Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Frustrated With Inconsiderate Parents
Danielle 05:46 AM 03-23-2011
A little back story..this weekend my whole family had a stomach bug. I only close when I'm not up to caring for daycare kids. So, Monday I closed. Yesterday I was fine but first thing in the morning, DD got sick. I told DCM but she still brought DCG. DS got sick last night. I sent DCM a text letting her know that DS was sick again but I would be open. 8:00 (normal drop of), they're not here. I give them to 8:30 and then I text to see if they are coming. It's now 9:30 and I still haven't heard anything. How hard is it to text back "I'm keeping her home"!? On Sunday I had to send an extra text (after hours of not hearing from her) telling DCM that I needed a text back so I know that she got it (about be closing on Monday).
marniewon 05:57 AM 03-23-2011
I have a part in my contract that says no call/no shows are subject to a $10 fee for each instance. Anymore, you can't assume that dcp's will be respectful and let you know if they are going to be late or not coming.

I went round and round with one family who would wait until after they were supposed to be here to tell me they weren't coming. Or show up an hour late without letting me know. At that time, they were my only family, the only ones I was getting up for! I had to copy my policy, highlight the fee part and give it to them. I never did have to charge the fee, but they did start texting me early enough.
Danielle 04:58 AM 03-24-2011
Day 2 of no show and no call/text. I know I should probably call the mom now but I know I'll just end up putting my foot in my mouth. I don't have a no call/show fee and I JUST updated my handbook so I don't know if now would be the best time to start another new thing. She is my only full timer at the moment. And she's the only one that arrives before 10:00. Especially with the lack of sleep lately...you know how when your kid isn't feeling good, you wake up at every little sound!? ...even an extra half an hour of sleep would have been wonderful. I'm not sure what I should do at this point.
morgan24 05:10 AM 03-24-2011
I like to put them on the spot. I would call and say Hey, I was just checking to see if you were coming? Then no matter what their excuse is I say oh well if it happens again be sure to give me a call. I have never had it happen twice. I think that is just rude for them not to give us a call.

By the way love your picture!
TBird 05:14 AM 03-24-2011
That's just SO RUDE!!!

I had a parent like that and I called her out on it every time. She was also the one who would show up after 10AM, walk in the door and immediately say her son was hungry and thirsty....HUH??? TERMINATED!!!

I would call her....

I like your picture too!!!
Meyou 05:15 AM 03-24-2011
Originally Posted by Danielle:
And she's the only one that arrives before 10:00. Especially with the lack of sleep lately...you know how when your kid isn't feeling good, you wake up at every little sound!? ...even an extra half an hour of sleep would have been wonderful. I'm not sure what I should do at this point.
I'd call and tell her this or some version of it. She's being rude and inconsiderate. A phone call is a reasonable expectation.
wdmmom 05:22 AM 03-24-2011
Given this woman isn't returning your texts, I would pick up the phone. Don't be the least bit surprised if she doesn't answer though. I would definitely leave a message stating that you are concerned and was wondering if everything was alright and if they intend on showing up today. I would also go in to stating that 3 days no call/no show is subject to termination so a phone call is respectfully requested if she intends to continue with services.
Danielle 05:49 AM 03-24-2011
Ok, I will call her. But I'm going to wait till this evening b/c I'm so upset right now that I know I'll say something I'll regret. If she doesn't answer, I'll text her with what I say in a voice mail...so I have record of me saying "3 days no call/no show is subject to termination" ...I like that wdmom. Today...I'll do my best to enjoy my day off with my kiddos.

Thanks about the picture! I have a friend that does photography and that's one of my favorites from our family photo shoot.
boysx5 05:58 AM 03-24-2011
I hate when they are rude I had this happen a day it snowed and I waited and when they didn't call me back and roads were clear out I went and treated myself to shopping and lunch
missnikki 06:00 AM 03-24-2011
You might want to be a hair more specific about what you want...like detail the way she is to notify you, and the time frame you want it in.
I also think you can add a policy anytime a parent takes advantage of a lack of one, no matter how recently you renovated. Just do it and require a signature at the end. (If you do that, she'll most likely get the hint and knock it off.)

Policy suggestion:
If I have not received a call or text by 9:00(or whenever) I will assume ____will not be attending daycare today. After 3 days without notice, I will assume you have found alternate care and your spot will be forfeited. You deposit will be applied toward any unused care, and your balance will be adjusted accordingly.

