Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Things are changing for Virginia
Cozy_Kids_Childcare 03:30 AM 02-09-2015
I was reading an article in the newspaper yesterday about things that are going to change if passed in the general assembly. Right now you do not have to be licensed if caring for 5 kids or less and your own children do not count in those numbers. Now if you are licensed your kids do count in your points to determine if you need an assistant. However, both licensed and unlicensed can accept federal subsidy. This is one of things that will change. They will require anyone accepting subsidy to be licensed. They will also require fingerprint background checks. It seems like they are making it harder for licensed providers but providers like me who are exempt because I only have 4 kids still don't have really any regulations.

The article also gave the number of deaths in licensed v/s unlicensed.
51 deaths since 2004 in unregulated (unlicensed) daycare v/s 18 in licensed in the same 10-year period. They also stated that 2014 was the deadliest yet with 9-deaths. This is so extremely sad.

The main reason stated for not making everyone be licensed was that they didn't want to intrude on a parents right to decide which daycare option is best for them since cost is usually the number 1 focus for parents when picking a daycare. Licensed providers charge more and rightfully so because they have many hoops to jump where I dont.

I am considering getting licensed because I really think that will make me feel more professional and I really think clients treat you differently when licensed.
Reply Up