Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Seriously Disgusting, Help!
Evansmom 12:27 PM 02-12-2013
So every year these trees that line one side of our yard gets little red berries on them and almost every year a huge flock of birds finds them and gobbles them up BUT stay in my yard taking breaks between eating the berries and so my yard, my deck, sand box, toys, EVERYTHING is totally covered in horrible, nasty black bird droppings that stain everything it touches. Like literally everything is COVERED!

There is no telling if/when they will come. Last year it was so great bc the birds forgot about us. And they don't scare, we have tried various things to scare the birds off but nothing shakes these guys.

So needless to say they are back today . Everything back there is totally covered with poop and this year I'm in the middle of interviewing for a daycare spot! There is no use cleaning right now, we just can't go back there. We just have to wait it out and pressure wash or throw away dirty stuff. The worst part is that my back yard is one really impressive part of my business. What in the world am I going to tell my prospective parents?!
Willow 12:38 PM 02-12-2013
Tell them the truth, that you unfortunately can't control mother nature

Have you tried putting out like owl figures? You can find many that are motion activated so if a bird gets brave enough to swoop past they give the birds quite a scare. Hanging old CD's from the berry bushes might be an eye sore but they're a great deterrent too. Ultrasonic devices work well if you don't have pets.

Either that or have you considered doing away with the berry bushes altogether?
melilley 12:39 PM 02-12-2013
Originally Posted by Willow:
Tell them the truth, that you unfortunately can't control mother nature

Have you tried putting out like owl figures? You can find many that are motion activated so if a bird gets brave enough to swoop past they give the birds quite a scare. Hanging old CD's from the berry bushes might be an eye sore but they're a great deterrent too. Ultrasonic devices work well if you don't have pets.

Either that or have you considered doing away with the berry bushes altogether?
Owls work!
CedarCreek 12:40 PM 02-12-2013
I'd either have to get rid of the bushes or get rid of all of the berries.

....Or get a few hungry cats
kathiemarie 12:40 PM 02-12-2013
I would tell them what you told us. Let them peek at your yard so they can see what it looks like, tell them to picture it w/o the poop! lol. Its just part of life and if they can't go with the follow on this then do you really want them as clients?
wdmmom 12:44 PM 02-12-2013
I got a plastic owl at walmart. It's head swivels and bobbles. After 2 summers of being dive bombed while mowing, I knew something needed to give. The owl has kept everything away. Best $14.97 I've spent!
melilley 12:45 PM 02-12-2013
Originally Posted by wdmmom:
I got a plastic owl at walmart. It's head swivels and bobbles. After 2 summers of being dive bombed while mowing, I knew something needed to give. The owl has kept everything away. Best $14.97 I've spent!
Sorry, I had to laugh... not funny that you got dive bombed though.
wdmmom 12:49 PM 02-12-2013
Originally Posted by melilley:
Sorry, I had to laugh... not funny that you got dive bombed though.
True story...I was screaming like a sissy! It kept coming back and bombing me. After it got about 2 inches from my head, I went and got the BB gun. That must have been enough because I didn't see him again after that!
Evansmom 12:58 PM 02-12-2013
Thanks everyone!

Just texted hubby to stop and get an owl! I'll try anything at this point! The trees are big and really pretty when they aren't attracting birds and they give us privacy from our neighbors so I don't want to cut them down if we don't have to.

It is kinda funny! But I still hate it! I never hated birds so much in my life! We would love to go outside today

I guess I'll just have to explain it to the parents, it just doesn't seem to be such a great first impression does it??! Lol!
melilley 01:01 PM 02-12-2013
Originally Posted by wdmmom:
True story...I was screaming like a sissy! It kept coming back and bombing me. After it got about 2 inches from my head, I went and got the BB gun. That must have been enough because I didn't see him again after that!
Haha. I would have been screaming too! Birds are one animal that I don't like! Some are pretty to look at, but that's it.
laundrymom 01:06 PM 02-12-2013
Use it!!!!
" there are a few times a year when the migratory birds feed in my bushes. They leave poo. We clean it after they move on but do not disrupt their migration."

Makes you seem green.....

But get the owl.
laundrymom 01:08 PM 02-12-2013
And I can totally see wdw screeching from them. I have blue jays. They chase us during the spring. We had to relocate the nests
Evansmom 01:11 PM 02-12-2013
Ok guys, hubs reminded me the owl didn't work last time. Any other ideas?
melilley 01:14 PM 02-12-2013
Originally Posted by Evansmom:
Ok guys, hubs reminded me the owl didn't work last time. Any other ideas?
You could put shiny material over the bushes, like those streamers. I know it works for ducks that go on docks or seagulls that like to land on boats. I'm not sure about birds though.
Evansmom 01:30 PM 02-12-2013
You could put shiny material over the bushes, like those streamers. I know it works for ducks that go on docks or seagulls that like to land on boats. I'm not sure about birds though.
Maybe I could go to the craft store and pick up shiny ribbon and mirrors then give them to my daycare kids to build with and hang them in the trees. Then we can do a craft and hopefully get rid of those birds at the same time!!

The only tricky part is hanging them...it's so nasty, if you're out there for a second you get pooped on! Gah! And you can hear it constantly dropping all around you! Ick!