AND, your pic IS very sweet!
Danielle 06:09 AM 03-24-2011
Originally Posted by missnikki:
You might want to be a hair more specific about what you want...like detail the way she is to notify you, and the time frame you want it in.
I also think you can add a policy anytime a parent takes advantage of a lack of one, no matter how recently you renovated. Just do it and require a signature at the end. (If you do that, she'll most likely get the hint and knock it off.)

Policy suggestion:
If I have not received a call or text by 9:00(or whenever) I will assume ____will not be attending daycare today. After 3 days without notice, I will assume you have found alternate care and your spot will be forfeited. You deposit will be applied toward any unused care, and your balance will be adjusted accordingly.

AND, your pic IS very sweet!
I like your wording! I suck at wording. lol I gave her the new handbook on Tues with a page to sign and return. I haven't heard/seen her since. My first thought is she's looking for new care b/c of the changes but the only changes to the handbook was: adding a supply list (she already has everything here), removing the option for parents to provide meals/snacks (I already feed dcg) and added that children need to be fever free for 24 hours without the aid of medication (that was in reaction to another dcp). Not big changes.
missnikki 06:15 AM 03-24-2011
I like your wording! I suck at wording. lol I gave her the new handbook on Tues with a page to sign and return. I haven't heard/seen her since. My first thought is she's looking for new care b/c of the changes but the only changes to the handbook was: adding a supply list (she already has everything here), removing the option for parents to provide meals/snacks (I already feed dcg) and added that children need to be fever free for 24 hours without the aid of medication (that was in reaction to another dcp). Not big changes.
Then the next time you see her, she'll undoubtedly not have that sheet with her... Just give her a new one with this new policy added, and say, "This may sound odd, but since I am asking you to sign off on my new policies and a new issue has come to light, I just figured I would add it on, so please read this and sign it and you can toss the other one. (Important-) Here's your copy for your records."
Danielle 09:18 AM 03-24-2011
I finally heard from DCM. She's refusing to answer my calls and only wants to talk through texts. I see another handbook amendment in the making! She's terming over this portion of the new handbook:

"I believe mealtime should be a pleasant time; therefore, children are always offered food but are not forced to eat it. I do encourage each child to try one or two bites of everything, and they must eat a little of everything before given seconds of anything. Sometimes they are surprised by what they like! If a child refuses to eat their meal, there will be no food served until the next designated meal/snack time."

She doesn't believe a child should have to wait till the next meal time to eat (2-3 hours!?). And children are raised differently, a daycare provider should understand this and be flexible with meals. Oh! And the chicken, rice and veggies I served Tuesday for lunch is not kid friendly and DCG said it was nasty.

And another change I need to make. Vacation time can not be used for 2 week notice. I'll be out a week's pay for this. Lesson learned.
wdmmom 09:30 AM 03-24-2011
I'd gladly take the loss in a weeks pay just to get rid of that headache!

You aren't a short order cook and you shouldn't be treated as such.
wdmmom 09:32 AM 03-24-2011
Oh...and I serve chicken and rice about once a month and the kids just gobble it right up! Sorry it wasn't a sodium and fat filled Lunchable! LOL
DCMom 09:33 AM 03-24-2011
I finally heard from DCM. She's refusing to answer my calls and only wants to talk through texts. I see another handbook amendment in the making! She's terming over this portion of the new handbook:

"I believe mealtime should be a pleasant time; therefore, children are always offered food but are not forced to eat it. I do encourage each child to try one or two bites of everything, and they must eat a little of everything before given seconds of anything. Sometimes they are surprised by what they like! If a child refuses to eat their meal, there will be no food served until the next designated meal/snack time."

She doesn't believe a child should have to wait till the next meal time to eat (2-3 hours!?). And children are raised differently, a daycare provider should understand this and be flexible with meals. Oh! And the chicken, rice and veggies I served Tuesday for lunch is not kid friendly and DCG said it was nasty.

And another change I need to make. Vacation time can not be used for 2 week notice. I'll be out a week's pay for this. Lesson learned.
Handbooks are a constantly evolving thing, aren't they? Sorry she couldn't be an adult and simply tell you, how childish.
marniewon 09:34 AM 03-24-2011

It takes all kinds, huh? To term because dcm thinks that dcg should be able to what? Graze all day long on only foods that dcg likes and picks??

