Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>DC Tested for Covid-19 this Morning. What Would You Do?
cuddlebug78 03:03 PM 03-24-2020
I have a 2 year old DC who exhibited a cough, wheezing, and high fever yesterday. Her mom took her in and she was tested. She was negative for both flu viruses so the doctor said to expect a positive result. At least 5 days of waiting. What are your rules at your daycare if that happens?
Annalee 03:29 PM 03-24-2020
Originally Posted by cuddlebug78:
I have a 2 year old DC who exhibited a cough, wheezing, and high fever yesterday. Her mom took her in and she was tested. She was negative for both flu viruses so the doctor said to expect a positive result. At least 5 days of waiting. What are your rules at your daycare if that happens?
We have to report it to licensing and then self quarantine for 14 days if it’s positive.
Blackcat31 05:02 PM 03-24-2020
I absolutely would not let them return for a minimum of 14 days; maybe even longer depending on what happens with this whole thing.
e.j. 05:38 PM 03-24-2020
This is what our state says to do:

If a child becomes symptomatic while at child care:
1) Immediately separate the child from other children and minimize exposure to staff.
2) Contact the child’s parents. The child should be sent home as soon as possible.
3) Inform the family that their child cannot return to child care for 14 days.
4) Remind other families to regularly monitor their children for COVID-19 symptoms and to keep their children home if they have a fever, cough, and/or shortness of breath.
5) Proceed with daily cleaning and disinfecting procedures as usual. You do not need to close your facility.

What do we do if a child or parent tests positive for COVID-19?
Children who feel unwell, or children who live in a household with someone who feels unwell, should not attend child care. If a child or anyone in a child’s household (parent, grandparent, sibling, etc.) tests positive for COVID-19, the child’s family should immediately notify any child care center that the child attended in the last 14 days. The child care center should then proceed with the following steps:
1) Inform all families that their child may have been exposed to COVID-19 and that they should monitor their children for symptoms.
2) Inform all staff that they may have been exposed to COVID-19 and that they should be monitoring themselves for symptoms.
3) Alert your Regional Director that a child in attendance at your center (or their family member, as relevant) tested positive for COVID-19. Your Regional Director will inform DPH and may provide you with further guidance.
4) Proceed with daily cleaning and disinfecting procedures as usual. You do not need to close your facility.
e.j. 05:50 PM 03-24-2020
Originally Posted by e.j.:
4) Proceed with daily cleaning and disinfecting procedures as usual. You do not need to close your facility.
Personally, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't want to stay open after someone tested positive. I'd be a nervous wreck every time a kid sneezed or coughed! Just quoted what my state says.
AmyKidsCo 01:40 PM 03-25-2020
Yikes! I hope it's not the coronavirus and is something else. There's got to be more viruses with coughing and fever than the 2 flus and Covid-19, right? (crossing fingers)
Tags:coronavirus - management, coronavirus - testing, covid-19 and daycare
Reply Up