Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Your Kids Aren't My Life
Unregistered 12:05 PM 07-08-2016
This is kinda a funny post and kinda an advice post.

I had a dcm text me tuesday night saying their family was going to take an impromptu vacation so dcg would be absent W/Th/F. I responded, "Have a good time, we will miss L while she's away "

But then today I got a text from DCM that says, "We're home! Do you want me bring L over tomorrow since you weren't able to see her all week? I could come around 10."

I've never, ever, ever been open on weekends, and I have children and a husband of my own. Our weekends are absolutely packed with family activities so no(!!!) I don't want you to randomly bring your child here because I haven't seen her in 3 days.

She always makes comments like this, like I'm desperate to see her child. She sends me a picture of her daughter every.single.day. with a caption like "here's your daily L fix!" Even on days that dcg was here with me all day!

Here's the advice part: How do I gently ask that she stop sending me pictures and updates about her daughter every single second of the day? I love all my dckids but I certainly don't want to see their pictures or get updates when they aren't in my care. This mom texts me almost every evening saying, "Guess what L said/did/etc." and I never respond but still she sends the messages every single day. I'm so over it!
Blackcat31 12:16 PM 07-08-2016
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
This is kinda a funny post and kinda an advice post.

I had a dcm text me tuesday night saying their family was going to take an impromptu vacation so dcg would be absent W/Th/F. I responded, "Have a good time, we will miss L while she's away "

But then today I got a text from DCM that says, "We're home! Do you want me bring L over tomorrow since you weren't able to see her all week? I could come around 10."

I've never, ever, ever been open on weekends, and I have children and a husband of my own. Our weekends are absolutely packed with family activities so no(!!!) I don't want you to randomly bring your child here because I haven't seen her in 3 days.

She always makes comments like this, like I'm desperate to see her child. She sends me a picture of her daughter every.single.day. with a caption like "here's your daily L fix!" Even on days that dcg was here with me all day!

Here's the advice part: How do I gently ask that she stop sending me pictures and updates about her daughter every single second of the day? I love all my dckids but I certainly don't want to see their pictures or get updates when they aren't in my care. This mom texts me almost every evening saying, "Guess what L said/did/etc." and I never respond but still she sends the messages every single day. I'm so over it!
In response to her wanting to bring her child over I would reply "Tomorrow is a weekend, I am not open. ??"

That leaves the ball in her court that you view her statement/request as nothing more than business only..
If she replies that you referenced missing her, just tell her you miss all the kids equally when you don't see them.

(somehow she needs to come to the realization that her child isn't any more special than the other kids you have in care)

Of course you could always tell her you'd love to see L tomorrow but the rate for weekend care is $50 per hour...

As for the constant texting etc I would send notice out (address ALL parents even if you only actually tell her) that you would like all families to take into consideration that after closing time and weekends belong to YOUR family only and any parent that needs to text or call needs to do it during business hours only in respect to your family.

If she doesn't stop or feels your message doesn't apply to her, you might just have to be clear and say the words....
"Stop texting me during my off hours please. Thank you"

The only other option I see is to simply never respond.
Controlled Chaos 12:28 PM 07-08-2016
Wow, I can't imagine getting that text

I think you got good advice above...just wow
AmyKidsCo 12:43 PM 07-08-2016
Yup, ITA with BlackCat, again.

I usually don't reply to texts/emails after hours, unless they're letting me know the child will be absent the next day.
Josiegirl 03:32 PM 07-08-2016
Her kid must be so much more special than all the others you care for!!
Indoorvoice 06:32 AM 07-09-2016
I have this parent too! She is a teacher off for the summer. She keeps asking about "playdates" aka free child care this summer because we must miss her child so much. I don't respond, but it doesn't stop!
childcaremom 06:36 AM 07-09-2016
Originally Posted by AmyKidsCo:
Yup, ITA with BlackCat, again.

I usually don't reply to texts/emails after hours, unless they're letting me know the child will be absent the next day.
This is me.
Pestle 12:13 PM 07-09-2016
Good grief!

My child's previous care provider loves it when kids who aged out or moved away stop by . . . for fifteen to twenty minutes. . . with their parents. So she can say, "You've grown so much!" and gossip a little, then send them on their way.

