Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Wwyd?
KEG123 11:18 AM 04-07-2011
I just turned 12 weeks pregnant today. I have an interview for a 16 month old. I haven't told many people IRL including family because of my previous loss. Now I'm debating on whether or not I need to bring it up to this family tonight during their interview, and if so, how? Technically I'm over the 1st trimester "hump" but still dont know if I want to tell.. For mat leave I plan to take my two week vacation back to back after baby is born and then hire a family member or assistant a few hours a day as needed (possibly another 2 weeks)
KEG123 11:50 AM 04-07-2011
Bump. Anyone?
SilverSabre25 11:54 AM 04-07-2011
Until you're ready to tell IRL, I wouldn't think it necessary to tell daycare families. Just my opinion.
momatheart 11:56 AM 04-07-2011
I wouldn't say a word. Just like you wouldn't say anything if you went out to interview for a job outside the home. It is none of their business. Not yet anyway. Many women don't even know they are pregnant at this time.
MyAngels 11:56 AM 04-07-2011
Maybe you could let the family know that you plan on expanding your family at some point, and how you will handle maternity leave, so that they at least know it's a possibility. I started my daycare after my kids were born, so I never had to worry about this, so that's just my first thought on the subject.
cheerfuldom 12:00 PM 04-07-2011
I wouldn't say anything. First of all, let them tour and interview and see if you all are a good fit. THEN figure out how you will address this if you decide to take this kid. Tell ALL your DC families at the same time in the same way. Two weeks vacation and an assistant should not affect the families at all so it shouldn't be a deciding factor. You still have the trial period and months to go so a lot can happen until then.
Live and Learn 12:27 PM 04-07-2011
Originally Posted by MyAngels:
Maybe you could let the family know that you plan on expanding your family at some point, and how you will handle maternity leave, so that they at least know it's a possibility. I started my daycare after my kids were born, so I never had to worry about this, so that's just my first thought on the subject.
This exactly!!
....let's say they start with you in two weeks and then two weeks later you are ready to tell the world....they might feel deceived. I think you are concerned about that too....thus this thread.

Best to mention that you plan on having another one at some point and tell them in detail about your maternity leave policy.

By the way Congratulations!!!!
KEG123 12:33 PM 04-07-2011
I asked a couple mommy friends and they said they'd want to know asap so they can plan accordingly for the two weeks off. But... I still don't think I'm ready to tell, but also don't want to lead them to think I'm NOT pregnant. Maybe I'll get a feel for them tonight and if we continue forward with enrollment, let them know then, so they still have an "out" time.
Crystal 01:00 PM 04-07-2011
As hard as it may be for you, I think it would be unfair not to let them know. They may choose to find someone else if they know they will have to have back up in 6 months.

Congratulations and Best Wishes for a happy, healthy pregnancy!
cheerfuldom 01:11 PM 04-07-2011
most providers take vacation time so two weeks off, for whatever reason should not be an issue. Especially since they will get months to plan a backup.
Crystal 01:34 PM 04-07-2011
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
most providers take vacation time so two weeks off, for whatever reason should not be an issue. Especially since they will get months to plan a backup.
Yes, I agree, but realistically she won't know EXACTLY when she'll need the two weeks off, so it could become an issue-for the family AND the provider.

I know as a parent, I would want to know so that I could make the choice myself.
KEG123 04:14 PM 04-07-2011
I did not tell them. If they want to enroll, I will tell them before hand that I will just be using my two weeks vacay at that time.
KEG123 07:20 AM 04-08-2011
Yay they e-mailed me back and they want to start!! SO I sent back another e-mail saying this.... What do you think??

One other thing I want to be completely honest with you about is that I am 12 weeks pregnant. I hope this doesn't cause any problems with you wanting to bring your son here. I didn't know if I should bring it up yesterday, but I wanted to see how things went and go from there. My pregnancy with my son was very uneventful and what you would call and "easy pregnancy." I will work up until the day I go into labor which will be in late October, as I am due Oct 20th. (I may even go late- my son was 4 days late) I hope with giving you such a far in advance notice, it should not be a problem. I will take my two weeks unpaid vacation time we spoke of and use it as my "maternity leave." After the two weeks, I will possibly have my son's grandmother help out for 2 weeks or as needed thereafter. She is an RN and so thus very dependable and great with children.
Rachel 11:09 PM 04-09-2011
I've had a couple of losses recently and I also wouldn't tell until I felt comfortable. I would have to tell my future employer in the 5th month.
cheerfuldom 09:52 AM 04-10-2011
what did they say after the email? I hope they end up starting anyway!
KEG123 10:21 AM 04-10-2011
They're totally ok with it and start May 2!
cheerfuldom 12:12 PM 04-10-2011
Awesome! Hope the transition goes smoothly. I was always so worried whenever I had to interview while pregnant but surprisingly, NO ONE even cared about this at all! Baby is due in 5 weeks over here and we hopefully have thought of everything regarding my maternity and backup plans.
KEG123 12:34 PM 04-10-2011
Well I'm not showing yet so they would have had to wait longer to find out or have me tell them. I obviously chose to tell them, but was really nervous to.
momatheart 12:51 PM 04-10-2011
Since you are using your 2 weeks of paid vacation for your maternity leave makes this easier. I didn't catch that last time I posted to this thread.
KEG123 02:42 PM 04-10-2011
No problem. I'm excited they're ok with it. They said they've got family that will help out during that time. And his (dcd's) exact words "All babies are blessings"
Live and Learn 03:05 PM 04-10-2011
Originally Posted by KEG123:
No problem. I'm excited they're ok with it. They said they've got family that will help out during that time. And his (dcd's) exact words "All babies are blessings"
All babies are blessings....sounds like a nice dc family..... congrats again on your pregnancy.
Evansmom 04:06 PM 04-10-2011
Sounds like things resolved nicely for you. I still wanted to put my 2c in. If it were me I might mention, either at the interview or after when the parents were sure they were serious about coming to the daycare, that you were working on expanding your family and what would happen "if" that should come up during your relationship with them. That way they would get a chance to mull it over before deciding.
Just my 2c though. Glad things worked out!!
Tags:interview, pregnancy, wwyd
Reply Up