Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>CL Ad: "Two Year Old Wants to Read"
ninosqueridos 08:38 AM 01-18-2011
I thought this ad was hysterical! I thought about replying and offering my services, but I don't think I'd meet this parent's standards. Just thought I'd share.....

Here is the ad:
I am looking for someone to help with my almost 2-year-old son from 9am-1pm, M-F. This will be at the public library, where I will be working in another room. I will also consider alternative arrangements at your home.

I am looking for a cross between a big brother/big sister and a tutor for my son.
Applicants can be either male or female. Previous experience with children is a must. Looking to start ASAP.

My son has recently become very interested in learning to read and I am trying to run with it while he is willing. He currently knows about 10 letter sounds and “reads” them whenever he sees a book, magazine, street sign, store display, anything… I would want us to work together to help him reach his full potential.

Each day you are with him I would like you to do the following, while he is interested. Each activity need only be done for a few minutes each day:

reinforce the “letter of the day”
review the letters he already knows
work on sounding out 2-letter combinations (“am”, “me”, “no”, etc.)
introduce simple 3-letter sight words that use combination of these letters (“dog”, “cat”, etc. – be prepared to draw the picture and write the word)
count things in the room
point out colors and shapes

To occupy the rest of the morning, you can:

read to him (favorite)
have conversations with him
play with blocks
play with puzzles
play with toy cars and motorcycles (another favorite)
play nerf baseball, nerf soccer, nerf swordfighting
play “fight” in general
sing songs/nursery rhymes “happy birthday”, “twinkle twinkle little star”, “where is thumbkin?”, etc.
play toy musical instruments and dance (yet another favorite)

If you have an idea for a craft or a simple game and need supplies, we can probably figure out a way to get them.

You guys can have lunch at noon and I will pick him up at 1pm. That realistically makes the working window more like 9am-12pm.

Each day, I will want you to jot down a couple of bullet-points about his reading progress/level of interest in a journal that I will provide. I will review these notes as I choose the next “letter of the day”.

Pay will be $140/wk. Please note: I maintain a “no screens” rule with my son. This means no TV, no video games and no computer. In addition, please avoid cell phone calls/texting during working hours.
ninosqueridos 08:41 AM 01-18-2011
I thought it was interesting that the "academic" part would only be a few minutes per day, but then she wants a daily bullet-pointed report on her son's reading progress. Oy.
SilverSabre25 08:42 AM 01-18-2011
wow...part of me wants to hope that she mistyped and means almost 3, 4, or 5 year old...but I'm sure that's too much to hope.
lvt77 08:42 AM 01-18-2011
LMAO now this is the funniest thing I have seen in a really long time! thank you for sharing.......I am sure her son told her this too......
DCMomOf3 08:45 AM 01-18-2011
Well, the pay is good, and if you only care for him, it may be possible to try to do what she asks. Although at not even 2, the progress reports that she wants daily would be unimpressive I would think.
momofboys 08:49 AM 01-18-2011
I find it even funnier that she considers you off the clock at noon since of course you will be eating lunch with her son then. The pay really stinks too; only $7/hr but of course to her instead of a 20 hour week she considers this a 15 hr week b/c you wouldn't be doing anything during lunch (other than watching her son, making ,lunch & cleaning up. . . nope totally off the clock!)
momofboys 08:50 AM 01-18-2011
Originally Posted by DCMomOf3:
Well, the pay is good, and if you only care for him, it may be possible to try to do what she asks. Although at not even 2, the progress reports that she wants daily would be unimpressive I would think.
It''s only $7/hr. . . it would probably be hard to find someone else to watch around those hours unless you wanted 2nd shifters.
ninosqueridos 08:51 AM 01-18-2011
I thought hmmm....maybe.....until I saw the request for reports.....yikes.
nannyde 08:53 AM 01-18-2011
This one is REALLY good.

Oh my we need a parent translator on this site:

Do you speak parent?

