Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Why Do People Overbaby
Unregistered 11:52 PM 06-17-2015
I get my two kids back tonight for overnight 1year and 4year been gone 3 weeks mom lost her job needs a break ok that's fine id love to see them and keep them overnight since she is staying with a friend she brought her friends two kids ive never watched her friends kids or meet them but I agreed.The 5 year-old would not lay downand demand s needs food to fall asleep or will bug me all night an yes he wouldn't be quiet they got dropped off at 1030pm so had to call them well they called me after the threated 5 year oldwith something and I would do that for discipline if he got up again he listen the younger one they over baby (he needs to lay with u stroke your hair two fall asleep really and needs two baby bottles one with juice one with milk ok I guess bottles fine since its one night I hate bottles they leak unless they are younger.why do people over baby some stuff is ridiculous ive thought ive seen it all but lately things been getting more ridiculous lately
nannyde 04:27 AM 06-18-2015
They don't want them to cry.
MissAnn 04:52 AM 06-18-2015
Originally Posted by nannyde:
They don't want them to cry.
So not afraid to hear kids cry. Parents on the other hand? Oh my! New mom brought in sugary cereal and said.......I couldn't get her to let me take it. She is afraid her child will cry. I took it from the girl and handed it to mom. DD didn't cry.....she came to me and we said bye bye to mom while her mouth gaped open. We aren't just training the kids.
Unregistered 08:06 AM 06-18-2015
maybe they enjoy the baby phase? I try to allow my children develop independence but I like sitting with my 1 year old and giving her a bottle. My sister makes fun cause I hold my kdis too much, but I just want to keep that sweetness as close and as long as possible!
They're only this little for so long!
Play Care 08:54 AM 06-18-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
maybe they enjoy the baby phase? I try to allow my children develop independence but I like sitting with my 1 year old and giving her a bottle. My sister makes fun cause I hold my kdis too much, but I just want to keep that sweetness as close and as long as possible!
They're only this little for so long!
As a parent I totally understand.

But trust me when I say there will come a day when you suddenly realize that all their other kids are capably (and proudly) managing their own "stuff" and your child is not. There will come a day where you are overwhelmed by all the things you need to manage and think that giving your 10 year old a bath or rubbing your 7 year old's back to sleep at night for hours, or brushing/flossing your 12 year old's teeth should NOT be part of that.
There will come a day when you realize that rather than look inwardly to solve problems, your child always looks to you to swoop in and manage it for them.
There will come a day where the teachers start to express concern over your child's ability to mature and manage. Your child's boss will express concern over their ability to mature and manage...

I know it doesn't start out that way, but it becomes part of how we do things until all the sudden we realize our child is no longer a child.

(ETA: I think you should cuddle the kids for as long as they'll let you! I am talking more about encouraging independence in other areas)
daycarediva 09:09 AM 06-18-2015
Originally Posted by Play Care:

But trust me when I say there will come a day when you suddenly realize that all their other kids are capably (and proudly) managing their own "stuff" and your child is not. There will come a day where you are overwhelmed by all the things you need to manage and think that giving your 10 year old a bath or rubbing your 7 year old's back to sleep at night for hours, or brushing/flossing your 12 year old's teeth should NOT be part of that.
There will come a day when you realize that rather than look inwardly to solve problems, your child always looks to you to swoop in and manage it for them.
There will come a day where the teachers start to express concern over your child's ability to mature and manage. Your child's boss will express concern over their ability to mature and manage...

I know it doesn't start out that way, but it becomes part of how we do things until all the sudden we realize our child is no longer a child.

(ETA: I think you should cuddle the kids for as long as they'll let you! I am talking more about encouraging independence in other areas)
I totally agree!

I cuddle my kids and daycare kids often. I don't do things for them if they're capable, ever.

There is a difference between love and holding a child back.

I also agree that parents typically mean well, but they either don't want the child to cry, or they don't realize the repercussions.

I have 4 year olds who can't put slip on shoes on, do simple dressing, or follow two step directions.
Unregistered 12:31 PM 06-18-2015
I agree, I do not typically do things for my children they can do for themselves. And last night, my son(2.5) had apparently seen too much of my face, he kept saying "Me go without mommy". He's an extremely independent child, always has been.

