Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>OT: Singulair and ENT Questions
kitkat 09:28 AM 04-03-2014
Our allergist just put DD on Singulair to see if it will help with this sniffle she's had for 2 months now. I didn't think to ask at the appt how long before we should notice if it is working or not. Stuff I've read online says a week to a month. Does anyone have experience with Singulair for allergies and how long did it take to notice if it was working?

We are scheduled to see an ear, nose, and throat dr next week. The pediatrician wants to have DD's adenoids checked to see if that is causing the sniffling. Again, didn't think to ask at the appt how they check, so I looked it up online. It looks like they stick something in the nose. Do they numb the nose first? It seems like it would be super uncomfortable. Is it? I'm sure DD will handle it well. Not so sure about me
countrymom 10:34 AM 04-03-2014
my ds is on sigular. I notice within 3 days his nose stopped running like a faucet and he stopped snorting up his snot lol! We did an allergy test to see if he was allergic to anything because for months he would just run, well as it turned out, he's allergic to corn dander, well I live in the county were we are surrounded by corn fields. His problem is that so are the schools and they get in the air vents and thats why it lasts so long (we have wheat behind us)

as for the scope I hear they numb the nose area. Could she have a narrow nasal passage too.
kitkat 11:03 AM 04-03-2014
Originally Posted by countrymom:
Could she have a narrow nasal passage too.
I don't know about the nasal passage.

DD is allergic to dogs, cats, and ragweed. For fun she throws in a little eczema This same time last year she had what I thought was a sinus infection, but pediatrician said allergy flare up and treat with zyrtec. That took care of it right away. This time pediatrician said it was a sinus infection, so we did ammox. That took care of some congestion, but the sniffles stayed. Then we tried Claritin. No change. Added nasonex and switched to Allegra. No change. Stopped Allegra to do skin testing for indoor allergens and molds. Negative. Now we are doing AM and PM dose of Claritin, nasal washes, nasonex, and Singulair to see if anything changes prior to the ENT appt. The amount of sniffing is INSANE!!! I don't think it is a habit because when we stopped the Allegra her nose finally started running and she started sneezing, which wasn't happening before. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the Singulair does the trick soon. We all need a little relief from this!
Luvnmykidz 05:27 PM 04-03-2014
My kids all have allergy issues. My youngest two are on singulair and have been for quite some time. With my ds 4 we noticed changes in about a week. He had several allergies that were triggers as well as asthma issues. With my dd 7, it took a few weeks to notice a change. She also has severe asthma, allergies and immune issues. As for the scope the ENT placed dd in a chair in front of a tv and first told her he was going to give her a spray to numb her nose and it wouldn't hurt. He then showed her the scope and told her it was a camera and she could see in thru her nose on the tv if she sat really still. She did and they decided she needed her tonsils and adenoids removed.
kitkat 07:10 PM 04-03-2014
Originally Posted by Luvnmykidz:
My kids all have allergy issues. My youngest two are on singulair and have been for quite some time. With my ds 4 we noticed changes in about a week. He had several allergies that were triggers as well as asthma issues. With my dd 7, it took a few weeks to notice a change. She also has severe asthma, allergies and immune issues. As for the scope the ENT placed dd in a chair in front of a tv and first told her he was going to give her a spray to numb her nose and it wouldn't hurt. He then showed her the scope and told her it was a camera and she could see in thru her nose on the tv if she sat really still. She did and they decided she needed her tonsils and adenoids removed.
Thank you! That was very helpful and reassuring!
Tags:ent, singulair
Reply Up