Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Impending Term....
lflick 06:04 AM 09-10-2013
Hello,

I have searched all around and cannot seem to find something that fits my situation... I have just about reached the point to term a 7 month old DCB. Boy screams a blood curdling scream whenever he is not held... no improvement to be had in the past month... in fact I swear he is getting worse.... Makes everyone else unhappy and other parents have commented on his behavior... .he is showing no interest in anything independently... just very high needs. I have tried to speak with mom about this and even asked for suggestions and all I get is idk he doesn't do that at home... he plays all day... etc etc.... I am not sure what else to do at this point; however, IF I decide to term how should I go about it in this situation?
Blackcat31 06:51 AM 09-10-2013
Originally Posted by lflick:
Hello,

I have searched all around and cannot seem to find something that fits my situation... I have just about reached the point to term a 7 month old DCB. Boy screams a blood curdling scream whenever he is not held... no improvement to be had in the past month... in fact I swear he is getting worse.... Makes everyone else unhappy and other parents have commented on his behavior... .he is showing no interest in anything independently... just very high needs. I have tried to speak with mom about this and even asked for suggestions and all I get is idk he doesn't do that at home... he plays all day... etc etc.... I am not sure what else to do at this point; however, IF I decide to term how should I go about it in this situation?
What a child does or doesn't do at home, often times has NO bearing on what they DO do at daycare.....

I would simply address this issue as you said it here.... the child screams constantly and you can't allow it to continue.

I more than likely would probably just tell mom that the child isn't adjusting well and you physically and emotionally cant do it anymore. It's not fair to you, the little boy and the other daycare kids.

Keep the notice short and simple and to the point. Don't over-explain and don't offer any alternatives....just term.

It'll be ok.
Leigh 07:03 AM 09-10-2013
Hello,

Just ONE thing that could be going on...I had a kid like that who was allergic to her formula. And, I would bet that he DOES do that at home. I had to term mine because the other kids were going insane from it (another mom suggested she may have to pull her kids because they were so stressed out by it)-Black Cat is right...you're probably going to have to term. I guarantee that your first day without this child will make you feel SO serene!
AmyKidsCo 07:03 AM 09-10-2013
Yup!

Dear (PARENT)

This note is to inform you that effective (DATE), child care provided by (CENTER NAME) will be terminated. The last day of care for your child, (NAME), will be (DATE).

I will continue to provide care through the end of this date. According to our contract you are required to pay tuition for your child through this date whether or not your child is brought to care.

I have appreciated the opportunity to care for your child.

(SIGNED)
CedarCreek 07:18 AM 09-10-2013
I had one come to me at 7 months who was just like that. She just screamed and cried whenever I wasn't holding her.

I did as others suggested and did a lot of floor activities with her where I would sit with her, but not hold her. She got better. I just had to tune out the screaming for a bit as long as all other needs where met.

She is great now at 10 months. It took her a while to learn to crawl but now that she has, she is much happier being able to explore.
Lavender 01:24 PM 09-10-2013
When I had a kid like that I would get her calm then get her playing on my lap. I would slowly move her off, assuring her I was still there, and keep moving further and further away. After a while, just the verbal assurances was all she needed the majority of the time. It was a slow and difficult process but it was worth it.
lflick 02:17 PM 09-11-2013
Thanks for your support, comments, and suggestions. So before I continue I will "knock on wood"... the last two days DCB has actually played and explored! It has literally been like a switch has turned and he is like you know what I'm ok.... we still have a ways to go but let me tell you I cannot believe the sudden difference!
sharlan 02:22 PM 09-11-2013
Thanks for your support, comments, and suggestions. So before I continue I will "knock on wood"... the last two days DCB has actually played and explored! It has literally been like a switch has turned and he is like you know what I'm ok.... we still have a ways to go but let me tell you I cannot believe the sudden difference!
Knowing that you had the option to term may have relaxed you and in turn relaxed the baby.
Tags:difficult child, termination letter
Reply Up