I'm not all the way with attachment parenting, but many attachment kids turn out just fine and I think it's great if you can strap your kid on for however long. I think it's fine to occasionally pat a 7 year old to sleep or help a 10 year old with bath time(well I don't interact much with this age...) as long as they do know how to do it on their own. Sometimes kids and adults just want a little extra love and affection.
Unregistered 02:37 PM 06-18-2015
Yep if they are capable they no how they need to do not the parents. People are amazed when they see what there little ones do at my daycare that the parents never tried cause the thought there way to young.the are so proud of the littlest things they can do like put there shoes on like the bigger kids.the older ones no better I will not do things like put a 4 or 5 0r 6 year-old shoes its amazing how they say they cant do stuff .then when I say if u dont put shoes on then u cant go outside u will burn your feet guess what they put them on in two seconds.maby daycare is good for some kids it helps them learn from other and they be more independent
Unregistered 02:56 PM 06-18-2015
I dont like now that there back when kids come back everything is undone they dont listen at all its like I dont exist they act like they never been here act like theres no rules here I hate when kids leave and come back its a nightmare, its like I put so much work in over the years teaching them everything for everything to be undone with these kids in just three weeks. Time to be really stricet to get them back on track , they aren't running me like they do there parents not gonna happen!
Heidi 03:27 PM 06-18-2015
I dont like now that there back when kids come back everything is undone they dont listen at all its like I dont exist they act like they never been here act like theres no rules here I hate when kids leave and come back its a nightmare, its like I put so much work in over the years teaching them everything for everything to be undone with these kids in just three weeks. Time to be really stricet to get them back on track , they aren't running me like they do there parents not gonna happen!
Take a deep breath!
mommiebookworm 04:59 PM 06-18-2015
You know what else is irritating? Kids that scream for you and expect you to come running to their every demand! I have a new one that does that
Unregistered 09:39 PM 06-18-2015
These first time kids are bad up till 130 in the morning which meens im up that late an I have to get up extremely earlier th en my other daycare kids arrive then these kids still didnt get picked and this will make me go over parents dont listen so I do everything for these kids and there parents so I take them swimming for three hours (kids love it would stay all day if we could)so we didnt go over my mom keep the morning kids I took overnight ers swimming and guess what still no pick up so morning kids left early parents were home so told me they get them earlier than normal. The kids are still here right now no problem its fine but I say pick up no later than 830am tomorrow *other kids arrive* nope they said we will pay extra to leave till afternoon every parent always does and says we will pay extra so paying extra makes it ok I think I go to the extreme when it comes to taking care of the kids I will do anything like take swimming or out of the house if needed. I dont th ink most people dont appreciate their sitter as much as they should.and I dont think theyno all the stuff we do.ugh im tired I guess so im a little mad
Play Care 03:21 AM 06-19-2015
I understand you are frustrated. But your posts are extremely hard to follow.

If the kids are that challenging, you don't have to watch them. Tell the parents NO.
Blackcat31 10:20 AM 06-19-2015
These first time kids are bad up till 130 in the morning which meens im up that late an I have to get up extremely earlier th en my other daycare kids arrive then these kids still didnt get picked and this will make me go over parents dont listen so I do everything for these kids and there parents so I take them swimming for three hours (kids love it would stay all day if we could)so we didnt go over my mom keep the morning kids I took overnight ers swimming and guess what still no pick up so morning kids left early parents were home so told me they get them earlier than normal. The kids are still here right now no problem its fine but I say pick up no later than 830am tomorrow *other kids arrive* nope they said we will pay extra to leave till afternoon every parent always does and says we will pay extra so paying extra makes it ok I think I go to the extreme when it comes to taking care of the kids I will do anything like take swimming or out of the house if needed. I dont th ink most people dont appreciate their sitter as much as they should.and I dont think theyno all the stuff we do.ugh im tired I guess so im a little mad
People treat you how YOU allow them to.

Stop allowing parents/clients to take advantage.

If the kids are that challenging, you don't have to watch them. Tell the parents NO.
I agree to both statements.
Unregistered 07:20 AM 06-20-2015

Yes and yes.
Starburst 07:49 PM 06-21-2015

Unfortunately, some people don't understand the difference between 'cuddling' and 'coddling'.
Josiegirl 03:28 AM 06-22-2015
Originally Posted by mommiebookworm:
You know what else is irritating? Kids that scream for you and expect you to come running to their every demand! I have a new one that does that
OMG YES!!! I have some 6-8 yos that do that. I can be in the kitchen cleaning up from lunch and I'll hear the 8 yo yelling to me, wanting something. I just ignore her. Both she and her sister have been soooo indulged.

I'll be the very first to admit I babied my babies. Especially my firstborn. But I also never sent him to dc, expecting others to take care of him or manage his napping habits(or lack of). I remember when he was a 3 month-old and someone gave me grief over rocking him. I'm thinking WTH? What's wrong with that?? Then I got grief again when I was still nursing my babies at 1 yo. I also encouraged their efforts when they were learning skills.
Josiegirl 03:33 AM 06-22-2015
OP, those parents are clearly running all over you because you allow it. I don't know your situation, if you need to do all this due to finances, but only you can change it. Sounds like you're putting yourself dead last, don't do that. Your physical and mental health will suffer!
Figure out what you're happy doing, then write up your policies accordingly. Act professional, be professional, you'll be treated professionally.
Tags:coddled children, overbaby
Reply Up