My dc lunches are like my family dinners - same types of things. Now, maybe steak might not be kid friendly, but chicken, rice, veggies? Yum! I once had a mom text me because her dd loved what I made for lunch and she wanted to know what it was so she could make it at home. It was rice, beef, tomatoes, cheese, etc.

This sounds like her terming might be a blessing in disguise, if she's terming over such ridiculous reasons.
Danielle 09:37 AM 03-24-2011
Now she's saying that she won't be by today to pay. So I told her there's a late fee for vacation pay not received on the day notice is given.

"I'm trying to be as polite as I can but I am not paying you a late fee. You will be lucky if you get payment for this week at all considering you watched her for one day and you starved the poor thing"

Who knew that breakfast (cereal and fruit), snack (gold fish) lunch (chicken, rice, veggies...she ate some), snack (granola bar) was starving a child.

Oh and there's no mention of handbook changes in the contract so I supposedly am breaking the contract.
Danielle 09:43 AM 03-24-2011
I may be crazy but I offered if she paid this week (with late fee) today, I would drop the rest of the fees (1 week pay). I've already dealt with 1 terming parenting fighting to not pay. I don't want to go down that road again. I just want it over now.
Zoe 09:44 AM 03-24-2011
Oh Lord. She sounds like a piece of work. Sigh....I know that when we go through a termination it is an awkward time, but why do some parents have to nitpick their way out of paying? That's so frustrating! I'm sorry you have to deal with this, but at least you will be done with this parent soon!
Danielle 09:57 AM 03-24-2011
Originally Posted by DCMom:
Handbooks are a constantly evolving thing, aren't they? Sorry she couldn't be an adult and simply tell you, how childish.
Crazy thing too is I've been in business for 2 years now and this is the first time I've updated my handbook!
Danielle 09:59 AM 03-24-2011
Now that I offered to drop the "vacation pay" she's gone from, she can't come by today/tonight to pay the bill to her husband should be by before 8:00pm.
TBird 10:00 AM 03-24-2011
Ooooooookay....so let me get this straight....

She termed because the kid has to wait until the next meal to eat??? Uuuuuuuum... what does she think is gonna happen in GRADE SCHOOL???

My son was the pickiest eater alive...the kid wouldn't eat anything unless it was hot, cooked MEAT!!! Did I treat him like a little prince??? Noooooooo....I said "Aw baby...you're gonna have such a hard time in daycare and at school." AND SENT HIM ON HIS MERRY WAY!!! Too bad so sad....he ate if he was hungry enough to eat what they were serving.

Some folks really handicap their children....sorry....JMO.
squareone 10:19 AM 03-24-2011
Now that I offered to drop the "vacation pay" she's gone from, she can't come by today/tonight to pay the bill to her husband should be by before 8:00pm.
You need to add one more change to your handbook: PAY IN ADVANCE!!!
Danielle 10:31 AM 03-24-2011
Originally Posted by squareone:
You need to add one more change to your handbook: PAY IN ADVANCE!!!
You're right! I have it now as pay on 1st day of care but that's obviously not working!
missnikki 01:13 PM 03-24-2011
Aw mamma Dani, this mom is a real piece of work...or as Bugs Bunny would say, "What a Maroon." When this is said and done, you will have paid a weeks pay to find a couple of gaping contract loopholes. Small price, considering. I'm sorry!
Nebula 09:44 PM 10-09-2013
Oh! And the chicken, rice and veggies I served Tuesday for lunch is not kid friendly and DCG said it was nasty.

How dare.... you serve healthy food lol.
Maria2013 05:26 AM 10-10-2013
Ok, I will call her. But I'm going to wait till this evening b/c I'm so upset right now that I know I'll say something I'll regret. If she doesn't answer, I'll text her with what I say in a voice mail...so I have record of me saying "3 days no call/no show is subject to termination" ...I like that wdmom. Today...I'll do my best to enjoy my day off with my kiddos.

Thanks about the picture! I have a friend that does photography and that's one of my favorites from our family photo shoot.
I know this woman is your only full timer but look at what she is doing to you...is it really worth it?
Don't be afraid to standi up for your rights, you can get your point across without being rude but you need to say something.... cause by saying nothing, you are telling her that her behavior is acceptable
you know you deserve better!
daycarediva 05:30 AM 10-10-2013
old thread guys!
Maria2013 05:33 AM 10-10-2013
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
old thread guys!
oh well, it might turns out to be helpful to someone else
Reply Up