are running a business. You earned it. Would anyone else be considered money hungry if their employer shorted them $50 in their paycheck? I agree with the others here... Go get your money and don't think twice about how it makes you look to her. Not your problem. And I would definitely charge a late fee if she doesn't show up with the payment at pickup.
frugalmama4 09:05 AM 04-19-2013
Oh, I hate that she did this...I'm sure it was an "oversight"

I agree with everyone else...you need to text/email her.

As MarinaVanessa said "cash the check" before she try's to cancel it...BUT GO TO HER BANK NOT YOURS....this way if she does place a stop pay...your bank won't charge you any fees.

If it was me...I would text her "letting her know an email was/will be sent also"
I would also, email her "letting her know a text was/will be sent"

Good Luck....and I wish you a Happy Friday!!!
MarinaVanessa 09:49 AM 04-19-2013
Originally Posted by frugalmama4:
As MarinaVanessa said "cash the check" before she try's to cancel it...BUT GO TO HER BANK NOT YOURS....this way if she does place a stop pay...your bank won't charge you any fees.
That makes a lot of sense . I concur. Go to her bank, not yours.
TheGoodLife 10:07 AM 04-19-2013
Ahh, good luck! Bad part is you can't go to cash the check before pick up, to make sure she doesn't stop it! I make a copy of my checks (especially if you think she might cancel it) before you try to cash it, so you have record of the check in case worse comes to worse!
DaisyMamma 05:28 PM 04-20-2013
What did she say?
I don't think a parent should complain weekly about daycare rates. Its very rude and would make me uncomfortable. I would have to put an end to that rather quickly.
Sounds like this mom gets upset rather easily. She was upset you called her at work? What if her kid were sick or hurt? I'm sure you didn't call her just to chat. LOL
MyAngels 05:34 PM 04-20-2013
I've had a parent write a check for $25 underpayment, and I've had a parent write a check for $100 overpayment. Both were mistakes on their part and were rectified the same day.

I am interested to find out the rest of the story on this one. Any update?
dave4him 05:48 PM 04-20-2013
I would give them a receipt showing the amount due at the bottom.
Starburst 11:14 PM 04-20-2013
I would try to be as civil as possible at first but if she complained again I would tell her "Well I am just trying to earn a living like you are." And if she continues "if you can't afford me maybe this isn't the best place for you." Especially is she is saying she would "rather spend the money on other things" and continues to pay you less then the agreed amount. Yea I am sure that a lot of parents would rather spend that money on something else, but as my teachers would say "If it wasn't for your job, they wouldn't be able to do their job."

At the FCC I used to work for there was one single mom who would always make a production about how much the daycare cost, Her daughter also had a lot of tantrum issues; I once saw DCM dragging DCG out of Wal-Mart kicking and screaming. Supposedly the mom would always say she was going to kill herself if she had to keep paying high daycare rates. Um.... well, no one told you that you had to pick one of the most expensive daycares in town! She left multiple times due to payment issues or switching her schedule around (she was a nurse) but she kept coming back. I was always surprised the provider didn't term DCM or not allow her back for the lack of respect DCM showed her.
mbullette 08:27 AM 04-22-2013
I sent her an e-mail and also sent her a text message. She never responded which I figured she wouldn't. She got here and acted like nothing was wrong. I told her that the amount she paid was not correct and showed her the check. She argued with me for 20 mins saying it was the correct amount. I showed her the days and times he was here and told her the correct amount. She went to the atm and brought the money back. She did inform me that she was giving her 2 weeks notice and she was going to find a sitter that was not greedy about money. I told her thank you for the payment and good luck finding a new sitter.

She showed up today and acted like nothing ever happened. She did tell me they found a new sitter who is cheaper and they really like her. I just said I am glad they found someone. I am not sad this boy is leaving because he is not the easiest child to watch. Good luck to the new sitter!!
Blackcat31 08:42 AM 04-22-2013
I sent her an e-mail and also sent her a text message. She never responded which I figured she wouldn't. She got here and acted like nothing was wrong. I told her that the amount she paid was not correct and showed her the check. She argued with me for 20 mins saying it was the correct amount. I showed her the days and times he was here and told her the correct amount. She went to the atm and brought the money back. She did inform me that she was giving her 2 weeks notice and she was going to find a sitter that was not greedy about money. I told her thank you for the payment and good luck finding a new sitter.

She showed up today and acted like nothing ever happened. She did tell me they found a new sitter who is cheaper and they really like her. I just said I am glad they found someone. I am not sad this boy is leaving because he is not the easiest child to watch. Good luck to the new sitter!!
Well, at least you don't have to argue with someone for your money now.

I feel bad for her new sitter.....hope she gets paid on time and the full amount.

We (as a nation) are ok with paying men millions of dollars per year to toss a ball around but then have the audacity to try and negotiate the cheapest possible rate for our offspring.

Yah! American values at their finest.
Reply Up