Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Where To Advertise
1vs7omg 06:02 PM 12-05-2011
Hi, I need some ideas on where to advertise. I received my license on Nov. 10th and I'm all ready but have no kids. The R&R agency has my info. I have put up flyers at gas stations, food stores and laundrymats. I have put an ad in the paper for 2 weeks, I have an ad on craigslist. I am working on website, should be done in 2 weeks. I put my info on care.com, but having problems with the site.

I have called churches to see if I can put them in bulletins; they said no, they only do church related, went to hospital to talk to human resources, she said no. I went to 3 factories here and they said no, they only put up business stuff. I am getting a little depressed.

Tomorrow, I am trying the job center and goodwill. Any other ideas? Any help would be appreciated.
Meeko 06:53 PM 12-05-2011
I'm friendly with the staff at the local elementary school. Over the years I have got quite a few references from them. Young couples move into the area, register their school age kids and mention that they now have to find day care for their little ones. The front office are happy to tell them they know someone right in the school district!

Have you thought about an opening special? Maybe an open house? Or put "ask about our sign-up special" on your fliers and offer something like the 4th week at half price if they sign up. Just things to get them in the door. Once they love you, you're set! Good luck...I remember it was hard to fill up at first. Hang in there
MarinaVanessa 10:04 PM 12-05-2011
Take a look at your CL ad and how it compares to other ads in your area, make some changes if you need to. Also take some kids books and add labels inside that say "Donated by..." and then your info and give them to businesses that cater to children (pediatricians, kids hair salons, kid's dentists etc.), have a simple sign made (just your DC name and phone number) and put it on your lawn, and lastly tell EVERYBODY about your DC. EVERYBODY. The lady behind you at the checkout line, your neighbors, your aunt Edna ... the more you talk about it the more others will talk about you. Make sure you always carry business cards with you and give them to everyone for every reason. If your neighbor asks you for the recipe to your awesome oatmeal cookies try to fit it onto the back of a business card etc. Give family and friends several business cards each time you see them, word of mouth has gotten me more business than advertising ever has.
melskids 04:16 AM 12-06-2011
Another place I put my business cards is in our local real estate offices. Sometimes when new people move to town, they are looking for new daycare.
MarinaVanessa 07:18 AM 12-06-2011
Originally Posted by melskids:
Another place I put my business cards is in our local real estate offices. Sometimes when new people move to town, they are looking for new daycare.
Oh that's a great idea! I never would have thought of that but that's so smart!

I missed one yesterday (don't know how I did that) but have you tried making colorful and fun flyers? The point in advertising is to stand out and to get creative. Here's an example of my flyers, instead of white however I use colored paper in a complimentary color opposite of the color of the pocket but I don't have a scanned copy of a colored flyer so this will have to do. I put a few business cards inside the pocket and VOALAH! They get a lot of attention.

1vs7omg 08:03 AM 12-06-2011
Great ideas! I do have flyers. I just went to job center this morning and they said they can put it up, but we will see. I'm making business cards now and running to the print center. It's alot easier to take cards then a flyer.

I'm going to take all the new ideas and start again.

On another note.. for my license I had to get liability insurance which I did, and I paid for the whole year. Now it seems I'm paying for nothing since I don't have kids yet. Do you think I can cancel until I get kids? I just hate wasting money.
MarinaVanessa 08:35 AM 12-06-2011
Originally Posted by 1vs7omg:
On another note.. for my license I had to get liability insurance which I did, and I paid for the whole year. Now it seems I'm paying for nothing since I don't have kids yet. Do you think I can cancel until I get kids? I just hate wasting money.
If you feel that you won't get kids before this year is out then I'd look into that. That would stink for you to have to pay for the insurance and not have any kids however you can always claim it as a business expense so it's deductible anyway. I'm not sure if that's true if you have no kids though because you aren't exactly in business yet KWIM? But then again you're READY to do business, just havn't gotten any clients yet. I'd call your tax consultant or maybe Tom Copeland can answer? I'd also call your licensing agency and ask if this is a possibility. You wouldn't want to be in violation of your license.
Tags:advertise, advertise - word of mouth, advertising, advertising - low budget, advertising ideas, daycare.com
Reply Up