Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Help Lice
laundrymom 02:36 PM 02-29-2016
I sent a snowflake home today. I'm in panic mode.
Been searching online but can't find a checklist.
Help.
Steps??
Protocols??
Processes?

Been a provider for 28 years. This is my first.
Thriftylady 02:55 PM 02-29-2016
Place all stuffed animals in plastic bags or run them through the dryer. Same with pillows. Wash all other washable bedding, and the like. Run the vacuum (you would anyway lol). Those would be my first steps.
laundrymom 02:59 PM 02-29-2016
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
Place all stuffed animals in plastic bags or run them through the dryer. Same with pillows. Wash all other washable bedding, and the like. Run the vacuum (you would anyway lol). Those would be my first steps.
So far I've got all the bedding sitting outside ready to wait to go into the washing machine on small hot bleach loads I've got all the toys bagged up I saran wrap the top of the trash container that I have the men and then I seal the top with a lid and put a label on there do not open till April 2017 that should work for those fortunately I have enough toys that I can do that What else should I do
Thriftylady 03:07 PM 02-29-2016
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
So far I've got all the bedding sitting outside ready to wait to go into the washing machine on small hot bleach loads I've got all the toys bagged up I saran wrap the top of the trash container that I have the men and then I seal the top with a lid and put a label on there do not open till April 2017 that should work for those fortunately I have enough toys that I can do that What else should I do
I don't remember if you have your own children or not? I would put some tea tree oil in all the shampoo in the house. Just a few drops per bottle. Other than that, I am thinking you have covered it.
thrivingchildcarecom 03:22 PM 02-29-2016
I actually have had to deal with this a couple of times. There is a business with the specific service in our community so I always reach out to them. They actually come out and will check staff & kids for signs.

I have also purchased spray to spray down furniture as well. They have sent me there check off list. I would be happy to share if you could use it. Just send me a PM with your email and I will forward it to you.
NoMoreJuice! 04:24 PM 02-29-2016
The most important thing to do is to immediately implement a NO-NIT policy. Head checks for everyone at dropoff, and parent may not go until child is cleared. If a single nit (egg) comes back to daycare, you'll be fighting this for a long time.
NoMoreJuice! 04:26 PM 02-29-2016
https://www.daycare.com/forum/showth...highlight=lice
laundrymom 06:58 PM 02-29-2016
My mass response text to parents. Thankfully. I'm clean. I treated myself. Combed everything through and not a single nit or bug. Upside to this is I think I lost all loose strands from my hair so I shouldt shed for a couple days. Lol

Ok. Miss Laundry has sprayed cots. Sprayed carpet. Washed bedding. Rotated toys. We do have a second child who has lice. They are being treated as well as original child. We will exclude from care for live bugs or nits. Please check your child thoroughly. I will be checking them all at arrival each day. We will be bagging each child's coat at arrival and I'll keep them separated in my garage until pick up. If your child has long hair, please braid or put in a secure bun to limit further transmissions. I will be washing all bedding , cots, etc daily. Please remember to wash all stuffed animals. All bedding. All clothing. Your car. Your furniture. Basically any soft surface. If more lice is found I will call for an immediate pick up. I appreciate everyone's understanding and vigilance. I'm creating my lice policy as we get through this as its my first experience. If you find any lice or have any tips to help me out, please let me know.
laundrymom 05:56 AM 03-02-2016
Well, my house has never been cleaner I dont think. I've washed all bedding after every use. I've vacuumed four times a day. Checked heads at arrival. Etc.
I think tomorrow I'll maybe stet to relax. My poor septic tank hates me. Lol.
Snowmom 08:04 AM 03-02-2016
I went through it once and was just thinking about what I'd change from the first time I handled it.

My honest answer: If it happened again to me, I'd close for a week. I know it would piss parents off, but man, that was horrid.

I'd call "The Lice Lady" out before I closed to do a screening on all the kids, myself, hubby, etc. Then I'd start bagging up the house and washing.

After a week, the kids would be allowed back with head checks upon arrival every. single. day.... two times a day.

Some people don't have a problem with it and are fine dealing with it. I'm not. It gives me the heebie jeebies like you wouldn't believe.
Tags:lice, lice policy, nits
Reply Up