Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Not Sure It's A Good Idea...
ILMommy 12:43 PM 04-03-2012
At the end of the month I'm moving to a new house and going to have full, finished basement for my daycare. I'm so excited for all the space and opportunities I'll have, but I have one area I'm not sure about. Under the stairs is a small room (about 8' x 11') with maybe a 4 ft ceiling. The previous owners had it set up as a play room with a super cute swinging picket fence gate and flower stickers. My four year old wants a "princess" house, but since I plan on using it for daycare, I wanted to keep it more gender neutral. Then I got to thinking...the kids I have now can be very sneaky. The second they think they are somewhat hidden, they are on their worst behavior; not just fighting and taking toys, but sneaking crayons away in pockets to color on furniture or walls, tearing pages out of books, beating toys of walls, ect. So I'm wondering if it's a good idea to have a room like that for daycare use. I have a million fun ideas I'd love to do with it, but I'd hate to spend time and money to have it be a disaster. It would be really hard to keep it a private area for just my daughters, but I do want it to be a spot they can enjoy all the time and not have it destroyed. Any thoughts or advice? And if you think I SHOULD use it for daycare space, any other creative and fun ideas to do with it?
nannyde 12:52 PM 04-03-2012
I don't think I would use a room with that low of a ceiling... or if it would be legal in my state. It would be tough to evacuate out of that room. You have to think of a fireman in a full fire gear pack coming in to rescue when you make decisions like that.

I would give the room to my own kids or make it storage.
godiva83 12:55 PM 04-03-2012
I think you should totally try it! I have a little nook under the stairs I am dying to transform but we lack storage.

Perhaps use it as a 'special' earned privledged.
Only open for 3 kids at a time and you lose your time in there ASaP if you can't follow the rules. Mount a mirror in a corner strategically placed so you can still easily supervise the rug rats.

Instead of just Princess maybe do castle theme have kings, queens, knights, dragons and of course princesses
cheerfuldom 05:05 PM 04-03-2012
Try it and anyone misbehaving loses the privilege to play in there. I have some things that some of the daycare kids NEVER get to play with due to bad behavior. I wouldn't feel bad at all just using it for my own kids.
JenNJ 05:27 PM 04-03-2012
I would keep that a "break room" for my own kids. Maybe put a privacy curtain up and that way your kids can escape the daycare kids. Let them stake out that area for themselves and use it as a getaway. Maybe put in a little bookshelf filled with their favorite stories, some comfy pillows and cozy blankets. I wish my kids had a common area escape! Sounds adorable!
saved4always 05:42 PM 04-03-2012
We have a space under the stairs but a bit smaller. My husband fixed it up as a secret hiding place for my daughter. When I was doing daycare in my house, I used the basement for daycare but that area was gated off as it was a special place for my own daughter and her friends to enjoy. In addition to it sounding like it may not be a good idea to give your group of kids someplace to be sneaky, if your daughter would like it as her own princess space, it might be nice to let her have it her way just because it could be somewhere special for her.
DaycareMama 05:45 PM 04-03-2012
Originally Posted by JenNJ:
I would keep that a "break room" for my own kids. Maybe put a privacy curtain up and that way your kids can escape the daycare kids. Let them stake out that area for themselves and use it as a getaway. Maybe put in a little bookshelf filled with their favorite stories, some comfy pillows and cozy blankets. I wish my kids had a common area escape! Sounds adorable!
This is what i would do
Meeko 07:09 PM 04-03-2012
How hard is it for you to get right into the room?

I would worry about kids figuring out they can run in there and you have a hard time getting them out. I have kids who would think that was waaay funny.

Nannyde mentioned fire too. If a scared child ran into the far corner, could you go get her quickly? You don't have time to coax.

If you can get in and out easily...then I think it would be an awesome pint-size playroom! I would make it a place they had to EARN time in.
Blackcat31 08:31 AM 04-04-2012
Originally Posted by Meeko:
How hard is it for you to get right into the room?

I would worry about kids figuring out they can run in there and you have a hard time getting them out. I have kids who would think that was waaay funny.

Nannyde mentioned fire too. If a scared child ran into the far corner, could you go get her quickly? You don't have time to coax.
If you can get in and out easily...then I think it would be an awesome pint-size playroom! I would make it a place they had to EARN time in.
Good point! Here, we aren't allowed to use any spaces/rooms that do not have 2 exits in case of fire.

If the room has only the door and no other exits, then it cannot be included as useable daycare space (unless it is a bathroom).

I would definitely check with the laws in your state for this.
Soupyszoo 08:54 AM 04-04-2012
Originally Posted by JenNJ:
I agree with this! I've heard this is really important for those of us that watch our own kids along with daycare kids! It can be hard to have to share your home with all these other kids around all the time.
Tags:basement, layout
Reply Up