This is like the boss asking you to come to the office on the weekend for free, because you really missed it.
Thriftylady 12:42 PM 07-09-2016
Originally Posted by Pestle:
Good grief!

My child's previous care provider loves it when kids who aged out or moved away stop by . . . for fifteen to twenty minutes. . . with their parents. So she can say, "You've grown so much!" and gossip a little, then send them on their way.

This is like the boss asking you to come to the office on the weekend for free, because you really missed it.
ROFL!!! I would have never thought of this that way, but it is so true!
Josiegirl 04:22 PM 07-09-2016
I just had a former dcm and her 2 kids stop by tonight; she had called ahead and told me they were having a yard sale and if I wanted to stop by I could pick out whatever stuff I wanted for free. As luck would have it, my plans didn't include going to yard sales today. But she and the kids stopped in and offered me tons of stuff they had left over. Great stuff. Which was nice in itself. BUT it was truly great seeing these 2 kids. OMG I usually only see them on Halloween now . They're 9 and 13 and omigosh, just since Oct. they have changed so much. The 9 yo boy pipes up and said you were more than a babysitter, and mom finishes and says yes, you're family. I still remember the group I had when they came to my dc and I loved that group. But these 2 particular kids I always held in a special place in my heart.
Ok, I'm done going on and on.
And on.
But most kiddos?? Uh uh
Snowmom 01:22 PM 07-10-2016
Jeez!

I would address it. Probably through a blanket statement to all families. Post a notice:
"Effective Immediately, I will not be answering calls or returning texts on weekends or past 6pm weekdays. Thank you for your understanding."
daycarediva 03:42 AM 07-11-2016
Originally Posted by Pestle:
Good grief!

My first ever dck is friends with my oldest and is here all the time. She's 16 now so it's NOT the same.
thrivingchildcarecom 10:24 AM 07-11-2016
I know what you mean! I have a mom (totally Type A) that even though I told her she doesn't need to respond to my notes I send to all the parents, she is just compelled to do it anyway. Even though I never respond, I just can't get her to stop.

I know this might not stop your mom, but see if you can send it to spam. Either that or you will probably just have to ignore it. I might also mention to her every now and again, "Oh I just am so busy, if its not important I don't have time to look at every email." Maybe she will get the hint, one day - LOL!
Unregistered 07:10 PM 07-11-2016
Op here

I took all of your advice and sent a letter home today with all families asking that after-hour communication be strictly limited to urgent matters or schedule changes.
DCM took the letter and it didn't seem to offend her at all so I was hopeful for a good outcome!
.... Then, 3 hours later, she texted me a picture of dcg sleeping soundly in her bed with a caption about her being the most perfect angel. 😩

Now I need to grow some gonads and send the text saying that she's already violating the new policy. I hate confronting people
MarinaVanessa 07:31 PM 07-11-2016
Oh holy moly
AmyKidsCo 07:58 PM 07-11-2016
Op here

I took all of your advice and sent a letter home today with all families asking that after-hour communication be strictly limited to urgent matters or schedule changes.
DCM took the letter and it didn't seem to offend her at all so I was hopeful for a good outcome!
.... Then, 3 hours later, she texted me a picture of dcg sleeping soundly in her bed with a caption about her being the most perfect angel. 😩

Now I need to grow some gonads and send the text saying that she's already violating the new policy. I hate confronting people
Seriously?! Because you want to interrupt your life for a photo of their dog? Oy vey...
Josiegirl 01:53 AM 07-12-2016
Oh she couldn't possibly be talking about me!
Josiegirl 01:55 AM 07-12-2016
Yes time for a text to dcm. AND possibly bombard her with your own version of 'look at me!!!' pictures.
laundrymom 04:47 AM 07-12-2016
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
Yes time for a text to dcm. AND possibly bombard her with your own version of 'look at me!!!' pictures.
Or respond when you start your day? Mine begins at 4am. Lol
momofboys 08:43 AM 07-12-2016
Op here

I would tell her that you don't have unlimited texting, and that when you get picture texts it counts even higher for your monthly bill. I would say that you are unwilling to incur a higher cell phone bill & that is why you instituted the no texting after hours rule.
Unregistered 09:51 AM 07-12-2016
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
Or respond when you start your day? Mine begins at 4am. Lol
I've done this!lol
Unregistered 09:53 AM 07-12-2016
It sounds like she thinks your friends not just business clients
Unregistered 10:10 AM 07-12-2016
I know it might be a pain but you could always put the text conversation on mute notifications in the evening. You have to turn it on in the morning - it's kind of a pain
daycarediva 10:12 AM 07-12-2016
It sounds like she thinks your friends not just business clients

Yup.

