Daycare.com Forum Daycare Management Software

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 01-14-2015, 12:57 PM
Unregistered

Question Napping Issues 2 yr old

I am having napping issues with a 2yr old he takes an hour to an hour and a half to fall asleep I have to sit next to him until he sleeps and I am tired of it I have other things to do. His mom asked me when we stop naps I told
Her we don't and what the state guidelines are for napping children. Any ideas on what I can do with this kid? If I don't sit next to him he plays claps sings and sits up on his cot. Done wasting time sitting next to him everyday.
Old 01-14-2015, 02:38 PM
Daycare.com Member

I have one like this as well. All I do is minimize his distractions- make sure he is in a very quiet and secluded area. I have had to do this every day for a year now, but the length of time it has taken has progressively gotten shorter- down to 2 minutes now. I lay him on his belly on the mat, put blanket over him, up to his shoulders, and I sit at the end of the mat. I always grab my phone and go on here or Facebook- I give him zero attention so he understands it's time. All I can say to help is that the time he falls asleep should shorten- I know it's frustrating- I though about putting him back in a pack n play, but didn't feel like another transition when he was ready for a mat again. Hang in there!
Old 01-14-2015, 04:45 PM
Unregistered

I had a child like this. Started off well with nap, would sleep the entire time when he first came to me. Then he started having issues during nap after 8 months after being here (spitting, putting feet up on my wall, waking up other children, clapping and making disruptive noises, etc). Talked to parents, they said same at home would play and jump on the bed, take clothes off and pee on the bed, etc which they watched on their monitor. Finally couldn't take it anymore because I wasn't about to spend nap time which is my break time dealing with this when the parents were not even doing their part at home to make a nap routine. Changed my policies regarding nap time, that if a child is being disruptive the first 30-45 mins of nap they will be sent home for the remainder of nap time. This child had other issues and ended terming them. It was the best decision ever.

Tags
2 year old, napping issues