Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Picking Your Brains
Msdunny 06:16 AM 01-14-2014
When I opened last year, I had 2 4 yr olds and 2 3 yr. olds. I did 'preschool' type activities with them because it helped with filling time, and they could handle the structure.

Fast forward to this year - I have 2 3 yr. olds, 2 2 yr olds, and a 1 yr old ( may be adding a second 1 yr. old in a month or so).

If you had this age spread, what would your day look like? I can tell you what I do, but wanted to see others' responses to see if I am on target.

Thanks in advance!
Unregistered 06:23 AM 01-14-2014
I do not do preschool until they have reached age 3 in September. I feel 2 years of it is enough. Young children need to be playing and being kids at the younger ages. I just make sure there are age appropriate activities for them to do. We also listen to music cd's books on cd, etc. I try to change out the activities available every couple days. Also I will put the 2's in highchairs with a age appropriate table activity so they can learn to sit and do things for a short time span. Young kids learn so much thru play.
coolconfidentme 06:29 AM 01-14-2014
Currently mine are ALL under 3. We play most of the day with blocks, indoor kitchen, indoor slide, ride big wheels, car, dolls, etc. My current group isn't ready for crayons yet...., they eat them!
melilley 07:10 AM 01-14-2014
I have 2 almost 18 mo. olds, 2 2yo and one 3 yo. I don't really do preschool activities, but will let the older 2 yo and 3 yo. sit at my kitchen table and do "older" activities. Sometimes I will take the 3 yo aside and ask her things because I have to for our STARS program.

I do have a circle time where everyone is encouraged to participate in, but it's not mandatory. The 3 yo. sits the whole time while the others are hit and miss. I do a theme of the week that we talk about in circle, letter, and color of the week and count in circle, plus we read and sing. Funny thing is, is the younger ones who you don't think are paying attention, they really are. One day I was counting and my ds who was about 14 mo. at the time, was in another area of the room and when I looked over, he was holding up fingers while I was counting! He also did some actions to a song. They really are listening all the time!

I also do art and/or sensory around 10 and everyone can choose to participate.

We mostly learn while we are playing!
SilverSabre25 07:16 AM 01-14-2014
right now I have: homeschooled 6 yo (mine), 5 yo who goes to preschool 4 days a week from 12:45 to 3:45 (gone 12:15 to 4:15), 2.5 yo (mine), 19 mos, and 10 mos.

I school the 6 yo, the 5 yo and 2.5 play all morning, and the babies play. ordinarily with the 5 I would be doing presschool/learning stuff but not with the amount he's already in school, kwim? i like to see him get plenty of the free, unstructured, PLAY time.
earlystart 08:05 AM 01-14-2014
I would personally do preschool activities with the 2 and 3 year olds - you just do age appropriate things. And let the 1 year olds do their own thing or let them join if they want to. Like someone else mentioned, it may seem like the 1-2 year olds aren't paying attention but they are always picking up everything you expose them to, so you might as well expose them to "preschool" curriculum. When I started my youngest was 15 months, the rest were 18 mos - 2.5/almost 3. I still did morning circle time, morning preschool tabletop teacher-directed activity (usually art project, math, or science/sensory). The rest of the day is filled with free play, nap, and meal times.
mia 09:03 AM 01-14-2014
Originally Posted by earlystart:
I would personally do preschool activities with the 2 and 3 year olds - you just do age appropriate things. And let the 1 year olds do their own thing or let them join if they want to. Like someone else mentioned, it may seem like the 1-2 year olds aren't paying attention but they are always picking up everything you expose them to, so you might as well expose them to "preschool" curriculum. When I started my youngest was 15 months, the rest were 18 mos - 2.5/almost 3. I still did morning circle time, morning preschool tabletop teacher-directed activity (usually art project, math, or science/sensory). The rest of the day is filled with free play, nap, and meal times.

Josiegirl 10:11 AM 01-14-2014
My group ranges from 19 months- 3 1/2(she attends a preschool 3 a.m.'s a week. I don't have the structure or labels of a preschool setting but I offer them lots of learning experiences and sensory play. They take the lead some days. For instance we were coloring on our chalkboard divider this a.m. and my just turned 3 yo was making A's so we worked on the letters in her name. Another dcg will turn 2 next week, we were reading a book this a.m. that talked about colors so we went all around the house searching out different colors, looking at what we were all wearing. We find all sorts of teaching moments during our day, following the dcks' interests and activities.
IMO, there is so much for them to learn at this age, academics is only a small part of that. You have to do what you feel is right for your particular group.
harperluu 10:50 AM 01-14-2014
I do preschool activities as well, but very few "projects." More open ended art. I usually come up with one structured activity each morning. Floor puzzle, sorting, a simple game, etc. I let them color on long sheets of newsprint on the floor while playing classical music or throw snow in bins and let them dig with their mittens on.

We do group/storytime each morning as well.
Reply Up