Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Refusing Formula
KBCsMommy 09:12 AM 03-25-2014
I have an almost 9 mo in care who has recently started refusing her bottles. DCG would rather eat regular food than have her bottle. I talked with dcm about it and she's doing the same at home.

Any ideas on what we should do?

Thanks in advance!
TaylorTots 09:17 AM 03-25-2014
With her regular food offer her a sippy or a cup with a straw with formula (you will probably need to try a few and assist her to start).
TwinKristi 10:35 AM 03-25-2014
Yeah babies that age still need about 24-36oz of formula, you could offer 4-6oz in a cup at meals and snack and see if she'll take it.
Heidi 11:47 AM 03-25-2014
My 9 mo dcb is starting to shift now, too. He will still take a bottle, though. But, with meals I just give him a cup and "push" a little to make sure he's getting 3-4 oz. He eats a lot, though; almost everything the bigger kids do, at this point.

I use the Tupperware bell tumblers. They were hard to find, but I like them because it's what my own kids always used.
TwinKristi 11:51 AM 03-25-2014
Originally Posted by Heidi:
My 9 mo dcb is starting to shift now, too. He will still take a bottle, though. But, with meals I just give him a cup and "push" a little to make sure he's getting 3-4 oz. He eats a lot, though; almost everything the bigger kids do, at this point.

I use the Tupperware bell tumblers. They were hard to find, but I like them because it's what my own kids always used.
Hard to find?? I used to sell Tupperware and I had them coming out my ears! LOL
You can order online now and not have to go to a party or anything. we love our bell tumblers and sipper seals. They're actually recommended by dentists because they don't have the non-spill valves they suck on.
Heidi 12:00 PM 03-25-2014
Originally Posted by TwinKristi:
Hard to find?? I used to sell Tupperware and I had them coming out my ears! LOL
You can order online now and not have to go to a party or anything. we love our bell tumblers and sipper seals. They're actually recommended by dentists because they don't have the non-spill valves they suck on.
That's what I like about them, too!

ok...hard to find for me, because I don't know any Tupperware people anymore.

I ordered mine online. I think I actually got them through Amazon because it ended up being cheaper with free shipping. It's been a while since I got them, though, so I could be remembering wrong.
nannyde 12:03 PM 03-25-2014
Bottle first. If they refuse wait three hours and offer again. Bring the food amount down to the lowest possible serving size.

They need the formula for the fat. If they are eating huge portions of food they shun the formula.
blandino 12:06 PM 03-25-2014
Originally Posted by nannyde:
Bottle first. If they refuse wait three hours and offer again.
THIS ^^. Baby needs to be hungry, and then will drink the bottle. It is easy to refuse it when you aren't hungry.
KBCsMommy 12:45 PM 03-25-2014
NannyDe and Blandino- This is what I've been telling dcm that she needs the formula first and food as an afterthought. Just this morning I told her that her pediatrician would not be happy she was only eating a few ounces of formula a day.

I'm going to talk to dcm about this tonight! Thank you so much ladies
Starburst 04:34 PM 03-25-2014
Maybe she doesn't like the formula. Or maybe it gives her a tummy ache or acid reflux (did they switch brands?)
KBCsMommy 04:53 PM 03-25-2014
Originally Posted by Starburst:
Maybe she doesn't like the formula. Or maybe it gives her a tummy ache or acid reflux (did they switch brands?)
DCG does have diagnosed acid reflux and drinks Alimentum (YUCK!). But shes been on the same formula since about 3 weeks old. I think this is why she prefers solid food instead!
Reply Up