Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Downsizing Home Daycare
Unregistered 08:14 AM 09-22-2019
Hello All,

My husband and I are considering downsizing our home daycare. Our daughter is 7 and going through puberty (yes you read that right) and what used to be her favorite part of our home is now a massive emotional trigger. We are currently maxed out at 12 children and our house is more commotion than she can handle. We want to halve this number. Our goal is 6 full time slots for just the younger children. Has anyone gone about letting go of children for personal reasons?

We love our kids, we’ve helped raise most of them for their entire lives. But we have to pick our daughter over another’s child.
Blackcat31 09:10 AM 09-22-2019
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Hello All,

My husband and I are considering downsizing our home daycare. Our daughter is 7 and going through puberty (yes you read that right) and what used to be her favorite part of our home is now a massive emotional trigger. We are currently maxed out at 12 children and our house is more commotion than she can handle. We want to halve this number. Our goal is 6 full time slots for just the younger children. Has anyone gone about letting go of children for personal reasons?

We love our kids, we’ve helped raise most of them for their entire lives. But we have to pick our daughter over another’s child.
Isn’t your daughter in school during the day?

People do what they need to do but your post seems to imply you are changing your entire life and reducing your income solely because of your daughters dislike of daycare.

Why not teach her to adjust to change? Even if it's something she doesn’t like? She’ll need that skill her whole life.
Unregistered 09:21 AM 09-22-2019
She is in school until 2:30, this is also when the second half of our daycare children get off the bus and head to our home as well. We don’t have all of them all day. We want to have our home be more of a home for her. Because she is 7 going through a biological, hormonal change that most girls don’t go through until at least 3 years later. Something she is not developmentally capable of handling in a reasonable manner, or can be expected to deal with and get over.

Income is my problem and will be adjusted for.

I am asking if anyone has downsized their number for personal reasons and if so, do they have any advice?
lblanke 11:29 AM 09-22-2019
Your daughter is only going to go through puberty once. If you need to be there for her, then that is a good decision. Do what is best for her and your family.

You really don't owe a big explanation. "For personal reasons (or family obligations) , XYZ daycare will be closing at 2:30 PM for the foreseeable future" or "will no longer be accepting afterschool care. We have enjoyed being part of your child's life and are sad that we will no longer be able to offer you services effective xx date. Thank you for your understanding."
lblanke 11:32 AM 09-22-2019
And, of course, make sure your daughter has a medial evaluation and is receiving any medical or behavioral health/therapy/counseling services that might be indicated (which I am sure you are already doing).
Cat Herder 08:18 AM 09-23-2019
I completed puberty at 8. Menstrual cycle, full B-cups and was way taller than all the boys in my class. The works. It isn't that uncommon with certain DNA. "Puberty starts on average in girls between ages 8 and 13" CDC

If you want to cut down to half ratio and income for your own reasons, that makes sense. It just seems a lot of pressure to put on a child; to put the weight of that decision on her body changes alone.
rosieteddy 08:28 AM 09-23-2019
Wow that must be so hard.Children should get to be kids .As far as letting people know I would just cut down on after school children.That may be the easiest solution you won't be signaling out any specific children that way.
Ariana 09:48 AM 09-23-2019
I am really considering it for personal and family reasons. I started full time care last fall and am finding the 50hrs a week draining. I am in perimenopause and my 10 year old is starting some changes (nothing serious yet but it is coming). I cannot handle the stress anymore and to be honest the extra income is not worth it. I want to be there for my family and myself.

Anyway I am making a plan to either drop down to part time kids only in either January or June. I might tell my full time parents in January and give them until June to find care. If they leave earlier, great! I also might just quit altogether in June and take a few months off and regroup. I have not formally decided just yet. Going to hoard my money for the time being.

Anyway nothing wrong with revamping your business for personal reasons. I took a year off with my youngest in 2014 and came back in 2015 with no problems. It is kind of the beauty of childcare, we are always in demand.
Tags:downsizing, home daycare, terminating care
Reply Up