Respond when you wake up, the earlier the better. Respond in an annoying way.

(each line as a separate text) I get up at 4:30.
Sorry, just saw this!
I don't have my phone on after business hours.
I sent home a note about it.
Did you read my note about that?
How cute!
Aww love her blanket
is her room pink?
What pj's is she wearing?
she looks so peaceful
what time did she fall asleep?
Oh, sorry!
Just realized what time it was!
I get up so early for the first child to arrive.
That's why it's hard for me to get evening texts.
See you at 8!
Rockgirl 10:19 AM 07-12-2016
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
Yup.

Sorry, just saw this!
How cute!
Aww love her blanket
is her room pink?
she looks so peaceful
Oh, sorry!
See you at 8!
Brilliant!
Play Care 11:10 AM 07-12-2016
Yup.

Sorry, just saw this!
How cute!
Aww love her blanket
is her room pink?
she looks so peaceful
Oh, sorry!
See you at 8!
I this!!
finsup 11:36 AM 07-12-2016
Yup.

Sorry, just saw this!
How cute!
Aww love her blanket
is her room pink?
she looks so peaceful
Oh, sorry!
See you at 8!
Please do this...
Nurse Jackie 04:24 PM 07-12-2016
Yup.

Sorry, just saw this!
How cute!
Aww love her blanket
is her room pink?
she looks so peaceful
Oh, sorry!
See you at 8!
this right here
Thriftylady 05:21 PM 07-12-2016
I love that, and if this ever becomes an issue I may get up super early long enough to do that!
Controlled Chaos 11:58 AM 07-13-2016
Did you talk to her? I must know how this ends
Unregistered 06:47 AM 07-14-2016
Nothing exciting to report. I grew a backbone and nervously mentioned it at pickup the next day. She seemed embarrassed but not mad. And she hasn't texted me since! It's been really nice
Mariahsaint 08:57 AM 07-14-2016
Nothing exciting to report. I grew a backbone and nervously mentioned it at pickup the next day. She seemed embarrassed but not mad. And she hasn't texted me since! It's been really nice
I'm glad it all worked out in the end! It's always so nice when things smooth themselves out neatly.

Blackcat31 09:00 AM 07-14-2016
She probably genuinely thought you enjoyed the updates.

Normally, I don't mind but honestly when you are dealing with multiple families, even ONE text from each one of them after hours is a good chunk of time and you have to draw the line somewhere.

Hopefully, she wasn't too hurt over it and the silence from her after hours remains silent.
My3cents 06:21 AM 07-15-2016
Yup.

Sorry, just saw this!
How cute!
Aww love her blanket
is her room pink?
she looks so peaceful
Oh, sorry!
See you at 8!
This is super funny but I don't recommend anyone doing this.
Two wrongs don't make a right
If the parents could only read my mind........yikes
3cents
KIDZRMYBIZ 12:48 PM 07-21-2016
Originally Posted by momofboys:
I would tell her that you don't have unlimited texting, and that when you get picture texts it counts even higher for your monthly bill. I would say that you are unwilling to incur a higher cell phone bill & that is why you instituted the no texting after hours rule.
This is such a smart idea! It doesn't hurt feelings, and you can be done with work when you're done with work (what every job/profession worker wants!).
CityGarden 09:16 AM 07-22-2016
I am glad you addressed it directly with mom! Personally this is one reason I opted to install and land line.... I will not give out my cell phone number and will turn off the ringer after hours. Parents can contact me via email or the land line like they would be required to do if they were at a center. No one expects to be texting a daycare center director or lead classroom teacher..... sigh.
Nurse Jackie 11:29 AM 07-22-2016
I had a land line when I first opened but opted to disconnect it because my phone would ring literally all day from telemarketers. I was on the do not call list but they still would call.
Tags:funny, parents - don't appreciate
Reply Up