Daycare.com Forum Daycare Management Software

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 08-31-2011, 10:08 AM
Growing1atime

Unhappy No Nap Two Year Old

My new DCB, 2 year old boy, refuses to sleep here.

Mom told me she rocks him to sleep still. However, older sister came for a few weeks for end of summer and she has informed me that mom actually lays down with dcb in her bed and watches tv with him while he naps. I can't possible compete with that!

Any ideas? Mom has told me she is ok with him not napping here. But come on, have you seen a two year old around 2 o'clock that hasn't had a nap?

HELP! A little info, he is only here 2 days a week, and every other week 3 days.
Old 08-31-2011, 10:16 AM
New Daycare.com Member

I don't think you can make him nap if he won't go to sleep, I would have him do a quiet time for a couple of hours - put him in a quiet place and have him rest, no playing during this time. If behavioral issues arise because he gets really tired, manage them just like you would any other behavioral issues. If they get out of control, ask for the parents help with them just like you normally would.
Old 08-31-2011, 10:27 AM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

I have a policy in my hand book that says that I don't offer services on non nappers. They don't have to sleep but they must lay quietly either in bed or play pen or mat. For the full 2-3 hrs. I had a little guy same situation at home too and we tried napping in a play pen the first time. It didn't go so well so mom picked him up so he could nap with her at her office. But a couple months later we tried again and he ashually stayed in his play pen but cried for a bit. Every day it got better and better until 2 wks he was no longer crying. Now I have him in a big boy bed and he doesn't get out of bed but falls fast a sleep. It repetition every day the same thing so he understands your routine. Good luck!!
Old 08-31-2011, 10:57 AM
Growing1atime

Thanks! I have been trying different things to see what would work. But I think you are right about having the same routine when he is here. Unfortunately while his older sister is here he won't let me near him most of the time without crying. She goes to school next week. Whew!

How long do you think is ok for them to cry it out?
Old 08-31-2011, 11:13 AM
Daycare.com Member

It makes me sad that parents who KNOW their child will be in daycare will set them up for this kind of aweful napless day.
Old 08-31-2011, 11:57 AM
Growing1atime

Yes! It makes me sad too. I put him in the pack in play and he screams. I put him on the sleep mat and he just sobs and looks like I am a horrible person. I feel so bad. Being new at this it is hard for me. I hope he adjusts well.

I hadn't thought about putting that in my contract. But naps sure or helpful to reboot the daycare room and get things tidy.
Old 08-31-2011, 04:40 PM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

Don't feel bad about non-napping kids. Thats a HUGE issue with home daycares so don't feel bad if he is not adjusting or not napping. There is only so much you can do and you really are going to drive yourself crazy if you blame yourself everytime they cry or don't want to do something.

Tags
2 year old, napping, won't sleep