I do

"My child is gifted and special. I want to have you one to one him at my place of work so I can make sure you are feeding his genius on a minute to minute. I want that genius documented every day too. I'm going to have you work for seven dollars an hour part time during prime child care hours then I'm going to nap him for free. The money I would pay for a slot in day care is just going to MY child during awake hours and you no get no pay for nap. See how that works? I'm a genius too."

kendallina 09:01 AM 01-18-2011
Wow-- I really hope she mistyped his age.
melskids 09:07 AM 01-18-2011
how are you going to play nerf and blocks , and feed him while sitting at the library?

or does she expect you to transport back to her house too? of course, that would be free for her too, cause technically, youre only driving, and not really interacting with the child.
nannyde 09:13 AM 01-18-2011
Originally Posted by melskids:
how are you going to play nerf and blocks , and feed him while sitting at the library?

or does she expect you to transport back to her house too? of course, that would be free for her too, cause technically, youre only driving, and not really interacting with the child.
Wait a minute.

Are you saying an hour lunch with a two year old isn't work?
jen 09:29 AM 01-18-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
This one is REALLY good.

Oh my we need a parent translator on this site:

Do you speak parent?

I do

"My child is gifted and special. I want to have you one to one him at my place of work so I can make sure you are feeding his genius on a minute to minute. I want that genius documented every day too. I'm going to have you work for seven dollars an hour part time during prime child care hours then I'm going to nap him for free. The money I would pay for a slot in day care is just going to MY child during awake hours and you no get no pay for nap. See how that works? I'm a genius too."

Oh my gosh! Thanks for my laugh of the day!!!
DCMomOf3 10:16 AM 01-18-2011
Originally Posted by janarae:
It''s only $7/hr. . . it would probably be hard to find someone else to watch around those hours unless you wanted 2nd shifters.
I said good because $140 a week for half days IS good around my area.
nannyde 11:39 AM 01-18-2011
I said good because $140 a week for half days IS good around my area.
140 a week is good in your area to do one to one off site care of a child?

140 a week is good in my area too but for GROUP half day care not for nanny care especially care that is around and with a parent visable and present at any time.
kidkair 11:51 AM 01-18-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
140 a week is good in your area to do one to one off site care of a child?

140 a week is good in my area too but for GROUP half day care not for nanny care especially care that is around and with a parent visable and present at any time.
I used to get paid $20 an hour as a nanny doing less than what she is asking. I was to play with the child from about 9 to 1 pm 3 days a week. All we did was play and have lunch together. Sure the kid learned a lot but I didn't have to document anything or work on a specific letter sound every day. Oh and the parent was close by most of the time and able to come back ASAP if I called for help.
ninosqueridos 12:02 PM 01-18-2011
nannyde Your parent translation was perfect

And yeah $7 an hour is good for my group daycare - but she is looking for one cheap "TODDLER TUTOR".......hey, maybe there's a market for these parents out there?!
ninosqueridos 12:04 PM 01-18-2011
Originally Posted by melskids:

I'm not sure the library would appreciate toy helicopters and "play fighting" Oh and that sure is nice to have a "free hour" of lunchtime
Blackcat31 12:09 PM 01-18-2011
Originally Posted by ninosqueridos:
nannyde Your parent translation was perfect

And yeah $7 an hour is good for my group daycare - but she is looking for one cheap "TODDLER TUTOR".......hey, maybe there's a market for these parents out there?!
I am seriously in the wrong business if I could be a tutor to one (gifted)toddler vs all the B.S. I put up with right now.........Of course, I would have to ask for more money than what she is offering but atleast she is good for a laugh!!
Unregistered 01:15 PM 01-18-2011
I feel sorry for the little one, Mom seems anal as heck. My oldest daughter was also reading a bit at 2, and had letter recognition and sounds down. We also a no screen home. She is now 29 has a Ph.d in Bio-medical engineering and is on her 2nd year post doc at McGill University in Montreal.
E Daycare 02:47 PM 01-18-2011
This parent micro manage much? Sheesh! And the parent translator one had both my husband and I laughing and going what the....

lol
Tags:advertise, craigs list
Reply Up