I just told hubs to leave me a loaded BB gun but I'm not sure that will work with these birds, they just don't scare!
laundrymom 01:47 PM 02-12-2013
Silly string??
laundrymom 01:48 PM 02-12-2013
Or tarp the bushes. ? Take away the food source?
MamaBearCanada 02:06 PM 02-12-2013
There are a few suggestions here

http://www.gardeningtipsnideas.com/2...uit_trees.html
melilley 02:41 PM 02-12-2013
Maybe I could go to the craft store and pick up shiny ribbon and mirrors then give them to my daycare kids to build with and hang them in the trees. Then we can do a craft and hopefully get rid of those birds at the same time!!

The only tricky part is hanging them...it's so nasty, if you're out there for a second you get pooped on! Gah! And you can hear it constantly dropping all around you! Ick!

I just told hubs to leave me a loaded BB gun but I'm not sure that will work with these birds, they just don't scare!

Sorry I had to laugh. I am just imagining that many birds at once! Geez that's a lot of poo!
JenNJ 03:59 PM 02-12-2013
Can you spray the birds with the hose? That's so gross. Nearby a neighborhood is having an issue with vultures hanging out in trees and pooping on everything. Now the EPA is involved.
kitykids3 04:20 PM 02-12-2013
Can you put up some canopies under the trees, but over all the toys and such? Those portable type? It would help at least cut down on how much is actually getting pooped on.? That sounds gross. I don't think I could handle that every year and I would be cutting the trees down and replacing them. (Well at least it would be one of those goals of mine for when I could afford it).
Evansmom 04:49 PM 02-12-2013
Sorry I had to laugh. I am just imagining that many birds at once! Geez that's a lot of poo!
You're not kidding! Our lot is about 10,000 sq ft and most of it is back yard and approx 5,000 of it is covered in poo right now. Hubs is out there spraying everything off but it's just going to be bad again tomorrow.
Evansmom 04:52 PM 02-12-2013
JenNJ - I think I may call the city and see what they say. I tried spraying them with a hose but our trees are really tall and I don't have a sprayer that reaches that high.

Kitykids3 - canopies might be an option but it's a really big area, at least 5,000 sq ft so I'm not sure if that would work.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions! I've thought about going out there with a ladder and stripping every branch of the berries I can reach. These are tall trees, not bushes. They're at least 12 ft if not higher so I probably wouldn't be able to reach them all however I could get some and I noticed that the birds only eat the ones on the trees, not on the ground so that may work.

sigh. It's so gross!
laundrymom 05:54 PM 02-12-2013
Have you tried power washing the berries?
Evansmom 04:31 AM 02-13-2013
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
Have you tried power washing the berries?
Ooh, not yet! But my husband works from home today and I think I'll get him to try that. Thanks for the idea!
countrymom 05:52 AM 02-13-2013
I'm so curious, but do you have pictures. I've never seen this.
countrymom 05:53 AM 02-13-2013
I know crows are a problem, so they have things that sound like guns that go off ever so often.
Evansmom 06:48 AM 02-13-2013
Originally Posted by countrymom:
I'm so curious, but do you have pictures. I've never seen this.
I'll try to take pics today, it's rather hard to be out there without getting bombed tho

They leave in the evening but comeback mid morning, they aren't here yet and I hope they somehow forget about us but I'm sure they won't. There's still a lot of berries in the trees.
Evansmom 08:24 AM 02-15-2013
I just wanted to thank everyone for their suggestions and to give an update on the mess over here.

So for two days we were invaded and bombed by these birds and then my husband put a children's metallic colored pinwheel up on our playset that is next to the trees and it's a miracle! No birds for the past two days!!! YAY! And it must be that little spinning pinwheel because the trees are still loaded with berries.

Now I'm going this weekend and investing in at least 10 of those pinwheel things to put around the playset and the border of the trees!
melilley 08:54 AM 02-15-2013
I just wanted to thank everyone for their suggestions and to give an update on the mess over here.

So for two days we were invaded and bombed by these birds and then my husband put a children's metallic colored pinwheel up on our playset that is next to the trees and it's a miracle! No birds for the past two days!!! YAY! And it must be that little spinning pinwheel because the trees are still loaded with berries.

Now I'm going this weekend and investing in at least 10 of those pinwheel things to put around the playset and the boarder of the trees!
Yay! See, that's the trick. Shiny metallic things!
Evansmom 08:59 AM 02-15-2013
Yay! See, that's the trick. Shiny metallic things!
It's so strange that it works! But it does, thank you! Now I can have my interview this afternoon with no bird poop!
melilley 09:10 AM 02-15-2013
It's so strange that it works! But it does, thank you! Now I can have my interview this afternoon with no bird poop!
Maybe the birds think that they are getting "bombed" by something when the light reflects off of them. Karma's a B****...lol
Evansmom 09:11 AM 02-15-2013
Maybe the birds think that they are getting "bombed" by something when the light reflects off of them. Karma's a B****...lol
LOL! That's exactly what I wanted to do to them! I guess it's psychological warfare!
Tags:animals, backyard, gross, mother nature, nature based, poop, yard
Reply Up