Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Kids Who Kick During Diaper Changes
WImom 09:55 AM 03-23-2011
how do you deal with this? (I change on the floor and DCB is 2.5y).
daycare 10:02 AM 03-23-2011
My daughter used to do that and it drove me nuts... I was taught to softly grab both legs and say kicking is not ok and it hurts me, please do not kick me.

Well she laughed in my face when I tired that for about 2 weeks.

So back to the drawing board....
this is what worked,,,,,
before we even got into the bathroom, (i did changes on the floor in the bathroom on a washable changing mat) I would tell her. it is time to change your diaper now, what song would you like to sing? ABC's ok, great. Every time she forgot about kicking me. fast fix, NOPE that lasted about 3 weeks and I thought HA I did it....

Finally broke her of kicking me in the face when during a diaper change she started kicking me, I said would you like me to change your diaper or leave. I left the bathroom, stood down the hall way and all of a sudden, I heard mommy change me please; yelling a the top of her lungs. I think she sat there on the mat for about a full min or so.

I think some kids just like to test us....lol they wanna see our faces turn red....lol
marniewon 10:03 AM 03-23-2011
Funny you should ask this....I've been trying to break one of kicking during diaper changes too. Mine is only 9 months old, but I change on my bed (which is a little higher than normal) and she catches me right in the stomach.

I know kicking is normal development, but I don't think she needs to practice at that particular time, especially since it makes messy clean ups even harder.

With her I grab her ankles (not hard, just to stop them from kicking) and tell her no kick. I do that until diaper change is done or she stops. It's an ongoing process but I figure at some point she'll get it

As for 2.5 year old, I would think you could do the same and expect him to learn very quickly. Do you know why he's kicking? I would hold his foot still for a second and look him in the face and say sternly, NO KICKING. Then continue on as you were before.
laundrymom 10:40 AM 03-23-2011
I agree, grab their foot and say NO KICK. Release and repeat if needed. Stop, no, and don't are safety words. It is unsafe for them to kick. Put a stop to it.
dEHmom 10:44 AM 03-23-2011
Originally Posted by marniewon:
Funny you should ask this....I've been trying to break one of kicking during diaper changes too. Mine is only 9 months old, but I change on my bed (which is a little higher than normal) and she catches me right in the stomach.

I know kicking is normal development, but I don't think she needs to practice at that particular time, especially since it makes messy clean ups even harder.

With her I grab her ankles (not hard, just to stop them from kicking) and tell her no kick. I do that until diaper change is done or she stops. It's an ongoing process but I figure at some point she'll get it

As for 2.5 year old, I would think you could do the same and expect him to learn very quickly. Do you know why he's kicking? I would hold his foot still for a second and look him in the face and say sternly, NO KICKING. Then continue on as you were before.
yep this is right.

I have this problem with my dcb, he's 1 yo and he's BIG boy. I can't hold his 2 legs with one hand, lol. And he spins himself, so i'm worried he'll break his leg, or i'll leave a hand print trying to hold him. One leg always slips out, and then there's poo smeared everywhere, it's gross. lol.

But he's getting a lot better now. Usually if I just give him a toy he's ok. Just something to distract while I'm cleaning. But if he keeps it up (he's got 2 more weeks to learn that I don't tolerate kicking while I'm changing), then i'm gonna use my shower nozzle and just hose the poo off. hahaha
SandeeAR 10:47 AM 03-23-2011
I use a changing table. As young as 6 mo, when they start trying to turn on their sides or kick, I simply, calmly, turn them back on their backs, and say no. If they are kicking, I again, calmly hold the legs down and say no kicking. They lay still for me while I change them. If you do this EVERY time you change them and start early, they get the idea.

I have watched the same child, be changed by a parent here, and kick and squirm. This happens when the parent shows up early and I haven't gotten to them yet.

Most ppl don't give young babies enough credit for what they can learn. I teach them at 6 months, NOT to grab the bowl or spoon I am feeding them with. I simply remove there hand and place it on the tray with a firm no. After a short while, they stop trying.
Symphony 10:58 AM 03-23-2011
I do the same as most of the posters, I hold legs still and say No Thank You in a firm voice. I ask my kids to stay still the entire change until I stnad them back up and send them on their way. I don't like them trying to take off as soon as their pants are back on, so I make them wait until I stand them up or set them down.
TBird 11:23 AM 03-23-2011
I used to be a "Mother's Helper" for an autistic boy. He was a tall and healthy four year old and he kicked HARD!!! Right in front of mom, I would grab both legs and say in the firmest voice I could muster "DO NOT KICK ME". After about 3 times he never kicked me again. Mom couldn't believe that that's all there was to it, LOL!!!
Abigail 11:34 AM 03-23-2011
I have the same issue sometimes with an almost two year old while being changed. He likes to move his legs more than kick and he also straightens his legs so you can't even clean him well. I have to tell him to stop moving and relax and he usually listens. He really is an on-the-move kind of boy so keeping him occupied and talking to him and asking him how his day is, etc. works best before he gets wiggly.
Tags:diaper change - kicking, diaper changing procedures
Reply Up